Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

What do people do to work around the school day?

(8 Posts)
Stewierocks Fri 10-Jun-11 17:00:52

My DD will start school in a year or two but looking at the school day, I just don't know how we will manage this and working. The school she will be going to says she has to be dropped off at 8.45 but we've usually left for work by then. Is it normal to have childminders to do the drop off and collection? Any advice gratefully received! It seems easier when they are just with the childminder / nursery all day (my DD currently does 3 days with a CM, one day with me and one with grandparents).

5318008 Fri 10-Jun-11 17:05:52

yep lots of CMs receive the children, breakfast them if necc, drop at school, collect, take to theirs, snack if time permits, or tea. Twoin my village don't 'do' early years minding, they do after schoolies only

think about what contract you may want - if you require school holiday care then be sure to include this request in chats with CMs

superio Fri 10-Jun-11 17:58:29

Negotiate with work to let you do drop offs, and finish later instead. Then get an afterschool nanny. It's difficult to find and keep them, but it's usually possible.

mycatoscar Fri 10-Jun-11 18:12:12

i use a childminder who has my dd before and after school 7.30-9 and 3-5.30 - lots of them do this and i preferred this option to an after school club as the childminder is like an aunty/grandma figure and dd gets to snuggle up with the other children and watch tv after school in a homey environment.

Batteryhuman Fri 10-Jun-11 18:14:06

I work 8.30 til 2.30 and then if necessary bring work home. Used to use a childminder in the morning but now a neighbour takes and I pick up hers a few afternoons a week.

tiggersreturn Mon 13-Jun-11 11:54:17

I got an after school nanny who does full time in school holidays and another lady who drops ds off in the morning. She's been a bit unreliable lately but also acts as back-up if ds is ill or his nanny is ill so a great arrangement if you can make it work.

BooyHoo Mon 13-Jun-11 11:58:23

my ds went to the childminder at 8.20 and was left off at school for 9 then collected after school. it was great in that it allowed me to be on time for work but i personally didn't like dropping him off knowing that in 20 minutes he would be leaving again for school. i can imagine it was a bit of an unsettled start to the day for him. however i am about to register as a CM and i will offer this service.

looneytune Mon 13-Jun-11 14:02:23

I'm a CM and have children arrive anytime between 7am and 8am. I give breakfast at around 7.30am for those who need it then drop off the 'big kids' at school. I collect several children from school and have them here until their contracted time, latest being around 6pm. I provide an evening meal to those who want it.

Very normal to offer this service in my area. Have you spoken with your current CM about this or is it not something she offers?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: