Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Should I charge for this whole day or not?

(33 Posts)
Saltire Tue 14-Jun-11 16:07:02

Mindee is going to a party next Tuesday, 10am till 11.30. She's normally with me for the whole day that day. Mum wants to take mindee and has arranged for the day off.
However, she wants to drop mindee with me at 8am as usual, pick her up at 9.55 to go to party ,then drop her off again just after 11.30. She said to me when she was telling me the arrangments "I don't expect you to bill me for the 1.5 hours she won't be here"
So would you charge?

MrsArmstrong Tue 14-Jun-11 16:09:05

yes

you are not a parking meter ffs
what does your contract say?

bigdonna Tue 14-Jun-11 16:11:56

defo yes cheeky bugger!!!!you are there to work so yessss

Strix Tue 14-Jun-11 16:27:21

yes, you should charge.

smile at the parking meter comment.

SarkyLady Tue 14-Jun-11 16:30:32

I would def pay my cm under these circs. Wouldn't occur to me not to tbh.

nannyl Tue 14-Jun-11 18:46:12

yes you charge

its not like you can fill the space for an hour or so!

PaulaMummyKnowsBest Tue 14-Jun-11 18:58:49

you are still available during that time so of course you would charge

Flisspaps Tue 14-Jun-11 18:59:36

Yes, I'd charge. You're contracted for the hours, she pays for the hours.

lukymum Tue 14-Jun-11 19:34:09

What a joke??!

I love parking meter comment. so true.

lukymum Tue 14-Jun-11 19:35:06

Sorry, yes she should definitely definitely pay you.

Saltire Tue 14-Jun-11 22:54:53

Sorry I didn't get back to this.

The mum seems to think that I'm not looking after child and she's giving me plenty notice so doesn't ahve to pay

SarkyLady Tue 14-Jun-11 23:01:16

What does your contract say?

HSMM Wed 15-Jun-11 07:30:30

Depends what is in your contract, but my parents would pay.

HavePatience Wed 15-Jun-11 07:38:02

Depends on contract, but I'm a teacher and when kids are out for dentist appointments or holidays or ill, parents never request that money back from the school's fees. I still get paid even if a student is absent. It would not occur to me to even think about not paying in this circumstance
Unless cm allowed for this in contract I guess... But even then... hmm

GreenTeapot Wed 15-Jun-11 07:42:20

Childminders round here would generally charge a half rate for something like this. As a parent I'd never say "I don't expect you to charge me", that's shocking!

2cats2many Wed 15-Jun-11 07:47:54

I'm not a childminder, but I would definitely expect to be charged if I was pulling my children out for an hour or two. It's not as if you can fill the time with another mindee.

Saltire Wed 15-Jun-11 08:47:18

My contract says that if I am availiable to work and parents keep their child out for a reason other than illness then I charge (needless to say there is a few days of illness) hmm. But it also says that for occasional days off, as long as at least 72 hours notice but preferably a week is given then I won't charge.

She's using this clause as a reason not to pay!

HSMM Wed 15-Jun-11 08:49:58

If she's given you 72 hours notice, then she is probably expecting not to be charged.

You might want to re-word future contracts, so you are paid when you are available (sickness/occasional days/whatever).

SarkyLady Wed 15-Jun-11 10:04:15

Agree with HSMM that you want to change your contract.

But I would say you should charge because this is not a "day off" it is 1.5 hours off. Totally different.

thebody Wed 15-Jun-11 10:05:02

think she has you here.. change your contract though hun because you are leaving yourself wide open here.. get paid when you are available.. end of..

still think shes a cheeky cow though!!!

Strix Wed 15-Jun-11 10:15:17

I don't think she has you. This is not an occassional day off. It is the middle of a day on which you still have to work. If she wants to go by the letter of the contract she will need to take the whole day off.

But for a couple of hours fees, it's probably not causing too much of a fuss.

I would change the contract to just say full fees when you are avaiable, no fees when you are not, including sickness, holiday, etc.

Numnums Wed 15-Jun-11 11:06:10

If mum decides not to send mindee to you for whatever reason, that is HER choice. Yes, she should definitely pay. What a blooming cheek! perhaps it's time to remind her by showing her the contract she signed.

i don't think you need to amend your contract as it clearly states if she doesn't send, she pays -- whether or not she has given you 72 hours notice or not.

Saltire Wed 22-Jun-11 13:13:43

Update - child went to party with me, as mum said she couldn't get off work. However, child was very sick at party, so when i rang mums work to ask her to come and get the child they said she was on a day off as she was taking her child to a partyhmm.

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 22-Jun-11 13:23:40

this sounds like the mum you used to have - its not her is it?

and yes change your contract

Saltire Wed 22-Jun-11 14:22:40

No it's not her. However, she is military! must be a military mums thing, to piss the childmidner off wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now