Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Would you agree?

(10 Posts)
Memina Sun 19-Jun-11 22:19:03

Hi all,

Just generally looking for some opinions on this so please share your thoughts.

I'm a childminder and my husband is registered as my assistant. This was done so he could mainly take responsibility for my two children therefore allowing me to care for 3 children in the early years group plus my two as long as he was with me. Great!

However since we started he has really began to love the job and has a a nac with the kids. We where dicussing him taking more of an active role with the older ones and even doing the school pick ups etc.

I do know of some childminders who work with thier partners and do this but just wondered what the gereal consensus was.

Would you agree to a new childminder haveing her husband collect the children from school? Obviously this is cleared with Ofsted.

Thanks

Memina

HSMM Mon 20-Jun-11 07:34:17

I work with my husband. He is fully registered in his own right. Parents love it. We have not had any negative feedback at all.

Memina Mon 20-Jun-11 08:20:03

How did you aproach it with them?

HSMM Mon 20-Jun-11 08:28:32

I was working on my own and after he was made redundant for the 2nd time, he was home with the children all Summer. I obviously informed the parents that he would be in the house all day. The parents loved the fact that the children were interacting with him so well that when he re-registered to work with me, they were all very supportive and happy.

We can now take on additional children and generally people see it as even more like a 'traditional' home environment, with a couple caring for the children (one of the single Mums particularly likes the male influence). We have had no negative feedback. Having said that .... we do have mostly boys and I wonder whether parents with boys are attracted to the male influence, or parents with girls avoid us, or if it is just coincidence.

MovingAndScared Mon 20-Jun-11 08:31:56

Yes as a parent would be very happy - so long as you emphasise how hands on he is - I did know a childminder whose husband was her assistant but as far as I can see he didn't do much!

sandym3g Tue 21-Jun-11 15:40:33

I work with my husband as registered childminders. In the mornings he takes one child to nursery and takes another child with him. He used to take the older ones to school but it works out better for us to swap around. Only because the route to the school is easier for me as the nursery run was too much for me.

It's great that we are both registered. As it means that we can do our own thing with the mindee's that we each look after. In fact he's gone out to an indoor play centre. Originally I couldn't go with him as I was due a mindee to look after myself but that was changed. Oh well gives me chance to see some of the tennis.

AMYJ1234 Tue 21-Jun-11 19:18:50

I think its great having your husband working with you - double the pair of hands - logistically works well - you dont have to take babies on a school run in the pouring rain cos you can share the work load! I also think its nice to have a male influence in what is otherwise a very female environment.
Go for it!!

Memina Tue 21-Jun-11 23:16:00

Great thanks for your help.

My parents currently know that my husband is now at home and does help me by keeping my little one at home whilst on the school run. I'm still quite nervous tho.

My hubby is great with the kids and loves the running around in the garden with the boys! he had them waxing his car today and they loved it, although he had to do it all over again as kids left funny patches all over grin

ChitChattingagain Wed 22-Jun-11 09:52:56

Tell them that! Tell them the activities which your DH has done with the children, how they've responded, and that you would like to make it a more formal arrangement. I'm sure they'll be happy with that.

LaCiccolina Wed 22-Jun-11 12:34:17

Yup wouldnt bother me. I think its good to have a blokes view on things around. Can encourage different types of play too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now