Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Yup, Boff's got through another nanny ...

(139 Posts)
BoffinMum Thu 19-May-11 21:46:54

Sooooo, my latest nanny's just told me she's resigning because she doesn't enjoy looking after my eldest DC (aged 13). And she wants to go back to Turkey to be with her mum (nanny is 32).

Hand me the chocolate.

I think I am facing career death, because I can't imagine going through childcare trauma for 9 months again like last time. So I am thinking about sitting on the sofa all day watching Jeremy Kyle instead. I only make £25 a week going to work at the moment anyway. Why bother?

nannynick Thu 19-May-11 21:49:55

Oh no shock she seemed so suitable for the job on paper.

Has she given you much time to find a replacement?

Summersoon Thu 19-May-11 21:50:04

Hello Boff, so sorry to hear of your predicament. My nanny walked out on me - twice - earlier this year because she basically wanted to go back to her home country so I think I know how you feel. Chin up and good luck finding a new one!

BoffinMum Thu 19-May-11 21:51:31

She's blardy fantastic, but she basically only really wants to work with under 8's, like nearly all nannies.

I am doomed.

I am not going to look for another one because I really am fed up battling the system.

Grockle Thu 19-May-11 21:53:23

Don't know what to say but childcare issues are a nightmare. Sorry sad

nannynick Thu 19-May-11 21:53:47

So what now... will you see if you can find some part-time work, or will you enjoy life as a SAHM?

foxinsocks Thu 19-May-11 21:56:52

Don't give up boff!

triskaidekaphile Thu 19-May-11 21:57:26

Why is she looking after your 13 year old? 13's a bit old for a nanny, surely?

Grockle Thu 19-May-11 21:58:28

Can you not use a childminder? or an Au Pair?

fivegomadindorset Thu 19-May-11 21:59:55

Because Boff has three other younger children.

BoffinMum Thu 19-May-11 22:00:42

Enjoy life as a SAHM?
Yeah, they'll bloody love talking to me at the school gate even more than they do now, what with my uppity degrees and forrin ways and so on.
I meant it when I said I am going to sit at home. The rest of the SAHM gang around here aren't very nice at all and I've got nothing in common with them apart from a reproductive system and a postcode. They have made that more than clear.

stealthsquiggle Thu 19-May-11 22:00:57

How old are the other DC? Would an Au Pair work?

(sitting on sofa watching Jeremy Kyle is an expensive option - think of the chocolate bill!)

triskaidekaphile Thu 19-May-11 22:01:12

Can't she and the 13 y.o. just ignore each other?

BoffinMum Thu 19-May-11 22:02:17

I've got DS (2), DS (10) and DS (13). The latter is only here a couple of hours a day after school, most of which time he is doing his homework, but even that's too much for her apparently.

nannynick Thu 19-May-11 22:03:05

Maybe worth a quick look on Childcare.co.uk should there be any nannies in your area who may be suitable - sometimes you can find other mums whose children have flown the nest, who may not be too concerned about taking care of a teenager.

Grockle Thu 19-May-11 22:03:39

The school run mums sound awful. I suspect you might be bored if you had to watch jeremy kyle every day

BoffinMum Thu 19-May-11 22:04:27

OMG my nanny is on there! shock

triskaidekaphile Thu 19-May-11 22:05:10

Ok- send the 2 year old to nursery and book the 10 year old into after school club. 13 year old can look after himself for a couple of hours apres school. Et voila- No Need for a Nanny.

stealthsquiggle Thu 19-May-11 22:06:51

So much for "she wants to go back to Turkey to be with her mum" confused

you need to find someone who can deal with not interfering with 13yo - maybe someone with much younger siblings? The matrons at DS's school (who are effectively AuPair/nannies) position themselves as "big sisters"

NerfHerder Thu 19-May-11 22:09:38

shock Oh dear... so much for honesty!

nannynick Thu 19-May-11 22:22:27

Of course your nanny is on there... all us nannies are probably on there, though not in a full time job seeking mode (more for things like ad-hoc babysitting). Your nanny hasn't logged in since January, so no indication that she's doing anything different to what she has told you about going back to Turkey.

Use the Advanced Search option and enter your full postcodde, set mileage to say 4 miles, and sort by last login - should then get a list of those nannies who are in the area and actively seeking work.

BoffinMum Thu 19-May-11 22:32:40

I work a 12 hour day so nursery isn't possible, as my hours and commute are too long.

BoffinMum Thu 19-May-11 22:34:08

Just seen a local person we know and like on there, who still babysits for us from time to time. You never know ...

gruber Thu 19-May-11 22:34:11

Boff, so sorry to hear that after all the trauma of before. If I lived near you I'd volunteer to be your nanny! But I don't, and it sounds like you've had enough.

Eldest I've had to care for (ish) was 15 with 3 younger siblings down to 8 - loved that job and still in touch with the family. I really hope you find a good solution to your dilemma.

nannynick Thu 19-May-11 22:36:10

Someone who already knows you... that sounds promising - are they looking for full time work? Worth contacting them, especially as you already have their contract details.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: