Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childminder for Second Child

(8 Posts)
MumofHearts Wed 15-Jun-11 23:50:05

I am looking at childcare options for when I return to work after maternity leave. I have 2 children aged 2yrs and the other just 2 months. I wondered whether it is usual for childminders to charge the hourly charge for both children, so £14 an hour for 2 children for for a childminder who charges £7 I'm guessing this is the case but wondered if some gave a reduction for the second child.

sandym3g Thu 16-Jun-11 06:29:28

Some childminders have a sibling rate. Either the one that has the shortest hours gets it or if they have the same hours the older one ready for when the child starts school. Thats how we work anyway.

HSMM Thu 16-Jun-11 07:25:40

You'll get a mixture of responses. I charge the same for each child and have a longer notice period for siblings.

NannyBeth Thu 16-Jun-11 07:52:31

A lot of families find it works out cheaper (and logistically easier!) to hire a nanny once they 2+ children! Where are you located and when do u finish mat leave? I am looking for a job if the timings work out!

looneytune Thu 16-Jun-11 08:03:00

I charge the same per hour as they are both taking up a space and if anything, it can be harder having siblings (arguments etc. when older). I also have an 8 week notice period for siblings in stead of 4.

nbee84 Thu 16-Jun-11 09:18:16

It usually works out cheaper to get a nanny when you have 3 children, but in an area where childcare is expensive and cm's charge £7 per hour then it's time to start totting up figures to see if a nanny would be an option.

Cm's are around that price where I live (just outside the M25 and a commuter area) and an experienced nanny would be between £10 and £12 gross per hour. You have to factor in employer's n.i. on top of that, a kitty for activities, lunch for nanny, petrol costs and also paid holidays (not all cm's charge for theirs, but around here they tend to) - you can see why a few sums need to be done to ensure costs are similar. You've also got the hassle of becoming an employer and dealing with HMRC.

But you get advantages too - the children don't have to be up, dressed and breakfasted to be out the door early in the morning, you have more direction in how your childrens day runs and what they eat, you get child related chores done like their washing and bedding changed and depending on the finish time they could be bathed and in their pj's for when you arrive home.

MumofHearts Thu 16-Jun-11 17:30:01

Thanks for all your responses. It seems like a nanny is the best option and when my dd (the older child) starts nursery I could look at getting a childminder for my ds.. I still don't know when I'm returning to work the plan was September but I'm thinking that may be too soon. I'm in hertfordshire. A friend of mine suggested an au pair but with a baby I guess a nanny would be better as they would be qualified in childcare whereas generally an au pair wouldn't am i right in assuming this?

nbee84 Thu 16-Jun-11 17:47:11

You're right about the au pair not being an option for a small baby, they are usually younger with a bit of 'babysitting' experience and they are here to experience our country and maybe learn the language whilst working around 25 hours a week in exchange for board and lodgings and some 'pocket money' - therefore more suited to families with school aged children.

But nannies aren't always qualified - it is down to you to advertise and interview nannies that you feel have the right qualifications and/or experience.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now