Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

found out parent has been overclaiming tax credits

(12 Posts)
popcorn1 Thu 09-Jun-11 21:17:36

Im a childminder and found out one of my parents has been claiming a LOT more for childcare with Tax Credits than I charged for quite a long time.She has received a letter from TC asking to provide the contract and receipts.She has asked me to change the contract and for me to give her receipts saying she has paid cash on top of the standing order she pays me. Of course I have refused both. 2 days on I'm feeling furious with her.Last year she refused to let me raise my charges yet claimed more. At the time(I didnt know she was claiming extra) I decided just to keep it at the original rate (it was low and I set it low because 2 years previous I didnt have much work so thought it would be better nothing!)
I feel upset that someone can pay me a pretty low rate whilst I put everything into caring for their children whilst she has actually been making a profit on it!
I cant see this working relationship continuing - its not just about money. I dont know whether to give her notice now? Is this just a funding issue (nothing to do with me) or is it someone who I thought I had a trusting/professional working relationship with who has taken the out of me and who I shouldnt trust?
Im worried because of the amount of money she has overclaimed she is going to lie and say she has paid cash on top - what do I say about that??
HELP...ANYONE???

HSMM Thu 09-Jun-11 21:40:40

Just make sure your records are correct for tax purposes. She could possibly be charged with fraud. You need to decide for yourself if you can carry on your working relationship.

mranchovy Thu 09-Jun-11 21:44:29

You have every right to feel as you do, and in your position I would be giving notice. As you say, it's not about the money, it's a question of mutual trust and she has abused that trust.

If she puts pressure on you to back her up, point out that this would mean that you would have to say that you received income that you did not pay tax on, and then it is you that would be in trouble! But you don't owe her an explanation, you don't owe her anything.

popcorn1 Thu 09-Jun-11 22:06:17

You're right! Its her problem

Bohica Thu 09-Jun-11 22:10:55

Do not get involved & double check your own records. I would also give her notice for being dishonest.

Bohica Thu 09-Jun-11 22:12:41

Opps pushed to quickly & without thinking it through.

You need to think about your relationship with her child & how terminating the contract will affect the child.

popcorn1 Thu 09-Jun-11 22:23:09

Yes I would hate to lose the children, I have had them for years..but they're not mine I need to keep remembering that! Also you never know how things will progress now with TC - how can I work with them if it all turns sour? Im going to have to go to bed and sleep on it - i'm so tired with it all!
Thanks for replying and your advice

mranchovy Thu 09-Jun-11 22:36:10

Absolutely popcorn1 - you are obviously a caring and professional person, but do not for one moment allow anyone to try and make you feel guilty for doing what you have to do.

If the mother sees what an impossible position she has put you in, apologies unreservedly and agrees to come clean and take the consequences then it may be a different matter.

5318008 Thu 09-Jun-11 22:48:27

<waves to MrA>

Popcorn you are v wise to not make hasty decisions; I wouldn't blame you at ALL if you came to the conclusion that your professional relationship has broken down and give notice

good luck

bigdonna Thu 09-Jun-11 23:00:29

hi popcorn dont worry tc rang me last yr about two families i looked after,i told them the truth what they paid me nothing came of it.i also had one lady ask me if she could put she paid me more ,i said no if they rang me i would tell them the truth.i was also asked to write in a letter for the courts that i was paid more so the ladies husband would give her more money obviously i said no too,bloody cheek

mranchovy Thu 09-Jun-11 23:31:05

<waves back> - wow, last time I saw you was on a calculator c.1976!

popcorn1 Fri 10-Jun-11 18:59:04

AAh thanks for all of your comments and advice....a problem shared is definitely a problem halved! Ive put the whole thing in perspective -its not my problem. I will carry on and just see how things go. I should think the contract will end but will just see how it pans out. Not what you need to have to think about at the end of a long day though! Still thats life.....and its FRIDAY YIPEEE!!xxx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: