Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childminding V Live out nannying

(21 Posts)
AMYJ1234 Tue 07-Jun-11 19:48:25

Ive been a childminder for 12 years now, I really enjoyed the job of caring for children. However, my home is not my own,the paper work and training is on top of an 11hr day.. I was thinking now that my daughter is older and once my current commitments to families have been fulfilled I was thinking about nannying?
It seems that I would earn the same, I would work about the same hours and not have so many children to look after ..there must be a negative?

ohnoshedittant Tue 07-Jun-11 20:01:14

I'm a nanny and I love it, but things that may be a negative after being self-employed;

may be totally or partly restricted as to when you can take your holiday.

are beholden to what the parents want. As a childminder you can decide where to go, what to do, what to feed them etc. As a nanny you may have to do what the parents want done(though you may be lucky and get very easy-going parents as I have).

May mean an earlier start because need to actually get to job for 8am (or earlier) , rather than working from home.

Less flexibility in terms of being there for your daughter if she's ill/needs you etc

I'd still say go for it though....it's great!

Baunir Tue 07-Jun-11 20:01:46

You're not your own boss - there'll be someone else who has ideas about what they want done, when and how.

Along the same lines, it would be harder for you to run your own errands and getting little things done for yourself (going to the post office, being home to let in a repairman, popping to the shop for some milk and bread etc).

thebody Tue 07-Jun-11 20:18:12

agree with the above but maybe AMY you are at the point where you dont mind so much the day being mapped out for you so to speak..

must agree that cming, though(generally)a wonderful way to earn a living , does intrude on your own home and family in a way that very few businesses do.

i dream sometimes of a home without Ofsteds and eyfs posters stuck on my walls , travel cots, fire guards, stair gate, toys etc... AND NO BLOODY PAPERWORK

go for it anyway, if doesnt work out then you can always think again.. good luck..

AMYJ1234 Tue 07-Jun-11 20:19:14

I suppose I could be 'putting all my eggs in one basket'. There are some people I childmind for who I would love/hate to work for! There would at least be a division of work / my life. Is there much work for a live out nanny working 7-30 - 6pm or do you find a lot of work for a nanny is before or after these hours and requires live in?
I dont know anything about the role of a nanny! Thanks

AMYJ1234 Tue 07-Jun-11 20:29:48

gosh you are so right 'thebody'! Apart from holidays I dont have any choice really in my working life - I know I'm self employed but I really am not - I'm totally governed with what I do via OFSTED, local authority, parents and children! Being self employed as a childminder just means I've got the extra job of getting my wages in from lots of families, trying to organise holidays with lots of families etc etc - i'm feeling too old to keep on doing this month in month out! Thinking at least with 1 family it would be simpler!
No stair gate, nothing on my walls,NO TOYS!!!!!A glass table top (if I fancied it!!)......OHH god I'd better not get carried away!x

thebody Tue 07-Jun-11 20:40:08

yes yes yes sooooo agree AMY defo this job has a cut off date and you seem to have reached it... wish you so much luck and let us know how it goes..xx

nbee84 Tue 07-Jun-11 20:46:38

I've done exactly what you are thinking of doing. I was a cm for over 10 years. I started when it was under social services and left just as Ofsted were introducing more and more paperwork for cm's. My own children were old enough not to need me at home after school (14 and 17) and my dh, whilst supportive of me being a cmer, is not into children like I am and he used to make sure he came home after the children had gone. Not fair on him as it is his home too.

Pay wise I could probably earn more as a childminder if I had a full quota of children, but due to space in the car and preferring to have a smaller number of children I do earn more as a nanny. I also get sick pay and holiday pay. I no longer have to faff around keeping receipts and filling in tax returns.

My hours are longer when you take into account the commute time, but my house is now my own again - no more posters, stairgates, travel cots, buggies, car seats, small toys etc. If you take into account clearing up after the children have gone and doing paperwork, then I probably work less hours.

There are jobs out there with the hours you are thinking of. I've recently worked 7.30-6 and currently do 7.30-5.30 - I choose to work 3 days a week and when I was looking there were 3,4 and 5 day jobs with those sorts of hours. I live in a commuter area and there are also quite a few jobs that are 7-7 which is to long for me.

