Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Emergency childcare, what are my options?

(17 Posts)
splashymcsplash Mon 06-Jun-11 14:24:32

My exp was meant to look after my dd for 3 weeks but has pulled out at the last minute, leaving me completely in the lurch. It's too late to ask anyone else I know now. What can I do? Was thinking of a nursery but she is so little, I think that will be rather traumatic. Money is also an issue as I'm guessing he is going to refuse to help financially as well.

ChitChattingagain Mon 06-Jun-11 15:06:10

What sort of hours? What age? If not under 1, then a Child Minder might have a space for them for that period of time. It would be harder for an under 1 year old as they have very limited spaces for under 1s, and that age does limit the activities of older children. That would be your cheapest option, I guess. Most CMs seem to work an 8 - 6 day, but some work more/less.

Your other option is a temp nanny. That would probably cost more, but would enable you to leave your DD at home and so she may be more settled.

I doubt a nursery would take her for just 3 weeks. Often children have settling in periods lasting 1 or 2 weeks, so it would be very disruptive for both your DD and the other children to have a child thrust upon them.

splashymcsplash Mon 06-Jun-11 15:30:46

Thank you. She is 9 months old. I'm just looking for office hours. Sick with worry right now.

ChitChattingagain Mon 06-Jun-11 15:40:16

If you say what area you are in, some CMs on this board might let you know whether they have a vacancy at the moment that they would be happy to fill for a short period of time. Otherwise you could have a look at the posts on the Childminder Vacancies thread or post on the Mums looking for childcare thread on this board. Or you could try posting an ad on Netmums Local, or even just look at the current CM ads that are on there.

Strix Mon 06-Jun-11 16:13:50

Or call your local whatever its called authority and ask for a list of childminders with under 1 vacancies in your area.

You xp is obviously a twit. You have my sympathies.

pickcherries Mon 06-Jun-11 16:25:46

splashy where do you live maybe you could get a nanny to do a nannyshare with another child for that short period of time will help financially... if you are near hampstead direction, i might be able to help you!

minderjinx Mon 06-Jun-11 16:44:17

You could try childcare.co.uk or emergencychildcare.co.uk

splashymcsplash Mon 06-Jun-11 17:09:10

thank you, yes he is a twit!

I'm in Hammersmith pinkcherries, thank you for the offer but a bit too far to travel.

pickcherries Mon 06-Jun-11 17:13:25

sad what a shame! Good luck finding someone!

Rudgey Mon 06-Jun-11 18:25:09

Maybe if you put down where you work then you might find someone in your area or near work. I am in Datchet near the M4.

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 06-Jun-11 18:32:03

think a temp nanny would be your best bet

have a look on nannyjob and netmums, often have nannies on there looking for work

or call an agency, but will prob cost you £25 a day on top of wages

Strix Mon 06-Jun-11 19:10:53

You should have lots of options in West London. Loads of childminders. Surely there is one who has a vacancy. Whilst a temp nanny is the most convenient, I note you say cost is an issue. A temp nanny will be very significantly more expensive than a childminder. Where do you work? Childcare might be cheaper closer to work than it is in West London.

nannynick Mon 06-Jun-11 20:08:30

Childminder list from LB Fulham & Hammersmith
Not all childminders will be listed... though will give you some to contact tonight. Call F&H Family Information Service tomorrow on 0845 313 3933 for a larger list - they may also know who has a vacancy for an under1.
E-mail fis@lbhf.gov.uk

Agree with Strix that a childminder will be cheaper than a nanny. I would guess around £6-£7 per hour in that area.

splashymcsplash Mon 06-Jun-11 20:35:23

Thank you for all the suggestions, will look into them.

Any nice nannies willing to travel to Hammersmith or a family willing to share their nanny for a couple of weeks please feel free to contact me smile

kylesmybaby Mon 06-Jun-11 20:53:53

splash - i have a friend Diane, who lives in chiswick and has been a registered childminder for a number of years. her children are older now - the youngest being 13 so i am sure she would travel to you. shes is fantastic and visits baby/childminder groups most mornings. things are very slow in childminding atm and she has just registered with local nanny agencies to become a nanny. her rates are very reasonal (far too much in my opinion) and shes flexible. if you would like her details please let me know and i will pass them on to you. thanks

Samedi Mon 06-Jun-11 23:20:06

I was ill with a bug a couple of weeks back, I have 9 month old and 3 year old charges. Was a proper emergency as I had to call boss to take over as I couldn't care for the baby (older one at school) so he called a local nursery and got her in for the day then got a temp nanny for the following day through Eden. I assume the nanny was very expensive though as they would have had to have paid agency fees. But it is possible! I also did temp work in the past for Eden, as an emergency nanny.

splashymcsplash Wed 08-Jun-11 21:32:55

thank you for all the replies. I have found a solution with help of the leads people have mentioned. Just wanted to give a quick update smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: