Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

I feel so lucky to have found our child minder!

(10 Posts)
celestinelass Sat 11-Jun-11 11:00:53

Kelly our childminder is an absolute star! She's been looking after our 4 m DS for 3 months now and he absolutely adores her.
She has 3 kids of her own 1.5, 3 and 5!! But still does the most amazing job caring for DS.
This week DS had a vomiting bug, I had to go to work no matter what and I was pretty nervous about leaving DS alone with inexperienced DP. (He ran down the landing with vomiting baby!! (First rule: Stay still! Duvets/Curtains/Clothes can be washed.....whole carpets are harder!))
Kelly volunteered to have him even though he was poorly and did an amazing job caring for him through the day.
Last night, both me and DP went down with the same bug (but nastier), up and down all night, high temps etc Nightmare this morning dealing with a lively, playful 7m old. One txt to Kelly and she came straight over and rescued him from his puking parents. Bless Her xxx

She must be the hardest working person I know, her home is always spotless (puts me to shame), her kids are happy and loved, she does an amazing job with DS, always does detailed notes in his feedback book and is always helpful and supportive.

Can't believe how lucky we've been to find such a star. Us parents really appreciate you hard working childminders. xxx

minderjinx Sat 11-Jun-11 14:33:44

How lovely to hear a good luck story! It is so much easier to go the extra mile when it is appreciated, so I'm sure your lovely CM feels fortunate too.

apotomak Sat 11-Jun-11 14:56:36

OMG ... how thoughtless of you! The woman is lovely, works hard, has three children to look after and you let her look after your sick LO. What will you do when she and her children come down with it now? Will you offer to look after her DCs and any other children she may care for? D&V is not a joke ... I wish some people were more considerate.

AmazingBouncingFerret Sat 11-Jun-11 15:01:48

Does she look after any other children? I wouldnt be very happy if my CM took a child in with D&V and the child passed it on!

Sorry dont want to piss on your BBQ or anything, she sounds lovely just not very proffessional.

nervatious Sat 11-Jun-11 15:07:42

Yes I was thinking, you do realise she might get ill and then her DC's then she will have to close, meaning everyone who has kids she looks after will have to take time off work, and she will lose money too....

However If she was happy to do it then of course it's not your fault, but it may come back to haunt you if she is too ill to work.

D and V is dangerous because it can kill children if they get too dehydrated, that's why government recommend 48hr exclusion for early years settings, of which your childminder's home is one.

She does sound very kind though, happy you have found a good one, it really makes a difference!

BradfordMum Sat 11-Jun-11 15:39:49

Why text her this morning on her day off?!?!
If you were a stay at home mum who would you have texted?!
I sincerely hope you reward her for going way over and above the call of duty.
If you're fit to text and log on Here, surely you and your DH could have cobbled together enough sense to look after your own child.

I'm amazed at your gall.

minderjinx Sat 11-Jun-11 15:52:30

I do have to agree to all these good points made about the risk of cross-infection. I do hope her kindness does not turn out to have been rash.

celestinelass Sat 11-Jun-11 17:00:30

Lol at the conclusion jumping. Firstly, she has no other mindees than my son. It actually works the other way round totally. So far he has caught chicken pox off her eldest who is at school, we watched as the 5 yr old had it first, then the 1.5 yr old, then her 3 year old and lastly my ds over a 3 week period. She takes my son to lots of playgroups with her own children, where again my ds picks up lots of sniffles. The DV has been going round the whole village, everyone's getting it, fortunately only for 12-24hrs.
Also, we had a pre-agreement that if ever we got really stuck, she would help, even at weekends.
Extra pay is of course given for such events.
I posted to praise such great support, I know we're very lucky and we appreciate her 100 percent smile

anewyear Sat 11-Jun-11 19:00:01

Im happy for you she is so accommodating, at the moment,
However, what will happen if she gets more mindees? Im not sure she will be so then?

HSMM Sat 11-Jun-11 20:11:46

It is lovely that she has been able to help you out. I can see you realise that she could not do this if she had other mindees.

Make sure you take as good care of her and her family as she has of yours and you will both have a long and happy relationship.

I am glad that you appreciate what she has done for you and not taken her for granted as some people would.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: