Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Presents for Nannies? what's the norm...

(21 Posts)
LittleOneMum Wed 01-Jun-11 16:03:41

Help me out please! I always feel like I get this wrong.

What is appropriate for a nanny's birthday or Christmas present? I am damned if I do and damned if I don't at the moment. I usually buy a nice, thoughtful, semi-expensive present but a friend recently told me it was too generous and then another friend told me yesterday that she bought her nanny and iPad for Christmas...

Central London. F/T live out nanny, much beloved.

nannynick Wed 01-Jun-11 16:45:47

I can't imagine many nannies get an iPad for Christmas. Bottle of wine and a thoughtful present sounds more usual.

My birthday often gets forgotten... it's near Christmas so it often gets overlooked. If at work, I usually make myself a cake.

LittleOneMum Wed 01-Jun-11 17:05:44

nannynick I can't believe that anyone would forget yours... you're a legend!

Lily311 Wed 01-Jun-11 19:17:09

The best one I got was a voucher for a facial and full body massage (different occasions not at the same time). It costs about £80 (central London, Sanctuary spa) so semi-expensive and I was (and still am) really grateful for it. The worst was a restaurant voucher of £100 in a Michelin star restaurant -the voucher did not even cover the menu and drinks and the food wasn't even great. I never expect anything but usually get a present of a value of £50-£100.

Samedi Wed 01-Jun-11 20:08:28

I've received- from one job nothing, was there 13 months which included two Christmases and two birthdays and they didn't get me anything, not a card nor gift. Best I've had was a weeks wage as bonus (was live-in so that was £300) and a box of stuff from L'Occitane for birthday, about £50 worth. Most insane was a childrens mobile, an arty thingy to hang up!

Anything with thought is appreciated- for example, a spa voucher or bottle of wine would be appreciated but of no use to me whereas a book token for half the ammount would be much more wanted!

MilkNoSugarPlease Wed 01-Jun-11 20:50:44

I am a central London, F/T, live out nanny....I want an Ipad grin

I got £100 for christmas last year, £20 voucher the year before, cont remember year before blush

Can't remember for birthdays either blush think last year was a £20 voucher and a cake smile

Is my birthday next week so we'll see smile

Your nanny will be grateful for anything I'm sure smile

NannyNick sad that made me quite sad tbh! When is it?! My charges will make you a card grin

lobsters Wed 01-Jun-11 21:58:31

I tend to give nice smellies, nice wine, I spend what I would on a friend so about £30-40 for birthday, maybe a bit more for Xmas.

I know my nanny likes smellies and things like that, so she seems to appreciate it

OfflineFor30Seconds Wed 01-Jun-11 22:06:35

It's our nanny's birthday this weekend - she's quite young so she's getting some vouchers for TopShop from us and a bracelet from the DDs; about the same value as a good friend would get. But I'm putting a bit of money away each week for a Christmas bonus.

wickedwitchofwaterloo Wed 01-Jun-11 23:22:53

For my birthday last year I got taken on a shopping spree and for lunch and drinks at Cafe Rouge, Christmas I got The Family Business tattoo book and some lovely candles - my birthday is in 2 weeks and I already know I'll be getting tattoo vouchers :-)

LittleOneMum Thu 02-Jun-11 09:47:22

These suggestions are so helpful! OK, I don't think I am wildly out then. Key is not to forget, a bit of cash might be nice, but ultimately it's the thought that counts...

eurycantha Fri 03-Jun-11 21:22:13

I was given
£100amazon tokens for my birthday,[my bosses know I buy masses of books during the year] and chocolates and wine from the children but I always love photo s of the children and a card made by them is lovely.

N4NNY Fri 03-Jun-11 21:39:15

For christmas I got a Kindle and for my birthday I got £100 gift vouchers, MB had planed getting me Bon Jovi concert tickets but when she slyly asked me to baby sit the night of the concert she found out I already had tickets so went for vouchers instead. I have been with the family almost 7 years though.

cinpin Sat 04-Jun-11 17:34:35

I have had some lovely pressies, but I did receive an ironingboard cover for xmas one year.

Hanl30 Sat 04-Jun-11 20:43:00

I think the best presents are the ones that have some thought.

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 05-Jun-11 01:01:22

got an ipod for my birthday 2 years ago from current boss's

normally get a nice thought out pressie, last years was spa voucher for a nice amount and went with a friend as nicer to go with someone

xmas a weeks wages and few small pressies b

tbh any thought is lovely whether big or small, though a book on leprosy's was what one of my friends got one birthday and tbh wasnt that impressed - and i can see why grin

sunshinenanny Sun 05-Jun-11 21:21:45

I have recieved some lovely gifts but some also that were just not me. They ended up in a charity shop; what a waste of money. I honestly think a gift voucher for a shop you know your nanny likes is probably bestsmile

By the way cinpin! was it a designer ironing board cover or one from the 99p shop. Sorry I couldn't resist askinggrin

On a parting thought! I wish I could find an employer who gives out ipads, bonuses and generous amounts of moneywink

cinpin Sun 05-Jun-11 21:32:53

Sunshine nanny it was cathkidston, still pretty boring though. My other boss gives me an emmabrigewatermug which I love.

bubaluchy Tue 07-Jun-11 23:00:06

when I nannied in Australia I was amazingly fortunate to be given return flights to the UK for my birthday in July and for Christmas too 3 years in a row!. But candles are also good wink

StillSquiffy Wed 08-Jun-11 01:22:16

We usually spend the equivalent of a week's wages at Christmas, but nothing sizeable for birthdays. I have loved buying xmas present for nanny because I could always splurge on something lovely that I knew she wouldn't buy herself but would love.

Cupcakes0112969 Mon 13-Jun-11 14:33:59

The best gift I got was for my birthday this year when it snowed a lot! I looked after the kids as they didn't have school and had to borrow my mums wellies as the snow was so deep... my boss knew this!

A week later a parcel arrived at my house from the family, with a gorgeous pair of Joules Wellies! Navy & White stripes for playing in the snow and dog walking!! A perfect present for my job, and fancy enough that I never would have splashed out on myself. smile

nanny101 Mon 13-Jun-11 20:17:23

I think that a girft voucher for a shop you know your nanny like sounds good, that's what my boss does or bath stuff if she likes that or massage gift voucher, cause who doesn't like a massage lol lol lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now