I always look for employers who have a similar childcare ethos to me and who are happy for me to manage the day as I would like to, though I'm always mindful that I am now an employee and would follow the parents wishes more than I maybe would have done as a cmer, this is easier though as you only have one set of children and their parents to consider.

AMYJ1234 Tue 07-Jun-11 21:14:31

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. It looks like there is a way out of this madness! Where do you look for work? I have looked at childcare.co.uk but its not really a place I have got any work from as a childminder? Thanks so much x

EldonAve Tue 07-Jun-11 21:21:14

nannyjob.co.uk
or gumtree are worth a look

nbee84 Tue 07-Jun-11 21:27:54

I got my current job through childcare.co.uk. It's worth you checking the ads of parents looking for childcare rather than waiting for a parent to find and contact you. Select 'newest' or 'last log in' when you do a search. If you come across an ad that you like the look of add it to your favourites - they will get an email notifying them of this and they will go and have a look at your profile to see if they are interested in you - so make sure your profile is up to date and shows that you are looking for a nanny position.

I've also had jobs through agencies. I always check nannyjob.co.uk - which is where most of the agencies advertise though you do get some private ads. I also check gumtree from time to time but have never really found what I am looking for on there.

AMYJ1234 Tue 07-Jun-11 22:03:07

Thanks loads - I'll have a look. Thanks nbee-you've been really helpful.

StillSquiffy Wed 08-Jun-11 01:16:34

make sure there is a market for your hours in your area. Round here (Kent) everyone with a nanny commutes to work which means that it would be unlikely that people would be able to get back for 6.30. Not impossible to find a job, but more difficult.

Ring up a couple of local agencies and ask their advice before you make a decision

Berryred Wed 08-Jun-11 12:30:45

2 childminders close to me and also the sure start Play leader have gone into nannying! I could dream lol...... what about your own children's holidays though if school age? can you take them with you?

incontinentia Wed 08-Jun-11 12:36:07

WHy bother having kids if nanny is going to be the one PAID to bring them up?
Either have a career OR a family. the two don't mix to the detriment of the children. Lifestyle is a CHOICE not a compulsion so take fewer vacations and get to know your own kids.

Tan007 Wed 08-Jun-11 13:02:11

Incontinentia, most mums have to work just to put a roof over their kids head and food in their mouths, 'work' is NOT about taking holidays and a big car. And actually who are you to say what is best for every child, we can only say what is best for our own children. There are pros and cons to both working and not working. Woman should have a right to choose what is best.

AMYJ1234 Wed 08-Jun-11 14:27:15

My daughter is 14 so holidays aren't such an issue as most of the time she's off out with her friends - think she would also love the house to be just her home now and not have to keep sharing it! I had a look on childcare.co.uk - there doesn't seem much near me so I'm prob looking at a good 40 minutes drive out of the area, so yes if I'm looking at a 7pm finish then a drive home it wouldnt work. Think its my dream job if it works out so will have to persevere!
Thanks xxx

StillSquiffy Wed 08-Jun-11 14:41:17

Incontinentia, your name says it all. Now fuck off back to the boards that care about your judgy pants attitude.

And do enjoy being your husbands' chattel, while you are at it.

MovingAndScared Wed 08-Jun-11 14:46:58

Incontinentia - how random, and rude and judgy =-did you read the OP?
are you going to post the same on every post on this section and the nurseries board for daring to use childcare cos you might as well

nannynick Wed 08-Jun-11 14:59:37

Nannying is similar to childminding when it comes to location... in some areas there is little call for childcare, whilst in other parts there is a lot of demand. Income varies as well, though nannying does seem a little fixed in terms of wages - cities offering the higher salary usually.

I've had a nanny job which was 7.30-5.30 so that sort of hours does exist but it will vary... currently I do 7am-7pm two days a week plus have the drive either side of that. Keep in mind your commute distance... I'd say try to look for work within a 10 mile radius if possible.

thebody Wed 08-Jun-11 22:40:35

sahm mums v working mums.. really incontinent.. lol.. yawn yawn yawn.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now