Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Do chidminders need a new name?

(52 Posts)
KatyMac Sat 18-Jun-11 19:33:15

Something that reflects the job we 'actually' do rather than just babysitting/minding children; Early Year Educator or something nice & professional sounding

I'm off to do something else (possibly sleepwink) so I thought you could have a big argument nice Saturday night chat about it

SuePurblybilt Sat 18-Jun-11 19:37:09

Absolutely. Though even people in practice often can't tell the difference between the qualifications and what they mean so I think the whole sector could do with an overhaul tbh. I had a student the other day tell me that the Early Years Practitioner qualification was the same as EYPS and I have heard of post-grad people being overlooked because 'they don't have NVQ L3'.hmm

HSMM Sat 18-Jun-11 20:29:57

Yes, but I don't know what. NCMA did something like this and came up with all sorts of rubbish like 'Professional Home Carers'.

KatyMac Sat 18-Jun-11 20:52:59

I'm back

It is unfair; can't think of a really good name tho'

AMYJ1234 Sat 18-Jun-11 21:08:38

Early Years Professionals?

SuePurblybilt Sat 18-Jun-11 21:10:27

That's already a very specific qualification AMY, sadly, though it is a phrase often used to describe anyone at a certain level of practice too.

AMYJ1234 Sat 18-Jun-11 21:26:09

oh yes - forgot! 'Childminder' is ok i think - i dont mind. Its when people still refer to me as a babysitter that drives me mad!
I think its more the tags/pre conceived ideas associated to the care thats the prob for me ie nurseries provide education and childminders sit at home not providing education etc etc that is more the problem?

KatyMac Sat 18-Jun-11 21:58:31

But labels create pictures in peoples minds I'm not sure 'minding children' is what I do

AMYJ1234 Sat 18-Jun-11 22:30:33

yes your right - gosh im being really slow tonight - shouldn't have had that bottle of wine!!
Maybe though it doesnt matter about the name -(we dont just mind children thats for sure)
What about the term 'nanny'? Thats just a word (and not really the most flattering I suppose!!) but creates the image of someone providing a high quality service - maybe even the the best service i dont know?

KatyMac Sat 18-Jun-11 22:34:27

Amy childminder are required by law to implement EYFS, often we are qualified to NVQ level 3 (or higher) we can claim for Early Years Funding and we work at a ratio of 1:3

Nannies don't even have to 'register' except for financial reasons; there are excellent ones but I think childminding as a profession need a higher profile and a better name

PotPourri Sat 18-Jun-11 22:39:05

Thing is, most people use childminders to do just that. Yes, they want more than just minding their child, but that is the main part of how the relationship comes about. Are there many people out there who send children to a childminder for quality education? as opposed to choosing a childcare arrangement that they like while they are at work (i.e. the children are minded and they like the extras provided). To the contrary, many people send children to nursery for educational purposes. Personally, I don't see a great deal of point chaning the name. Only name that woudl fit in my opinion is child carer - but that doesn't put minders in a category as such

AMYJ1234 Sat 18-Jun-11 22:59:41

Yes I agree with you potpourri.
I'm an accredited childminder and can provide nursery education for 2 year olds and over. However parents will choose me, I feel because they get £60 a week knocked off their bill for the free 15 hours per week! Thats not to say they dont appreciate everything I do, or how happy their children are...its just the way it is. Also, if they were looking for education for their children, I doubt they'd even consider a childminder - they would automatically go to a nursery.
Parents just need someone to look after/ mind their children whilst they are at work and that's it! Really, these are young children and being 'cared for' really well is actually a job childminders can do really well.
It is a low status job, and we do so much more than I think we're credited for, but at the end of the week if ive done a good job, parents and children are happy, bills are paid then its a job done well whatever my title!

fraktious Sun 19-Jun-11 07:28:19

Nannies are a separate job - they provide care in the child's home.

I wonder whether a tiered system would work to reflect advanced training etc, but I suppose that would be about as effective as inspection gradings....

The name does unfortunately have a negative connotation though and I'm not sure what one can do about that, if anything.

purepurple Sun 19-Jun-11 07:41:59

Early years practitioner is the term I use in my assignments for my degree. It is a bit of a mouthful though. Prefer it to nursery nurse, which I hate as it doesn't bear any relavance to what I do either.
So a childmimder would be a home-based early years practitioner. A bit long-winded.

HSMM Sun 19-Jun-11 09:45:01

But ... We're not just early years, we can have children at secondary school ...

KatyMac Sun 19-Jun-11 10:02:55

Childcare Practitioner?

Home-based educator (confusions with HS I feel)?

Home-based learning co-ordinator?

purepurple Sun 19-Jun-11 10:08:29

Home-based pedagogue?

KatyMac Sun 19-Jun-11 10:14:57

Might that be a bit scary?

I like it btw; defined as "encompassing not only children's educational needs but their social and emotional development"

purepurple Sun 19-Jun-11 10:35:09

If we are to have a raised status that actually reflects what we do (I include everyone that cares for children that are not teachers, so nursery staff, childminders, nannies), then we need a new title.
I love the idea of pedagogy and definitely think of myself as a pedagogue. It's a very holistic term that really does define what we do.

KatyMac Sun 19-Jun-11 10:37:33

Oh I agree

I love the word and the philosophy; but it is hard to get it across to people/parents

I have employed good pedagogues (but they don't know what they are)

AMYJ1234 Sun 19-Jun-11 14:39:09

Id prefer to be called a childminder than a pedagogue!!

KatyMac Sun 19-Jun-11 14:47:59

Most people don't understand the word anyway which is why it would be unsuitable to use

But what it 'is' is what I do; and I would like that recognised

I don't 'mind' children, I teach them how to learn; well at least I hope I do

KatyMac Sun 19-Jun-11 15:25:35

I do think it needs some thought

redglow Sun 19-Jun-11 18:21:01

Everybody knows what a childminder is. Why bother giving yourself a fancy name. By the way nannies have to qualify to the same level to get ofsted registererd and thats only to level two.

KatyMac Sun 19-Jun-11 18:23:53

But Nannies can't claim Early years funding (yet - although tbh i think that should change)

"Everyone knows what a childminders is" not really true; otherwise we wouldn't have regular threads about "my childminder....." when they aren't childminders

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now