Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CAR SEATS - I need NARROW boosters - any advice???

(32 Posts)
looneytune Fri 18-Mar-11 10:07:31

Just a quicky.......I've got some graco full booster seats but in order to have 3 in the back of my new car, I really need narrower boosters. I know they are out there but am struggling to find them. Any recommendations???

arfanarf Fri 18-Mar-11 10:11:05

britax adventure is a narrow booster and doesn't have those annoying arms that get in the way when you're trying to do the seat belt up.

Ealingkate Fri 18-Mar-11 10:11:29

If you can't fit three booster seats in the back of your car then one child does not have to sit on one. See here

looneytune Fri 18-Mar-11 11:21:19

Thanks. Unfortunately that seat is wider than my current seats, even though the bottom part is narrower by the looks of it.

The link didn't work but I'm guessing it was pointing at the guidelines about it only being law if the seat is available? If it was, I'm aware of that and have put my almost 8 year old with just a seatbelt before but I'm a childminder and really need to transport the children in the safest way. Just a shame I go and buy an 8 seater car where the current seats don't fit in the back row!! Oh well.

Ealingkate Fri 18-Mar-11 11:43:29

This is meant to be a very narrow booster seat. I found it on a link on NetPsychos wink

looneytune Fri 18-Mar-11 12:00:59

Thanks for that. My mistake, should have made myself clear, I'm hoping for high back boosters that are narrow enough as I think parents prefer these? What do you other childcarers use? I'm open to bottom boosters if parents are happy with them, although the law will be changing in a few years and they will no longer be available.

babyapplejack Fri 18-Mar-11 12:04:31

I would keep 2 existing highback boosters and put a very skinny booster cushion in the middle.

Such as this one:

www.gbdriver.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=107

I have 2 highback boosters in my car and this skinny cushion in the middle. The child on the cushion is protected from side impact if the sides of the carseats on either side are appropriately designed and also their head can be protected by the adult headrest.

nannyl Fri 18-Mar-11 12:17:26

mother care has a really cheap one described as narrow
saw it when flicking through the catalouge last night... the cheapest mothercare own brand one

looneytune Fri 18-Mar-11 12:18:35

That's great!! Today I have borrowed one of those very similar to the other link (mindee's mum let me play around today) and although it's small enough to sit inside my older son's bottom booster, it's still just a tiny bit too wide. This other is 5 cms smaller in width so SHOULD be ok Thanks!

thisisyesterday Fri 18-Mar-11 12:18:47

go and try some in a shop if you can

we had to fit 3 seats across the back of our car, and mothercare sold us a graco hignback booster as it was the narrowest.
it was, technically.

however, because of the arm rests it didn't fit in with our other 2 seats.
we swapped it for a britax adventure, which (on paper) is a cm or 2 wider, but because it has no arm rests it fits fine!

so narrowest doesn't always equal best fit. def try them

looneytune Fri 18-Mar-11 12:19:21

nannyl - I went to Mothercare on Monday and they told me the Graco was the narrowest they did. Will double check their site though

Sleepwhenidie Fri 18-Mar-11 12:23:41

Alternative, if you think it is worth the investment, which it may well be if you are a childminder regularly driving kids around, is a multimac. We have one and it is so convenient for getting an extra child in.

Anonymousbird Fri 18-Mar-11 12:24:10

Best one I got, can get three across is the basic Mothercare own brand one.... just got the cushion part, no backs.

But it's not on their site any more!

YesPleaseDrChristian Fri 18-Mar-11 12:30:30

I got a very skinny basic booster (no back just the seat pad) from Halfords, that was great for the middle seat in our old Mazda estate. Fitted in nicely with a Maxi Cosi high back booster on either side.

looneytune Fri 18-Mar-11 13:52:43

thisisyesterday - that's what I was hoping for, to try combinations out but she just said 3 won't fit (the back row of 3 is definitely narrower than the middle row of 3) hmm

Sleepwhenidie - I have seen these and think they look good but I've just taken a loan out to upgrade my older 7 seater to a newer 8 seater and really can't afford another £1300+ (this is how much it costs for a 4 seat bench which is what I'd do if I went for it as it would be a waste of time spending that much money to not actually give me extra seats). They look great though and I know a local CM who's currently turning their 8 seater to a 9 seater using one

Anonymousbird - I checked on their site earlier and yes, that isn't listed anymore so they've probably stopped doing them.

YesPleaseDrChristian - I think you might be talking about the same one I borrowed today. Unfortunately it's a tiny bit too wide but the link from babyapplejack seems to be ok size wize so now I've just got to see how the parents feel about it

Oh, if only I had a spare £1300, I'd love to turn it into a 9 seater as would mean from December I could take another on. Oh well, best get saving! wink

januaryjojo Fri 18-Mar-11 18:37:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

You set me off looking for one myself -I have Kia c'eed and struggle to get the booste I have in the middle!

Have found a slimline booster cushion on gbdriver.co.uk. Looks fine and have ordered one for myself.

ilovemydogandMrObama Fri 18-Mar-11 19:54:55

Halford's own brand. Absolutely the slimmest.

Managed to fit 2 and a baby seat in the back....

ObamaSelf Fri 18-Mar-11 20:47:46

What about this Voyager booster seat? It was recommended to me by a friend when I was moaning about how difficult it was to get 3 car seats in the back of a Ford Focus. And its only £7.95!
direct.tesco.com/q/R.206-4508.aspx

Jude89 Tue 22-Mar-11 02:15:19

nothing useful to add here, but I love the way tesco describe the Voyager boosted seat as "This bright coloured booster..."

Looney - did you get sorted? The slimline one I bought from gbdriver came this morning and is fab! Lightweight, washable cover and has space around it between 2 large car seats smile

looneytune Sat 26-Mar-11 07:48:47

Yes, I ordered that one, just waiting for it to arrive Can't wait to try it out!

It does look flimsy but mine has been 'test driven' and mindee loved it! Might get another in a few months

looneytune Sat 26-Mar-11 13:46:27

Cool, mine has arrived now!!! grin Actually, 2 have arrived (no idea why, I only ordered and paid for 1!!). Dh is out in that car though as he's taken ds1 and a few lads to the cinema (birthday) so I now have to wait until I can see if it fits like it should! Wish me luck

looneytune Mon 28-Mar-11 21:14:15

Well it fits perfectly and I already have kiddies fighting over who gets to sit in it!! grin

Thanks so much to everyone for all the advise, got there in the end :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now