Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nursery AND nanny - could it work or am I being stupid?

(9 Posts)
Mackrelmint Wed 08-Jun-11 10:23:00

For a variety of reasons we decided on nursery for when I go back to work in Aug for DD who will be 1 then.

However we're doing settling in this week and I really don't like the key person and hate the feeling of leaving her in a room full of babies all day.

I know it's normal to find it hard but I also think this is not a nursery I am going to feel happy with. Luckily one I'd seen early on who didn't have a place then nnow does so we're going to check it out again tomorrow - really hoping I like it more.

But I also wondered whether I could just get a morning place at nursery (whichever one we go with) then get a nanny to pick up and do 4hrs in the afternoon. (I should be home by 5 most days so wld be paying nursery for 4.5hrs in pm but only using 3 as hoping to pick up at 4.30)

It would be a bit more expensive but not prohibitively so and DD would get more fresh air, change of scene and one on one time, and I wouldn't have to do an evening pick up and take her home in rush hour.

But is it doable? Has anyone done this? Is it impossible to get a nanny for those kinds of hours? Is it too complicated?

Would be v grateful for any thoughts/experiences.

Mackrelmint Wed 08-Jun-11 10:25:29

Oops! Sorry for double post!

WishIWasRimaHorton Wed 08-Jun-11 10:27:56

i think you need to see if you like the other nursery.

i'm not sure you would find a nanny who only wants to work 4 hours a day. that's only 20 hours a week if you are full-time. and it's not likely that she will find another job in the mornings which will allow her to be free in time to do a 1pm pick-up from nursery.

can you not afford a nanny full-time if you don't like the idea of nursery?

it's a personal decision though. if you don't like the idea of her being surrounded by other babies all day, you may be better not trying to 'compromise' and just going for a day nanny.

harrietthespook Wed 08-Jun-11 10:46:46

If you have space you could consider a nursery and an au pair for wrap around care.

A full time nanny, if you need one for about ten hours a day with commuting, could be nearly three times more expensive than a nursery. I would plan on around £2,800 gross per month if you are anywhere near London. A live in nanny I would still budget around £2,200 gross per month.

If you can swing it, go for it, but I would look into other nurseries sharpish. We managed to find an afternoon nanny who did the hours you are talking about when I went back to work after DD2 and I used a nursery for the other time while DD1 was in school. But we were very lucky. It's really hard.

You might also find a childminder you like if you look now.

Mackrelmint Wed 08-Jun-11 12:15:18

Thanks so much for replies; my brain is in a bit of a spin, good to have some input!

Can't afford a full-time nanny unfortunately (yes, we're in London).

I think you're right Wish about having to see the other nursery. It's a bit smaller and has more access to outside space, so maybe will feel nicer. Nursery no1 felt a bit better this morning - there were only 6 kids there instead of 12 like there were yesterday - it just felt chaotic and 2 or 3 were just sat there wailing and I think that freaked me out a bit. Seemed a bit calmer and more homely this morning. The key person is still an issue for me though.

I ruled out childminders initially because we'll be moving around Nov/Dec so I needed somewhere that worked with our current location and new location and both these nurseries fit - for some reason I didn't think to look at childminders along my commute, I just thought it wouldn't work to get one either in new or old location as it wouldn't work whilst we were in the other one. Perhaps I should revisit.

Moving also causes problem with Au Pair - we could fit one in new place, but not current one. So perhaps that's the back up if I still feel uncomfortable with nursery by the time we move, to look for an au pair who could pick up and care for until I come home.

cjbessex Wed 08-Jun-11 12:54:35

You could definitely try for a part time nanny.. although less people are looking for part time hours, there are some out there. You may find your afternoons suit a nanny who has her own young child (nanny +1); the nanny would bring her own child along whilst she cares for your DD, but she would have her mornings free to do her own thing.

It's worth checking out sites like childcare.co.uk, you may well find someone - or put your own add up and check out the response. Good luck.

harrietthespook Wed 08-Jun-11 13:20:17

Have you explored sharing? Depending on your location you could do well. Try Simply Childcare.

Mackrelmint Wed 08-Jun-11 14:25:34

Thanks - that's something I haven't heard of cjb - defo worth seeing what is out there I guess as I have nothing to lose.

Had thought of sharing but difficult with moving house

am feeling a bit more positive now - thanks all. Just need to make a plan of action and get exploring options now.

WishIWasRimaHorton Wed 08-Jun-11 21:11:48

if you aren't 100% sold on the nursery, don't do it. if you have any doubts about the keyworker, you will never be happy. it's a lot of time for your DD to spend in a place where you aren't sure you are happy for her to be. it's never ever worth it. it's hard enough going back to work when you are sure you have the right childcare place. it's impossible to do it if you are unsure.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: