Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

childminder or nursery

(7 Posts)
Tarry Wed 15-Jun-11 18:54:41

I have 4 children aged between 3 and 16 and we live in Marshalswick, St Albans. We have had two childminders and two positive experiences. I would always choose a childminder over a nursery - no question. For years our current childminder has had people queing up for spaces. Now, she unexpectedly has two spaces as two children have moved to another county and there appears to be barely any demand. Is this bad luck, bad timing or is there a preference for nurseries over childminders. Having spent many years worrying about this topic I am wondering what the current thinking is....

NickNacks Wed 15-Jun-11 19:21:52

As a CM also in the South East, I have never been so busy. I think one of th issues your CM may be facing is the old saying 'all your eggs in one basket' meaning she's probably feeling it worse now two mindees have gone and not just the usual one at a time.

No doubt the phone will start ringing again and she'll have a waiting list again. Also the inflex of Sept enquiries will take off over the next few weeks so should help too.

What's her advertising like? Word of mouth is always best (hinting at you!) but nothing wrong with being pro-active and contacting parents via childcare sites and handing out leaflets at the local summer fayres etc.

Best of luck to her!

DuelingFanjo Wed 15-Jun-11 19:23:11

why are you worried about what other people choose to do?

scarlettsmummy2 Wed 15-Jun-11 19:26:51

I have done both with my daughter and I can honestly say the childminder is far superior. I think if you get a good one they are worth their weight in gold. I am now pregnant again and really hope the childminder will be able to take this baby too as I really don't want to be stressed with nursery again!

Memina Wed 15-Jun-11 20:54:39

This is interesting to me for a number of reasons. I'm a childminder and have two children of my own.

From a mummy point of view and before I became a childminder, I did both with my son (now 5). He did 3 days at childminder and two at nursery. He is a really lively boy with a very outgoing personality so this worked really well for him. On the other hand my little girl is very quiet and shy and I really dont believe she will 'survive' nursery just yet (now 2).

As a childminder I would agree with scarlettsmummy2 that if you find a great one they (in my opinion) are the best option. Children learn better whilst doing everyday activities and through play. They can feel more secure when there is just one person caring for them rather than a variety of nursery workers.

I definatly have noticed a sudden lul in enquiries compared to last year but most of my parents are expecting or on maternity leave so anticipate next year is going to be very busy!

Mum2Luke Sun 19-Jun-11 22:23:26

Personally I would choose a childminder but that's because I am one lol! Seriously though it depends on what you want from childcare, do you want home from home environment or lots of children in different rooms in a nursery?

It depends on what you want for your child and it depends on the child too, what do they thrive in? Are they shy or extrovert?

Hope that helps. Good luck.

redglow Sun 19-Jun-11 22:39:29

Having worked in nurseries I would go for a childminder, much more personal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now