Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Is it possible to get a temporary live-in nanny for a weekend?

(24 Posts)
Dancergirl Sat 28-May-11 21:15:24

It's my 40th birthday in Jan and I would love to go away with dh for a weekend. We have v little family help, our parents are all getting on and dh's parents don't live locally (about an hour away). We could possibly leave dd3 with dh's sister who is local and the other 2 with his parents but it will be difficult and it's during term time etc.

So is it possible to get a nanny for the weekend and how much would it cost? Where would be the best place to look? Would I be able to meet the nanny in advance and for the children to meet her?

Does anyone have any other ideas?

nannynick Sat 28-May-11 21:17:59

What do you do about evening babysitting? Is there someone you use for that, thus already knows your children?

Dancergirl Sat 28-May-11 21:22:33

We use sitters.co.uk and have a couple of favourites. Not sure if they would be interested in a whole weekend though - one of them has 4 children herself although much older.

chocolatchaud Sat 28-May-11 21:23:21

Are the DCs at school or nursery? Just wondering if there is a TA or nursery assistant who would like to earn a bit of extra money? At least you, and the DCs, would know them?

Dancergirl Sat 28-May-11 21:25:14

In Jan they will all be at the same primary school - reception, Year 4 and Year 6.

DollyTwat Sat 28-May-11 21:25:32

There is an emergency nanny service round here, try googling for your area

jellyvodkas Sat 28-May-11 21:30:16

Hello Dancergirl.. Where do you live?
It is possible to find a single weekend nanny...
.. and I wouldnt mind doing this kind of nanny work. I have 2 grown up children and my 10 yr old DS goes to his fathere every weekend. I am about to start nanny work with someone locally here and am very experienced. I was a nanny full time for 10 yrs before I had my own children, and my eldest is now 23yrs. I have since been a fitness instructor since 1995 so I am energetic, kind, caring, and love children.
Do you live nearby? and how old are your children? I am in Wiltshire by the way.

nannynick Sat 28-May-11 21:32:13

A local nanny agency may be able to provide a temp nanny, someone who lives fairly local so who could meet you before hand.

Cost wise I expect you are looking at £150 per 24 hours, possibly more. Plus then agency fees on top.

Could DH's parents come to stay at your place, or DH's sister?

Dancergirl Sat 28-May-11 21:36:14

jellyvodkas - thank you, you sound lovely but we are in NW London!!

Dancergirl Sat 28-May-11 21:38:54

nannynick - shock at the cost.

Dh is going to speak to his parents and see if they can help but tbh I don't like to impose too much - it's not fair.

The other alternative is to find a friend for them each to go to....but again I'm not sure if I can ask.

jellyvodkas Sat 28-May-11 21:39:14

ah, oh thats a shame..
My sister lives there... where are you.??

Dancergirl Sat 28-May-11 21:45:24

Stanmore

nannynick Sat 28-May-11 21:55:20

Out of interest, how much did you imagine it might cost?

Dancergirl Sat 28-May-11 23:38:55

Actually nannynick, now I think about it I suppose I'm not surprised. So will prob cost around £500 for the weekend....

pickcherries Sat 28-May-11 23:47:45

dancergirl, if you do decide to go down the nann route advertise on places such as childcare.co.uk and netmums, i wouldn't go through an agency the cost is silly! you may find a local nanny that wold like to earn a little bit more money! Im a nanny living in barnet and wouldnt mind doing something like that on a one off!

ChippingIn Sat 28-May-11 23:52:31

Can DHs parents not come and stay for the weekend?

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 29-May-11 08:49:41

yes as others have said possible to get a live in weekend nanny

i do this and charge £200per 24hrs

yes you can meet the nanny before hand/check their refs/first aid/crb etc

PaulaMummyKnowsBest Sun 29-May-11 11:20:17

dancergirl i could do it as I am only in St Albans but like blondes, I too would charge £200 per 24 hours.

eastmidlandsnightnanny Sun 29-May-11 12:46:15

yes def possible to get a live in nanny for weekend also known as a "proxy parent" for an experienced nanny who has experience of proxy parent work then you would expect to pay around £175-£200 per 24hrs and then an hrly rate of £10-£15 an hr for any odd hrs.

However you may find a nanny who is an experienced nanny but not really done any proxy parent/overnight work and is looking to start doing this and therefore would be cheaper at around £125-£150 per 24hrs.

Norlands nannies agency along with some other nannies recommend in the region of £150 per 24hrs

I personally charge £200 per 24hrs.

Would def meet with the nanny beforehand and perhaps have them babysit once beforehand and maybe pay them to do a sat afternoon for 3/4hrs to get to know children (you could stay for 1/2hr go out for few hrs then come back for final 1/2hr)

Hope you get something sorted and have a lovely weekend away.

DollyTwat Sun 29-May-11 12:57:19

JellyvVodkas can you dm me your details as I'm in Cheltenham and might need you one day, you sound lovely

eurycantha Sun 29-May-11 16:45:46

A lot of nannies do this usually we charge our usual daily rate from seven am till12am and then a lower rate for the night ,I charge £40 for the night .

FootprintsOnTheMoon Sun 29-May-11 16:52:09

Are you on an NCT mailing list, or similar?

For a single weekend, you might be able to 'borrow' a nanny who works for someone else during the week. With your ages, I dare say even a sensible/older au pair could manage....

Alternatively - again, given your kids aren't 'babies' - have you researched residential activity camps (PGL & similar)?

pickcherries Sun 29-May-11 20:08:35

dancergirl - you can email me on siobhanboland1991 at hotmail dot com if you decide on the nanny route, i would charge slightly cheaper than more experienced nanny due to being younger than most! smile

frankie3 Sun 29-May-11 21:17:57

Why don't you take a couple of days off work and go away mid week. Maybe your dh sister could have all your dds as it would only be after school, or your older dds could stay at friends after school.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: