Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Are there such things as weekend childminders?

(7 Posts)
IslaValargeone Sat 28-May-11 13:58:12

Sorry if it sounds a daft question, I have always been a sahm but will be looking for employment when we relocate. It is only likely to be in part time retail type of thing, as I would like to study too. My dh works on Saturdays too so I need someone to look after dc.

Tan007 Sat 28-May-11 14:18:08

Childminders are self employed, so they can work as and when they want. I know of childminders that work on the weekened, but many don't. Your best bet is to phone you local autority (or go on the website if they have one) and ask for the list of child minders that have spaces available, then just phone each one and ask if they are prepared to mind on the weekend. You're bound to find one or two that will. good luck.

nannynick Sat 28-May-11 14:20:10

All childminders will run their business as they like... so some may well work at weekends, whilst others may only do Mon-Fri, or only do certain days.

I would suspect that many childminders don't typically provide childcare at weekends as they leave those days for family time. However you can certainly ask around and see if there are any childminders in your area who do provide care at weekends. There may be higher childcare rates at weekends.

Also consider other options... such as a college student who may be wanting a part-time job and would consider being your part-time nanny. They would be working at your home, so your DC would not need to get out of bed in the morning if you and DH both had to leave early. You would dictate the salary level, probably something a little above National Minimum Wage... perhaps around the £6-7 gross per hour mark - though depends on what the student might accept, based on what they feel they are worth given their level of experience and relevant qualifications.

One thing I will say... if you are looking to work in Retail, then the chances are I feel are that the cost of childcare will be more than, or equal to the salary you would be paid. You may get lucky and get a well paid retail job but in my experience retail can often only pay NMW or a little over. Look at job adverts, see what sort of salary you might get. Then consider what your take home pay would be (so after tax/ni deductions) and then see how much childcare would cost you.

IslaValargeone Sat 28-May-11 14:24:35

Thankyou so much.
I wouldn't need anyone full time as dc will be at school, and I can probably juggle stuff with dh. It's just weekends that would be a potential problem I think.

lollipopmother Sat 28-May-11 16:45:21

I work every other Sat for two families, I would never sign up to do every Sat though as it's amazing how much harder it is the next week when ive only had 1 day off - I still have my own DD to look after anyway (2 and 3/4) so it's not a real rest either!!

Blondeshavemorefun Sat 28-May-11 18:09:22

look around for an older teenager/contact a childcare college and see if any students want to gain exp and earn pennies

or use a nanny

pollywollyhadadollycalledmolly Sat 28-May-11 19:10:54

Hiya, im a cm and i dont work weekends just now, but have done in the past and just had an enquiry today for care on a sunday.

I have no problems about doing it (the child in question is the same age as my DD so will be more like friend for her).

You will find that most cms will charge an enhanced rate for this kind of care, as obv this is most cms days off and we need to make it worth our while. I charge £4 during the week and £6 on the weekends.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: