Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Do you provide transport home for your babysitter?

(24 Posts)
EldonAve Wed 01-Jun-11 08:51:43

Just nosy really...

Do you give sitters a lift home or pay for a taxi?

expatinscotland Wed 01-Jun-11 09:04:16

Lift home, I'd have thought.

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 01-Jun-11 11:17:15

i drive so have always made my own way there and back

cinnamonbun Wed 01-Jun-11 12:07:57

I don't, but the girl is 23 and lives only a couple of tube stops away...

nannynick Wed 01-Jun-11 12:34:21

I think I've only ever had one lift home when babysitting and that was due to my push-bike being stolen from the home at which I was babysitting.

Surely if someone wants to babysit for you it is their responsibility to sort out how they will be getting to and from your home.

Lily311 Wed 01-Jun-11 13:01:17

I cycle and would never expect transfer. One family though paid for minicab when I injured my knee and couldn't cycle though i wasn't expecting it from them.

Madlizzy Wed 01-Jun-11 13:02:20

DH walks our sitter home when we use one.

mollymole Wed 01-Jun-11 13:08:51

i would always expect the babysitter to be seen home safely

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 01-Jun-11 13:11:00

guess depends on the age of the bs

if you use a young/teenager you obv feel you need to make sure she gets home safely

but an older/more professional based nanny who babysits is more then capable of getting there and back as nick said

pinkbraces Wed 01-Jun-11 13:11:47

My 16 year old DD does a lot of babysitting and the majority of families give her a lift home, it helps them as well as they dont have to give a definite home time.

Im glad about this as I still worry about my baby smile

nannynick Wed 01-Jun-11 15:44:44

Even as a young teenager I was responsible for getting myself to/from places. Maybe people weren't so protective back then... or maybe it's a bloke thing!

LittleOneMum Wed 01-Jun-11 16:04:43

Depends where you are really. Central London/easy tube ride - no. The sticks: drive home.

mogs0 Wed 01-Jun-11 17:41:26

When I was nannying in London I was always given a lift home. Quite often the parents had a taxi home and just put me in it after they'd got out.

I wouldn't feel all that safe being out on my own in the small hours of the night.

It used to be the norm in my area of London to arrange a taxi or give the babysitter a lift home.

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 01-Jun-11 17:42:52

prob a bloke thing tbh nick

and its also an added cost for parents to think about,if they have been drinking to pay for a taxi home for the bs so maybe another £10 on top

nokissymum Wed 01-Jun-11 17:44:47

It depends how old she is, and how late also, but our babysitter actually only lives a few doors from us and is 16, we always walk her to her door.

MummyDoIt Wed 01-Jun-11 17:47:50

I can't offer transport home as I'm on my own. My usual babysitter is a burly 20 year old lad who is quite capable of looking after himself on the 10 minute walk to his house, though! Other babysitters are always adults who have their own cars.

anewyear Wed 01-Jun-11 18:13:51

I was always given a lift home by the families I used to sit for, we did live in a village without street lights/pavements however.
This was a good 30 yrs ago tho.
I think personally they should offer a lift back.

eastmidlandsnightnanny Wed 01-Jun-11 20:25:42

always drive myself

however babysit for a family 2mins walk (1min jog) from home and the dad always walks back round with me which is very kind and not neccesary but his wife tells him he must!!

Summersoon Wed 01-Jun-11 21:12:18

I think that it really depends on the situation: where you live, the age and, yes, the sex of the sitter, where they live, whether they have a car or can cycle, the finish time and so on.

We live in North London and our sitters tended to live in areas like Hackney or Willesden and I always ordered a cab for them to go home. No way would I expect them to pay for that out of their evening's earnings - there would be practically nothing left!

My rule of thumb in all this was: if I would be uncomfortable walking home to their place or taking public transport, then I would not expect them to do it either.

bibbitybobbityhat Wed 01-Jun-11 21:14:06

Dh walks them home if its more than 3 minutes away. But luckily we have a few regulars who live on our street.

nannyl Thu 02-Jun-11 08:58:45

when I was a teenager, before i could drive i was always given a lift home (or walked home as many families i sat for lived within a 10mins walk). I also did a regular sit for a family a 5 min drive away (but more like 30min walk) and they would pick me up and take me home

Once i passed my driving test aged 18, i always drove (or walked) myself to babysitting. A couple of cold nights i drove there, realised how frozen my car was, and that it would be quicker to walk home than de-ice car, then go back for car in the morning!

I think its reasonable to take a 16 / 17 year old home, especially if its dark.

ConstantlyCooking Thu 02-Jun-11 09:27:53

We used to drive teenager sitters home, but with the sitters who were uni students and used to tell us about clubbing until 3am we would drop at a bus/tube convenient for them. Luckily our last young babysitter only lived 2 houses away.

SORNedWoman Tue 07-Jun-11 15:08:01

I only use sitters with their own transport (even if that's parents collecting them) because most are from another village/town up to 10 miles away, and I often use them when dh is away. Teenagers round here still tend to learn to drive and get cars at about 17-18 as there are no taxis (well, not easy to get them to come out here) or public transport and most of them can drive tractors from much younger anyway!

cumbria81 Tue 07-Jun-11 16:24:19

I always used to get walked home by the dad when I babysat and I hated it - it was a nice quiet residential street. I always used to feel it was a bit pointless.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: