Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How much to pay a babysitter?

(9 Posts)
EmilyHallow Sat 18-Jun-11 12:45:36

I have four DCs- 12, 7, 2 and 1 years old respectively. DH and I go out together about once or twice a week, and up till now we have used a wonderful babysitter who was the daughter of friends. But she has now gone to university and we are trialling others.
The only thing is, I'm never sure how much to pay them. What is the going rate? We paid Cesca (the old babysitter) £12 an hour, which I know was pretty generous but it was because we'd known her so long, the kids loved her and she was saving for university.
I've asked around a bit but have received very varied answers, so help please! She wouldn't need to cook dinner or clean or anything- just watch the kids for a few hours a week.
What's reasonable?

mollymole Sat 18-Jun-11 12:50:10

I think to pay less than £12 an hour for someone looking a baby, a toddler , a 7 year old and a 12 year would be wrong IMO you should be paying more

EmilyHallow Sat 18-Jun-11 12:53:32

Really? That's interesting, heard lots of people saying less but maybe you're right. The baby and toddler would probably hopefully be asleep the whole time anyways. I got such conflicting information- one person said £20, another said £5! Not sure...

feckwit Sat 18-Jun-11 12:58:54

I work for sitters and get minimum wage, so just short of £6 per hour...

catsareevil Sat 18-Jun-11 12:59:23

I think that £12 per hour is generous for babysitting, but should ensure that you can get someone good who will be keen to babysit when you want them to. I would expect £6-10/hour, depending on how many awake childen there will be to deal with, how much care they need, and whether the person that you get to babysit has childcare qualifications or experience.

EmilyHallow Sat 18-Jun-11 13:06:04

Catsareevil she would probably have two/three to deal with, not too much care needed- they'd probably be doing homework or watching TV. I want somebody with experience but not too bothered about childcare qualifications.

nannynick Sat 18-Jun-11 13:08:55

By Babysitting are you meaning care between 6pm and 2am (so the unregulated hours of childcare) ? I think you do given you say that the youngest two would typically be in bed already.

An experienced, qualified nanny doing evening babysitting may well cost around £10 an hour... it will vary due to location, some may be happy with £6-£8 an hour.

I don't feel the number of children make a difference, just like when nannying. It's care for all the children in the family, not a per-child thing.

Up to you and the babysitter to agree terms on what is charged and what you get for that charge.

jade80 Sat 18-Jun-11 13:11:15

£12 an hour sounds very generous, assuming it's someone not paying tax. Much better than you'd get per hour working as a professional childcare worker!

In east midlands I charge £12 an hr but am a qualified childrens nurse and very experienced night nanny/ad-hoc nanny. This rate is the same no matter whether I babysit for 1 or 6 children.

Anything from £7-£12 an hr would be fair depending on babysitters experience etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now