Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

What to do with a neighbour who is a Foster carer and thug

(12 Posts)
tectime Sun 19-Jun-11 17:37:06


We have neighbours, husband and wife, who foster teenage children, one of whom is disabled. The wife does the fostering whilst the husband has a separate job.

My other neighbours and I live on a shared drive with the Foster couple, and we have npticed on many occasions that the man will swear F###Off Ba###rd to the children even if they kick a ball into his drive. He does this to all children, and uses his presence to intimidate. He can also be a nuisance when walking along any part of the shared drive, but is careful to never pick on an individual if more than one adult is present.

I have had quarrels with him in the past when his friends have parked in front of my house, and has led to occasions where he has verbally abused me and threatened to cause serious harm I have threatened him with the Police, but he laughs it off, and chides "Go on, then!". Whilst not taking things further, I have logged incidents with the Police.

This man has friends and enemies and no one in between.

We could go to the foster authorties at the local council. I worry that they may say that if they have uncovered no issues with children in his care then there is nothing else of concern to them. I also worry about foster authorities closing ranks to protect themselves. What should we as neighbours do?

I do have another question, would this guy have passed a CRB check to become a foster carer.

tectime Sun 19-Jun-11 17:40:58

I hasten to add that we do not know if this foster carer has been thuggish to wards in his charge. I guess if he had been, the council would have acted long ago. But the consensus among neighbours is "how the hell did he and his wife become foster carers", more importantly, "him".

LaurieFairyCake Sun 19-Jun-11 17:46:42

Of course he'd have passed a CRB check if he's never been prosecuted for anything - complain about his threats, ask the police to prosecute - then he'll have a criminal record.

They are then checked every year.

nervatious Sun 19-Jun-11 17:58:09

Unfortunately CRB check is not an indication of good character, or that the person is not a criminal - it just means they havn't been caught for anything. People can go on being evil for years with a clean crb. I suppose that's another debate! This person sounds awful tho, hope it improves.

Mamaz0n Sun 19-Jun-11 18:04:03

he doesn't sound like a great neighbour but there is nothing to suggest he isn't a good foster carer.

IF you have had an issue with him then report that issue.

tectime Sun 19-Jun-11 18:12:08

It was reported to the council once, so that it was logged with them. I do not think anything transpired as he resorted to thuggish type a month later.

Question is do I ignore and appease him, or take it down the legal direction with an outcome that could make matters worse.

karen2010 Sun 19-Jun-11 19:31:35

do you own or rent?

I ask because if you own when you sell you are going to mention him on legal paper work.

Have you rung SS and see what they say?

tectime Sun 19-Jun-11 19:44:33

Hi Karen 2010

None of the neighbours have wanted to pursue it as we all own our homes, and we may wish to move. And yes, we therefore don't want any formal dispute as we would have to declare this when selling our properties.

It was hoped that when it was logged a few years ago with the council that they would underatken some random surveillance of the foster carer husband (using RIPA I guess) - but they are still here so no follow up I guess.

pippin26 Mon 20-Jun-11 11:46:16

Sorry to hear of the problems

If you are having problems with this guy - instead of just 'threatening' him with the police - actually call them and report his behaviour. he laughs it of/at you because he is fairly confident that you won't - due to previous 'threats' of doing so has amounted to nothing.

how about having a word with your local community beat officer and asking their advice
if there a problems speak to environmental health

with regards to the foster caring... do you have any concerns at all about the foster childrens welfare because of this man? if you do you have a duty to those kids to report to social services. if you are not sure - you can speak to social services anon or even NSPCC.

Toughasoldboots Mon 20-Jun-11 12:03:30

I would call ss and have a chat with them, stress that you don't want to be identified. I did this with a neighbour was was dragging a nine year old out while delivering takeaways until 1am. They were also letting him run amongst cars on a busy road and generally neglected him.

I do wonder how stringent some checks are for foster carers. He was removed from them about a week later so they must listen sometimes.

MissVerinder Mon 20-Jun-11 21:58:29

I would call SS and speak to the manager of the fostering team. If you're very concerned, put the question to them "hypothetically speaking." Personally, I don't think you would be identified by SS if you voiced a concern.

tectime Tue 21-Jun-11 06:54:44

Thank you, I will discuss this with neighbours - with a view to speaking to Head of Foster Services.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: