Advanced search

Childminding/nannying accounts

(4 Posts)
mogs0 Sat 15-Jan-11 13:43:26

I'm a s/e childminder and have been asked if I'd be interested in nannying a couple of mornings a week. It would be more of an ad-hoc arrangement rather than a fixed, long-term arrangement.

If I go ahead with it, I'd suggest sorting out my own tax and NI as a S/E nanny.

I was wondering if I need to do a separate tax return or whether both sets of earnings can go through one set of accounts?

Blondeshavemorefun Sat 15-Jan-11 14:51:22

not a cm but you would be se for both so surely would be one tax return

mogs0 Sat 15-Jan-11 15:36:13

That was the answer I was hoping for but I wasn't sure!

mranchovy Sat 15-Jan-11 18:25:22

In general, you need to fill in a separate tax return for each business - see this HMRC help sheet.

However as it is all childcare it is debatable whether this would be a separate business. Of course this assuming that the nannying work is viewed by HMRC as (part of) a self employed business, or is employment. There have been lots of threads here about this, so I won't go over it again, other than to say that the onus is on the parent to get this right, not you, and the fact that you are in business as a child carer (albeit a home-based childcarer) does have a bearing on the situation.

So in practical terms, one self-employment tax return may be correct, but without knowing all of the details of the particular situation it is not possible to confirm that.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: