Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Self employed nanny - this old chestnut!

(7 Posts)
SimpleAsABC Fri 17-Jun-11 19:09:07

Have previously been an "employed" nanny. At that time I'd have advocated that a nanny was always employed but I am now wondering about instances in which a nanny is not...

For example, I have been advertising on a childcare website and have booked dates in for the summer. I have specified dates / times I am available.

Should I still be asking the parents to sort out tax and n.i. or can I do it myself?

ytseb Fri 17-Jun-11 21:52:59

I recently asked the inland revenue about going self employed for nannying and they said that I could. You have to register with them and do your tax returns at the end of the year. I have been asked by several families about work, and they don't want to do the tax and insurance, you can also accept the vouchers if you are ofsted registered and you will have to put them through as an income when doing your tax return.
Hope this helps

fraktious Sat 18-Jun-11 00:51:48

Nannies temping continuously can be. Other than that situation I have no idea why anyone would even want to as there are far more downsides to being SE than employed.

I would get anything from the IR in writing from at least 2 sources. The penalties for the families can be very high.

RitaMorgan Sat 18-Jun-11 12:25:41

I am a SE nanny - I do ad hoc days, temp contracts, babysitting etc. Do my own tax and accept childcare vouchers.

mranchovy Sat 18-Jun-11 12:49:29

On the limited information given, there is a good chance that you can be self employed for this kind of work. You do need to talk to HMRC, the best people to talk to are probably the Employment Status Team rather than the Newly Self Employed team in the first instance.

Go here and follow the link 'Contact the Status Customer Service Team'.

nannynick Sat 18-Jun-11 13:22:58

If you want some background reading in to how the Employment Status Team will try to determine what employment status, take a look at the Employment Status Manual.

mranchovy Sat 18-Jun-11 15:59:18

Get a web site, print some business cards and maybe some stationery and flyers. These 'badges of trade' are significant pointers towards self employment which HMRC probably won't tell you about.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: