Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Rate for nanny bring own child...

(6 Posts)
bbcessex Mon 13-Jun-11 21:44:24

Hi everyone,
I was just wondering; I know that nothing is set in stone, but is it usual to pay the same (non-child) rate for a live out nanny bring her own child, or is it usual to pay a bit less?

Tarenath Tue 14-Jun-11 07:14:58

I think it all depends on the situation. Some nannies return to work for the same family after maternity leave and don't take a pay cut, some find a new family and negotiate a pay rate 10-20% below the market rate. Some don't take a pay cut regardless. I think it all comes down to what the nanny and family are willing to accept.

Personally, I negotiated about 10% below market rate for my level of experience but with annual payrise etc I'm probably earning about on par now.

nannyl Tue 14-Jun-11 08:30:52

agree it depends on the nanny / situation.

I know nannies who have gone back (with baby) but that year not had a payrise.
Others take a bit less and others carry on as normal.

when looking for the next job they usually accept that while they may have previosuly charged at the very top of the normal rate, to drop their rate a little.

Strix Tue 14-Jun-11 09:33:07

I think the pay cut is more like 20-30%, although some families are willing to accept less of a decrease. I think it is unusual to hire a nanny who already has a child and not expect a decrease in pay. If you are going to do that, you would be better off with a proper nanny share where another family is paying half the bill.

bbcessex Tue 14-Jun-11 12:50:24

Thanks for your comments, that's good to know. We are looking for before and after school hours, and it seems that nannies with own child are more keen to apply.

nbee84 Tue 14-Jun-11 18:42:46

Actually, for a before and after school position I would expect to be paying a premium rate. A split day with very few hours is not attractive to many people. These jobs very often go to nannies with their own children as they are more willing to work fewer hours (get to have 1:1 with their own child during the day)

So, for example - if the usual daily nanny rate in your area was £9 gross per hour, I would expect to pay a nanny woth their own child that rate and a nanny without at least £10 gross. So, yes, a bit of a discount but remember that a job like this is likely to be paying a higher rate per hour than a job that has more hours/no split hours.

Did I waffle a bit there? grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now