Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Can you please tell me if my fees seem fair to you - London based

(19 Posts)
Summerfruit Tue 11-Jan-11 18:28:43

Hi !

I used to look after a little girl last year but she left because her mum was in maternity leave. Now the mum wants to have me back so I can look after her 2 dds. I used to charge her 50 pounds a day

Now I'm planning on charging her :
75 pounds a day during term time (the bigger dd goes to playgroup for a couple of hours)

85 pounds a day during holidays.

When the biggest dd goes to school in september, I'll charge her :

68 pounds a day (full day care for the baby and afterschool for the eldest)

Do you think it is fair ? I'll only have them 2 days.

Thank you for your opinion.

Summerfruit Tue 11-Jan-11 18:45:16

bump

headfairy Tue 11-Jan-11 18:47:35

Is this for nannying or childminding? Is this net or gross? How long are the days?

Summerfruit Tue 11-Jan-11 18:48:34

Childminding and its gross. My hours are 8 til 6.

CarGirl Tue 11-Jan-11 18:48:45

I live in commuter belt surrey, standard rate around here is around £6-£7 per house childminding for the first child.

malovitt Tue 11-Jan-11 18:49:24

I currently look after two siblings for two days and charge £7 per hour for each child (London based too) so yes, your charges seem fine to me.

Summerfruit Tue 11-Jan-11 18:52:38

Thank you I was anxious about overcharging as I never looked after siblings before.

StarExpat Tue 11-Jan-11 21:16:57

Where is that cargirl? I"m in a similar area and all cms are £5 per hour

sassyminder Tue 11-Jan-11 21:29:29

Honestly I would think of charging more because I don't think that sibling discount is fair when it comes to childminding and to comply with Ofsted requirements...and you are still going to be the emergency contact in case the bigger girl needs to be picked up earlier from playgroup or school. And also they come 2 days a week only. Unless you don't need to fill the places with full time children or is not registered....

chandellina Wed 12-Jan-11 15:58:38

sounds like a lot to me. I paid £35 for 8am-6pm for a childminder near Waterloo.

Kewcumber Wed 12-Jan-11 16:07:41

my childminder (expensive part of London) charged £5 per hr (£50 per day) with sibling discount though I can;t remember how much that was. so £68 would sound a little expnsive being £50 for baby and £18 ie £6 per hour for after school care) I think £62 around here would be fairer.

But £75 sounds cheap for two, my CMdidn;t give discount for playgroup/nursery as she couldn;t fill the space for that time. Seemed reasonable to me.

Kewcumber Wed 12-Jan-11 16:08:31

School don;t ring childminders here if your child is sick - they ring you (presumably you would have to pay if you wanted your CM to drop everything and go pick up unexpectedly)

Kewcumber Wed 12-Jan-11 16:10:02

and also it comparative isn;t it - CM's give discount because other CM's give discount and you need to be competitive. Whilst I wouldn;t "shop around" if I were happy with my childminder, few people have the luxury of paying higher care fees than they absolutely need to.

Novstar Wed 12-Jan-11 16:14:23

The CM I once made an enquiry (expensive London zone 2) said she would charge £14/h for two children. I've always wondered who could afford her and whether she ever reduced her price. Probably not very helpful to OP....

Booh Wed 12-Jan-11 16:43:56

I am in the south east (commuter belt)and I charge £6 ph and not sibling discount

iskra Wed 12-Jan-11 22:51:27

Don't know about sibling discount, but my childminder in zone 2 charges £50 for a day, so your charge for 2 sibs sounds reasonable to me.

rita2007 Thu 13-Jan-11 18:37:50

can someone please guide me - if i want the childminer to come to our house from 11am to 7pm - am i meant to get a live out nanny or a childminer or babysitter? Helped!

PatriciaHolm Thu 13-Jan-11 18:59:51

A childminder can't look after your children in your house - you would need a nanny for that.

pollywollyhadadollycalledmolly Thu 13-Jan-11 19:51:12

I wouldnt offer any discount at all for siblings. They still take up as much of your time, your food, your arts and crafts materials etcetc and sometimes siblings can be even harder work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now