Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

I'm a registered childminder and I just do after school pickups. I have a question.

(6 Posts)
tucs Wed 15-Jun-11 10:02:36

In a couple of weeks I have a longstanding appointment so I won't be able to pick up on that day.

Would it be ok (ofsted wise) for my 16 year old daughter (CRB checked) to pick up my 2 mindees from school on that day ? The school is round the corner, my dd is very resposible and the mindees are 7 and 9 and very well behaved. My dd would look after them at home for 2 hours and my 15 year old dd would be here too. I know that the parents would be absolutely fine with this, I have looked after their children for 2 years, and I know that the mindees would love it too as they love being with my daughters.

Is it ok or is it a no no ?

embot1000 Wed 15-Jun-11 10:30:03

ofsted wise a big no no!
however if you talked to the parents and they agreed it could be a seperate arrangement with your daughter.. tech though she shouldnt be paid.
when i was minding my husband was approved by ofsted and had crb and first aid so was able to be an assistant and was able to be left with children with parents written consent on the rare occasions i had to do a pick up and leave a poorly one behind etc. this is something you should look into.

Numnums Wed 15-Jun-11 11:02:31

Agree with previous poster...it's a BIG No No...it's just not about being CRB checked it's about not having Paediatric First Aid (my DH works for the police and is CRB checked but he is never left alone with the kids as per Ofsted requirements)...I would just explain to parents and perhaps they can arrange for their kids to have a play-date or for them to collect them from school directly.

tucs Wed 15-Jun-11 14:04:56

Ok, thanks, I'd hoped that as they were over 5yrs old that it would be ok.

I won't risk it but I will phone Ofsted to ask what my dc need to do in order to be assistants for the future.

Thanks again

mrsthomsontobe Wed 15-Jun-11 20:45:26

if they were both over 8 then you could possibly have got away with if minding children over the age of 8 then you dont need to be registered and also using the 2 hour rule.

tucs Wed 15-Jun-11 20:56:30

Thank you Mrs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now