Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

According to my DD, she spends the whold day watching TV at her childminders!

(158 Posts)
mummyloveslucy Fri 17-Jun-11 21:01:58

Hi, my 6 year old daughter is home educated and has recently started going to a child minder one day a week. I asked on facebook if anyone knew any good CM's and a friend of my husbands family mentioned her daughter, who used to be a nursery nurse. She's only in her early 20's but I didn't feel we could really say no, so we though we'd give her a try. I sent my DD with a big bag of things to entertain herself, eg pens, paper, puzzles, books etc. When I picked her up she was asleep on the sofa. The CM said she'd been good etc. When I asked her what she'd done, she said watched cbeebies and a DVD. She didn't do any drawings or play with any of her things either. I noticed that the TV has been on every time we've visited, and if it's on, DD will watch it. She has an 18 month old daughter who DD has become very fond of, but no other CM children.
I'm not sure wether to say something very tactful to enquire about what she's been doing there, just carry on taking her, or what? I find these things really awkward! I don't mind her watching a DVD or some TV, but 6 hours worth is just too much. She goes on a day that's usually a chill out day, but even so, I usually encourage her to play games, read to her and involve her in what I'm doing.
Am I asking too much though?

EveryonesJealousOfGingers Fri 17-Jun-11 21:04:00

Hmmmm. Is she Ofsted registered? Why did you feel the need to send stuff with DD for her to do? My CM does different things with her mindees each day with a teeny weeny amount of TV on the odd occasion.

BooyHoo Fri 17-Jun-11 21:06:04

you found someone via facebook and didn't feel you coudl say no? lost of research you did there wasn't it?

is this woman registered? why didn't you go through teh list of available CMers on the ncma website? they are all registered

BooyHoo Fri 17-Jun-11 21:06:38

lots of research.

Flisspaps Fri 17-Jun-11 21:08:20

I wouldn't expect a parent to send in activities for their child to do. Then again, I don't normally have the TV on (have the radio on) though, but then I have under 3s at the moment.

Perhaps ask if she could provide a log of what they've done that day? Childminders only have to provide 'structured' activities for under 5s under the EYFS, so whilst you might not be happy with a 'chillout day', Ofsted probably wouldn't have a huge amount to say about it - they're mainly interested in the little ones.

If your DD is getting lots of stimulation and activities at home every other day, it's probably quite nice for her to have a day doing nothing.

mummyloveslucy Fri 17-Jun-11 21:10:29

I sent her some things as the CM doesn't have anything appart from baby toys for her own DD. I thought some familliar things would also help my daughter to feel like it was more of a home from home.
I don't think she is ofsted regestared. I assumed she was a propper registered CM, but when I asked how much she charged, she was really unsure and just said "how much do you want to pay? That was awkward! We agreed on £25 for 6 hours. I think that's about right? I hope.

BooyHoo Fri 17-Jun-11 21:12:02

why did you send her to an unregistered minder?

seriously if you dont care enough to find a proper CMer tehn you can hardly complain when you dont get proper chidlcare.

mummyloveslucy Fri 17-Jun-11 21:15:12

I found it very hard finding CM's. I found a list, but how do you know who's good, without going to see all of them? That's why I asked if anyone could recommend a good one.
Because they are friends of my DH's family and I've known the mum for many years, it's really awkward to say "no, I'd rather shop around thanks".

NickNacks Fri 17-Jun-11 21:16:51

You don't think she's registered???

What exactly do you know about her?

mummyloveslucy Fri 17-Jun-11 21:16:59

Of corse I care about her! angry Which is why I thought it'd be good to have someone that we know rather than sending her to a stranger.

SarkyLady Fri 17-Jun-11 21:17:34

I'm confused.

How can she be being home ed at an unregistered childminder?

NickNacks Fri 17-Jun-11 21:18:26

no but you could have said 'Great, is she reg'd with Oftsed? No? OK well I need someone who is so thanks anyway!'

BooyHoo Fri 17-Jun-11 21:18:44

erm, are you for real? you bloody well go and see them all!! how do you expect to get teh right person for your DD if you dont go and meet them and see how tehy work? and no it isn't awkward you ask if she's registered and if she says no tehn you keep looking. i can'believe you think it's too much effort to go and visit CMers when it is somethinga s important as leaving your chidl with them.

KatyMac Fri 17-Jun-11 21:19:12

She is a babysitter; this is what babysitters do

Childminders are professional, trained, insured & registered

mummyloveslucy Fri 17-Jun-11 21:19:31

I've known her family for many years and I've seen her quite a few times at MIL's house. She was a nursery nurse before having her DD.

BooyHoo Fri 17-Jun-11 21:19:52

sarky, the child is HE at her own hosue 4 days a week but goes to a CMer one day a week.(teh day she isn't HE'd)

NickNacks Fri 17-Jun-11 21:20:50

Agree 100% KatyMac!!

cat64 Fri 17-Jun-11 21:22:48

Message withdrawn

Grabaspoon Fri 17-Jun-11 21:22:55

Agree with everyone else - she obviously isn't registered and is basically babysitting at her house for £4 an hour.

cat64 Fri 17-Jun-11 21:23:05

Message withdrawn

WhoWhoWhoWho Fri 17-Jun-11 21:23:17

Well said Katymac.

You go and see all the cms in your area. You read their ofsted reports (though seeing them interact with other mindees is more illuminating than an ofsted report IMO), you read their references, you look at their training logs and their policies. You look around their setting at all the toys and resources they have and you watch how they interact with your dd.

KatyMac Fri 17-Jun-11 21:23:27

Which is illegal

BoysAreLikeDogs Fri 17-Jun-11 21:23:39

I think you will have to massively adjust your expectations if you are going to continue using unregistered care

KatyMac Fri 17-Jun-11 21:24:26

Sorry I meant babysitting at their house is illegal

WhoWhoWhoWho Fri 17-Jun-11 21:24:41

Hmm let me re-phrase that.

You go and see all the registered childminders in your area.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now