Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

10 months old baby with diahrrea&vomit- virus or childminder food?

(14 Posts)
sassyminder Wed 08-Jun-11 10:38:34

My neighbours are worried about their daughter she vomited on the weekend and got some diarrhea too, she doesnt want to eat at all and is very weak. Could it be a tummy bug, or meningites or the childminder food?

KatyMac Wed 08-Jun-11 10:49:18

If they are concerned it meningitis they need to go to A&E

It's most likely to be a viirus but if it's food poisoning again I think A&E

Why if it's food poisoning would it be the childminders fault rather than the parents food?

sassyminder Wed 08-Jun-11 10:54:32

Well if it is food poisoning someone will have to take the blaming, would they blame themselves or somebody else??

KatyMac Wed 08-Jun-11 10:56:21

food poisoning if normally accidental rather than malicious; unless multiple cases it is unlikely to be possible to prove source

ChristinedePizan Wed 08-Jun-11 10:56:33

There is gastro-enteritis going round - it's much more likely to be that than food poisoning tbh

KatyMac Wed 08-Jun-11 10:56:59

How many other people are ill?

Have samples gone to Environmental health?

sassyminder Wed 08-Jun-11 11:08:00

the mother had sympthoms mildly

KatyMac Wed 08-Jun-11 11:21:03

Then it's likely to be a bug or food poisoning from her house; unless the mum eats the childminders food

looneytune Wed 08-Jun-11 13:49:54

I would say much more likely to be a bug and if the mum has symptoms too, I'm with Katymac, how could it be the food unless the mum eats the childminder's food.

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 08-Jun-11 13:56:41

agree sounds like a bug, lots going round, and yes if the mum has it, then unlikely to be the cm fault

BradfordMum Wed 08-Jun-11 13:58:57

Sassyminder, surely you know it could be a whole myriad of reasons and mentioning Meningitis is ridiculous.
As a childminder you MUST know the basics and asking this makes me wonder if you know the real ins and outs of Childminding.

CharlieCoCo Wed 08-Jun-11 20:00:11

is she a childminder? you might know she is from other threads but she hasnt implied she is in this one.
blaming the childminder or mentioning meningitis seems a bit random though i agree.

thebody Wed 08-Jun-11 22:36:34

sorry but think this thread is so ridiculous as not to be real... meningitis!!! mum and baby ill but its the cms fault.. get a grip love...

just to clarify.. if you think a child might have meningits then get off the bloody computer and take to A &E

food poisining is usually short lived and violent. so all affected are sick/diarrhoea around 4 to 6 hours after injesting bad food.... if anyone else sick in the house who HASNT shared same food then its a bug(struggling to not say doh)

finally unless the cm is typhoid Mary then its probably not from her house.. most cms i know including me drown in anti bac spray on a regular basis..

stomp Thu 09-Jun-11 10:05:45

I’m assuming you know that Registered Childminders are (mostly) inspected by Environmental Health and have a Food Safety certificate/training. Our premises are cleaner and our food hygiene is probably better than any normal household! Children pick up bugs very easily (one reason why children who are unwell should not be taken into childcare because D&V, colds/flu etc it spread very quickly amongst children!) if mum was unwell too then its going to be a virus or something the mum has cooked, highly unlikely to have come from the childminder unless of course someone bought a sick child into the setting….i antibac everything if I have any inkling that something nasty is going around. Babies and children get illness and sickness because they have immature immune systems- mum should expect years of her child picking up bugs- its part of life (do not want to say ‘get a grip’ but Really!)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: