Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Do you have your opening times on display

(24 Posts)
Saltire Wed 15-Jun-11 08:40:58

Just curious as recently one set of parents have been arriving earlier and earlier - not by much, jsut 2/3/4/5 minutes but it's still eaelirer than when i open (07.30). if she says "oh it'll be a 7.45 drop off tomorrow I know it will be 7.30, so if she says "it'll be a 7.30 drop off, I'm worried that it'll start being as early as 7.15.

KatyMac Wed 15-Jun-11 08:41:44

I don't come downstairs until I am ready to open the door

Saltire Wed 15-Jun-11 08:43:58

Ah but I am downstairs - getting breakfast and stuff organised.
Also they make quite a lot of noise
things like
"oh x you are so clever kicking the ball" or "X DON'T GO ON THE ROAD"
DH has said "they are very loud, you can't really leave them on the doorstep at that time of morning can you"

Saltire Wed 15-Jun-11 08:44:13

Plus the child can now reach my doorbell!

HSMM Wed 15-Jun-11 08:52:59

I have a sign on my door - NO CALLERS BEFORE 0800

I had a family that kept turning up 5 or 10 mins early, regardless of what I said, or suggested, so since then I have been much tougher. If this family is disturbing your neighbours, then that is not your fault.

thebody Wed 15-Jun-11 10:01:56

i have this exact problem with one of my parents(lovely people but just needed a nudge) i open at 8am.. they were arriving at 7.45.. so i opened the door the first time as i actually thought i must have been late..

next time it happened texted dad on the doorstep to say i actually wasnt ready to recieve the child yet and could he wait in the car....so i was in control of the situation..

or alternativly you could ask straight out if they want to change the contractual hours as they seem to need care for longer..hint hint...

finally just leave curtains closed and simply open the window and call down to parent onh step that the setting isnt ready until normal opening hours and make them wait..

thebody Wed 15-Jun-11 10:14:21

also if the child keeps pressing your doorbell thats ridiculous.. have a firm word.. not acceptable at all imo

embot1000 Wed 15-Jun-11 10:34:55

you def should do a review with them... in the attendance book they sign the hours are recorded and point out that they coming earlier than agreed in the contract and you def say that if they continue to come outside the contracted hours you'll charge them double time.

southernbelle77 Wed 15-Jun-11 15:33:02

I told a parent I couldnt start before the contracted time as my insurance wasn't valid!! It worked and they stopped turning up early!

HSMM Wed 15-Jun-11 15:40:58

I told parents if they kept coming early, they might catch me before I was dressed ... no-one came early again for years grin

gardenpixies32 Wed 15-Jun-11 19:32:35

I had the same problem. Quite an awkward situation actually. Parent's hours are from 8am-6pm. She is often early (I would say 5:20 most days), anyway, she said that because she is often early could she sometimes drop off at 7:45! Before I could answer, she said or do you expect families to just sit in the car until 8am!

Another parent was persistently late (anything from 5-30 minutes) I mentioned that late fees were going to start going to effect after she started doing it too often. She said ok. She was billed 15 pounds for 3 late collections one month and insisted that because she was sometimes early, his late pick ups shouldnt count.

MUM2BLESS Wed 15-Jun-11 19:53:43

I had a situation when I was suppost to start at 07.30 and kids arrived about more than 15 mins early. I had to send the parents a note asking them not to arrive more than 10 mins early. It worked. I do not mind 5 mins or so early.

MUM2BLESS Wed 15-Jun-11 20:03:54

Me again. If you do not address it, it can become fustrating for you as the parents will continue to do it. Nip it in the bud, at the first instance.

MUM2BLESS Wed 15-Jun-11 20:08:14

Sorry did not answer your question. I do not really have it on display as such. Parents should know what time they have agreed to. If you do not say anything they may think you dont mind.

KatyMac Wed 15-Jun-11 22:35:02

I'm trying to find a shiny cheap noticeboard to put outside & put notices on am not turning into a nursery

thebody Thu 16-Jun-11 14:15:50

hi again gardenpixies.. yes understand this.. have parents who think because they pik up early then they can drop early.... knock this on the head.. i explain that i open at 8am and close at 6pm and unless an emergency i cant open earlier or close later as have own family commitments...

so cheeky some people..

Snooch Thu 16-Jun-11 15:01:33

I had a dad who used to do this - anything between 20 and 10 minutes early! Would bill them £10 for every early drop off but it didn't seem to matter. One morning I left him ringing the door bell for over 5 minutes...when I finally answered I said "sorry, but I was just in the loo...I often am at this time of the day" (which I was, and normally am!!!) He was very blush and I haven't had a problem since grin

MUM2BLESS Thu 16-Jun-11 19:27:10

the body you are right parents sometimes think that as they pick up early they can drop off early too.

Also I was face with a situation where the chidlren were picked up early and the parent thought they would not be charged the normal times, I had to explain that you are charged the contracted time.

Truckdriver Fri 17-Jun-11 22:45:13

Now feeling bad as arrived 5 mins early the other day blush.

Mental note to self - sit in car until 8am news starts.

I love my CM don't want to take the piss smile

HSMM Sat 18-Jun-11 09:06:31

On behalf of your CM Truckdriver - Thank you. She will appreciate your consideration.

sydenhamhiller Tue 21-Jun-11 14:07:10

Oh this has been an interesting thread!

I have been feeling a little peeved as I work 7.45-4.45 for both sets of children, and parents often arrive at 7.35/7.40, and pick up 4.50. I am flexible (honest!), and when a parent has said 'oh, I might be a bit late picking up as I have a late meeting' , I say 'fine, don't worry' and don't charge extra, a couple of times it's been until 5.30 or 6. I really don't mind. But this is almost every day, and I think as one of them is sometime picked up at 4.20, perhaps they feel they are 'owed' extra minutes somewhere else.

Can I say something do you think, or will I just sound cheese-paring?

My husband says I am being inflexible, and it is only 5 minutes or so, but I've been trying to explain that you wouldn't be able to do that at a nursery, so it is not really ok with me... And the contracted hours are 7.45-4.45 not 7.30-7.

[Mutter mutter.]

pollywollyhadadollycalledmolly Tue 21-Jun-11 19:31:29

to the op, do you have a dog? I read somewhere once that someone took their dog out for a walk and didnt return until 7.59 and eventually they got the hint!!! lol (not sure if that was here or NM)

Syden, i would say something. How can you not charge when pick up is meant to be 4.45 and they turn up at 6? thats terrible!! Yes it happens every now and again, but its not just five minutes here or there, thats a long time esp with no fee!!! x

LucieLucie Tue 21-Jun-11 20:51:56

Op it baffles me why parents turn up early at all. Surely when they accept the place for their child its on the understanding its for 0800-1730 Mon-Fri or whatever. I would suggest doing a laminated notice or similar for your front door saying some thing like 'Please do not knock or ring before 0800 - thankyou :-)'
I personally havent had problems with early drop offs but I have had lots of problems with parents turning up late, ie contracted to 1730, turn up at 1755!!! Not acceptable imo. One particular parent saw it as he didint drop off till 9am then that entitled him to extra at the end of the day...err no it does not! I use the example of being like a shop in that we are open btwn 8am and 5.30 - and that the service can only be used within these times. Shows a lack of respect and consideration imo.

HSMM Tue 21-Jun-11 20:58:43

One of my parents last night ..... "Oh! I'll be late tomorrow night."

I know she was prepared to pay and everything, but asking might have been nice. I was tempted to say we were going out at 6, but couldn't bring myself to do it. Gave the little mite his tea before he was collected tonight too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: