Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

my nanny needs a new direction

(8 Posts)
Beckagee Tue 31-May-11 12:22:52

My lovely nanny is depressed and I feel she needs a break after 7 years looking after my babies. I suggested she volunteer oversees for 3- 6 months, but don't know how to advise her. Any thoughts?

catepilarr Tue 31-May-11 12:54:11

is she really depressed? or just feeling down? if she has depression she obviously needs medical help. otherwise going abroad, not necessarily doing vounteering, might be a good idea. the bad thing about that is that teh 'comng back' might leed into new set of difficulties emotionally.

Beckagee Tue 31-May-11 17:51:33

No, she's not proper depressed, just a little down. She's young (23) and Brazillian. She loves India and all things hippy. I (and she by the the way) feel she needs a new direction. She is amazing with children, brilliant with languages and generally a lovely person. Something like VSO might help her find a focus for her talents. I feel responsible to help her as if she were my niece or something, cos I lover her.

5318008 Tue 31-May-11 17:54:05

crikey she was 16 when she started ?

will you get in a temp nanny for the period she is on her sabbatical?

how do feel about sending her home for a spell (Brazil)?

Grabaspoon Wed 01-Jun-11 08:25:59

Wow how old are your children? Can't believe she's been working for you for 7 years and is only 23!

sarz Wed 01-Jun-11 21:03:01

wow! i am not suprised she needs a change in direction. I would probably think she needs some 'me' time rather than going into volunteering, or at least a hance for both.

I have travelled to India using a compnay called 'intrepid'. I couldnt recommend them highly enough, I felt so safe, but still used local transport, ate in local restaurants, and even stayed in a family home. I am pretty sure they also do volunteering projects.

Interestingly, I also did this as a break from a f/t live in job. I had 2 months off unpaid and came back a much calmer and refreshed nanny. My employers just hired a temp while i was away.

dorsetdumpling Sun 05-Jun-11 17:34:11

How about a yoga retreat/ashram. She could work for free accommodation and food.

sunshinenanny Sun 05-Jun-11 21:50:46

This poor girl has been caring for your children since she was 16? She certainly wasn't a nanny then! Although she may have earned the right to call herself a nanny along the way.

This girl was barely out of childhood herself when you employed her to look after your children and I wonder at the circumstances, employment contract ect.

If you think she's depressed she needs to see a doctor if she's just unhappy, ask yourself why?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now