Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

NNEB

(9 Posts)
bubbleOseven Sat 15-Jan-11 18:21:35

Hi I'm horribly out of touch but I'd like a career change and am looking at becoming a live out nanny. Can someone please tell me what the modern equivalent of the NNEB is these days,.

tia.

bubbleOseven Sat 15-Jan-11 18:24:24

is it the

CACHE Level 3 Diploma in Home-based Childcare

onimolap Sat 15-Jan-11 18:26:55

It's the level 3 GNVQ.

bubbleOseven Sat 15-Jan-11 18:30:59

thanks onimolap, is the level 3 GNVQ the same thing the CACHE Diploma in Home based ?Childcare?

jendifa Sat 15-Jan-11 19:02:56

I did the CACHE Diploma in Child Care (DCE) and Education.
I understood this to be the new equivalent, but I think most level 3 qualifications will do. I used my DCE to be a nanny, as did others on my course.

GoldFrakkincenseAndMyrrh Sat 15-Jan-11 19:14:52

All wrong! It's now the level 3 Diploma for the children and young people's workforce. The old qualifications (DHC, DCE, NVQ) all lost their accreditation on 31/12/10 meaning no new learners could be registered. As of 1st January this year there is one, single qualification for new learners. All the old ones are still valid for their holders but you can't start them.

This new diploma is supposed to be completely transferrable and stop all the 'what the heck is an NNEB nowadays?!'.

The DHC was aimed at nannies and childminders but never really took off because it had no practical placements so was seen as inferior to the DCE or the NVQ. It also didn't qualify you for nurseries as the NNEB did. The NVQ was better if you were working, the DCE had a wide range of placements and more academic stuff rather than work-related theory, then you had the BTEC which was more academic yet again (supposedly). The immediate successor of the NNEB was the DCE. Not that any of the last paragraph is relevant because what you want is this

GoldFrakkincenseAndMyrrh Sat 15-Jan-11 19:15:54

All wrong! It's now the level 3 Diploma for the children and young people's workforce. The old qualifications (DHC, DCE, NVQ) all lost their accreditation on 31/12/10 meaning no new learners could be registered. As of 1st January this year there is one, single qualification for new learners. All the old ones are still valid for their holders but you can't start them.

This new diploma is supposed to be completely transferrable and stop all the 'what the heck is an NNEB nowadays?!'.

The DHC was aimed at nannies and childminders but never really took off because it had no practical placements so was seen as inferior to the DCE or the NVQ. It also didn't qualify you for nurseries as the NNEB did. The NVQ was better if you were working, the DCE had a wide range of placements and more academic stuff rather than work-related theory, then you had the BTEC which was more academic yet again (supposedly). The immediate successor of the NNEB was the DCE. Not that any of the last paragraph is relevant because what you want is this

GoldFrakkincenseAndMyrrh Sat 15-Jan-11 19:17:03

GoldFrakkincenseAndMyrrh Sat 15-Jan-11 19:17:52

Apologies for the multiple posts! iPhone being bizarre grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: