Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

advice on risk assessment please

(17 Posts)
MUM2BLESS Wed 25-May-11 12:56:13

I am aware of the different risk assess that need to be done.

Do you have to fill in a form for every trip you do or have you got a main form which you just tick?

It can get a bit much doing forms every time for school runs, library etc.

Have you got any suggestions on how to cut down on paper for risk assess. I know that Ofsted want to see it on paper.

Your advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks. smile

MUM2BLESS Wed 25-May-11 12:57:32

If you have a sample you can let me look at I would be so so grateful! (Hint hint)

Thank you!

apotomak Wed 25-May-11 13:05:18

I RA every kind of trip or outing. If they are regular things like a particular school run or a playgroup visit I have a RA on a separate sheet and then do something like this: a big sheet with days of the week (1,2,3,4 etc) on the left and at the top I have the names of the outings. So it looks like a big table with lots of boxes and then I just tick each day where we went. Remeber every single RA has to have a date it was created (or a review date) and a name of the person who filled it in (I saw it comes up a lot in inspection reports)

apotomak Wed 25-May-11 13:06:42

Oh an at the bottom of the table I have space for comments so I can write if something changes.

Berryred Wed 25-May-11 13:58:24

lol you asked for it!!

http://www.southglos.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/012C965D-047A-4E79-90A9-9883D3DAF0CC/0/CYP090022.pdf enjoy!

Get yourself on a risk assessment course!

Berryred Wed 25-May-11 14:01:20

I do a risk assessment for everything! Toddlers, library, sure start, school runs, other trips, walking to the shops blah blah..................

HSMM Wed 25-May-11 14:24:21

I have risk assessments for each room in the house, drive and garden, each regular outing, a general one for out and about, which lists every eventuality I can think of. I make notes in my diary/register of where we have been and any risks identified, which are not on my main document. These notes also include extra risks identified in our normal daily activities - ie biting child, cars parked on the pavement we walk down, etc.

Risk assessment also includes what action I am going to take, if any, as a result of identifying the risk.

I got pulled up at my last inspection for not having a planned review date shown on my risk assessment, despite the fact that it was dated the day before.

looneytune Wed 25-May-11 14:47:38

HSMM - I'm in the middle of changing my templates as mine are very complicated and I'd rather they were simplified! Would you mind emailing a template to me? K.E did give me a sample of the ones they recommend but thought I'd see how you do yours first. I'd ideally like them updated before my assessor visit! wink.

MUM2BLESS Wed 25-May-11 19:30:59

Thanks everyone smile

How often should you review your risk assess form?

5318008 Wed 25-May-11 19:35:23

review annually at the least

I review quarterly, and when a new child begins, and if any issues arise

one-offs (like visiting the zoo or wildlife centre) I review immediately as soon as the children have gone home that day

HSMM Wed 25-May-11 19:40:49

Looney. I'll send you mine, but feel free to improve on them.

MUM2BLESS Wed 25-May-11 19:40:53

thanks 5318008.

Excuse me asking what does the numbers stand for?

5318008 Wed 25-May-11 20:05:23

heh heh If you turn the screen upside down it spells BOOBIES

mizzy Wed 25-May-11 21:03:32

You can also download risk assessments from the place you are visiting. Eg. if you were going to The Deep in Hull, go onto their website and download their RA. You then do not have to do a recce if you have never been there before. Just date it the day you go & file it afterwards.

Berryred Thu 26-May-11 12:13:17

heehee can't write that on modern calculaters anymore boooo

Danthe4th Fri 27-May-11 08:43:07

A good tip I was given and have found useful is to carry a risk assessment notebook.If you want to change your plans and stop at a park you haven't been to before you can then jot down a quick risk assessment.
It shows ofsted that you do think about it when out and about. Paperwork does not have to be pretty and printed out just so long as it does the job, keep it simple.
The health and safety website has a good printout on how to do a risk assessment, worth printing out and filing with your risk assessments.
I also have a tick list for risk assessing my house but I do date it every time. Its the date that ofsted are looking for to show that you do do it every day before mindees arrive.

MUM2BLESS Fri 27-May-11 22:17:56

5318008. You kinna made me smile, has anyone asked you about the numbers before?

anyway back to the subject... some great advice which I deeply appreciate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now