Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How much should I pay a live-in Housekeeper/Nanny who works three days a week?

(11 Posts)
molihua Tue 07-Jun-11 16:26:47

We have just employed a very nice woman who lives in and helps out with housework and childcare and works three days full time and occasional babysitting. Currently I am paying 150 a week and just wanted to check whether this is ok or a bit stingy?
Thanks

Katy1368 Tue 07-Jun-11 17:30:19

What are her work hours on the days she works? I had a live in who worked 13 shifts in 4 weeks (so just over 3 days a week) but the days she worked were sometimes long - 7 to 9.30 (though DD would be in bed by 7 so 2 and a half hours of that were just with a baby alarm) So I paid her more, around £250 pw and of course we paid for all her food etc-.That was in Loondon by the way.

catepilarr Tue 07-Jun-11 20:39:50

i am interested what others have to say as i will have a live in nanny job from september onwards.
( my situation will be: 7.30am - 6pm, three days a week in london, experience slightly complicated - two years as an ap, five summers ( cca twelve weeks each) as a mh and a couple of months as a nanny - spread over the past 11 years).

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 07-Jun-11 23:06:42

to me sounds very stingy

yes she may live in,but £50 a day shock

fraktious Tue 07-Jun-11 23:47:35

Depends on hours, experience, qualifications and location to be honest. Might be okay...

Are you talking net or gross?

mranchovy Wed 08-Jun-11 00:39:45

It's not £50 a day, it's £150 plus a week's board and lodging for 3 days work. Board and lodging is probably worth £75-£150 a week net so that makes it the equivalent of £225-£300 a week net, or £75-100 a day. Probably about right unless the live-in conditions aren't great.

Frak there is less than £3 tax and NI on £150 a week so it don't make a lot of difference grin

fraktious Wed 08-Jun-11 02:56:55

It does if they have/take another job on the 2 other days grin Standard question although for that amount it is minimal, I agree. But with a BR tax code it must be closer to £200 which is perfectly reasonable.

molihua Thu 09-Jun-11 14:06:51

Hours are about 7:30 to 7 but a fair bit of down time during day and nice live - in conditions.

mranchovy Thu 09-Jun-11 20:30:29

>It does if they have/take another job on the 2 other days

... then the whole of the earnings on the other job will be taxed at the basic rate, it won't make any difference to the current employer.

fraktious Fri 10-Jun-11 01:00:43

Unless other employer was a pre-existing job... I know it's unlikely but there is a big difference between £150 and £200. One is borderline, the other definitely not. However as OP hasn't responded to that question I'm assuming it's not the case. 'Twas only a question to prevent the OP turning round and saying 'oh well she gets £150 but actually it's £200 gross'.

As you know with multiple employments the 'main' employer cam change and the lower earning job may have been their only job fir quite some time, thereby taking the tax free allowance. You don't have to work many hours to fill that up. 1 night shift in a care home is about £85, a 2 day nanny job could easily take up someone's personal allowance, 2 minimum wage shifts at Tesco would probably do it (and there are plenty of people I know who in this climate have hung onto their student weekend job like grim death for an extra £100 a week) so it's entirely possible this person has another source of income on the 4 days they don't work for the OP and that may be eating up their personal allowance.

mranchovy Fri 10-Jun-11 02:19:30

Yes sorry, my mistake blush I was confusing this with another thread where the nanny is currently full time and reducing to part time, so obviously there is not (yet) another job in that case, unlike here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now