Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Pathetic PFB question re milestones

(22 Posts)
TitianTinselTemptress Tue 11-Jan-11 10:45:19

I know I am being unbelievably feeble to ask this, but now that I am back at work I have this worry that DD will take her first unaided steps when she is with the CM - which is fine, but if she does I would rather not know, so that I can remain under the impression that I was there to see it!

Is there some kind of unspoken rule whereby the CM will not tell me?

Adair Tue 11-Jan-11 10:49:15

grin
Aw, I felt like this a bit too. You need to mention it in a jokey way I think.

PaisleyLeaf Tue 11-Jan-11 11:13:54

These milestones are often gradual things. It's not like your DD will be not walking one day, then start walking after lunch the next. It's little bits of balance standing, cruising etc - all gradual.
You won't miss anything she'll be doing those things with you too.

TitianTinselTemptress Tue 11-Jan-11 12:59:33

Thanks Adair. I know what you mean, Paisley - she is 11mo, so doing lots of cruising and standing up unsupported for a minute, just hasn't taken those first unaided shuffles steps yet! I just don't want to pick her up and for CM to go "Ooh she did 2 steps by herself!" - rightly or not, I would be gutted! But mentioning it seems to sort of jinx it IYSWIM! Just wondered if any CMs had a take on it really!...

drinkyourmilk Tue 11-Jan-11 13:08:21

Tell her - she will understand completely. As a nanny my charges never do anything first with me that i tell my bosses about

dobby2001 Tue 11-Jan-11 13:18:17

Ahh if the childminder is experienced then she would make sure that any firsts happen at home with you wink

Tis a bit tricky at times - I had on little girl who was almost running at mine before she bothered to get up of her bottom and walk at home - was so worried mum would see her through th window at pick up one day and be distraught blush

wrinklyraisin Tue 11-Jan-11 14:53:57

All my charges milestones have conveniently occurred over the weekend wink

I think unless told otherwise by the parents, it's best to keep schtum about first steps etc. It's so much nicer and way more exciting for parents to witness it

hatsybatsy Tue 11-Jan-11 15:50:34

felt the same at you and yet somehow, both my children miraculously took their first steps on a sunday in front of me and dh hmm - I often wonder if our Nanny was just ebing tactful!!!

HSMM Tue 11-Jan-11 20:14:36

I remember a friend of mine catching sight of her DD riding a tricycle through the window at nursery and she broke down in tears, because she had done it at nursery first. My mindees never do anything for the first time with me grin

NickNacks Tue 11-Jan-11 21:24:59

I've never found any teeth or seen first steps either wink

TitianTinselTemptress Tue 11-Jan-11 22:30:42

Excellent many thanks all I feel reassured that DD will certainly not do anything too exciting in front of the CM wink Thank you I am glad I posted smile

softnstrong Tue 11-Jan-11 22:32:26

Oh, you lovely childminders/nannies!

SecretSlattern Tue 11-Jan-11 22:35:29

DD2 went to the CM for the first time with old timer DS today.

She cut her first tooth hmm.

CM was lovely, she didn't think I would mind her telling me, but was a bit shocked, then a weeny bit sad and then totally over it within about 5 minutes.

MilkNoSugarPlease Tue 11-Jan-11 23:16:10

Charges have never done anything first with me either!

I think it may be an unspoken rule

MilkNoSugarPlease Tue 11-Jan-11 23:17:49

Although can I just say, it can backfire on you, when you get a text at 5am stating she has just taken her first steps by MB, accompanies with pictures that sent themselves repeatedly over the next day and all through the following night hmm

anewyear Wed 12-Jan-11 09:57:00

I had a mindee who took his 1st steps with
me, and no I never told the parents.

TitianTinselTemptress Wed 12-Jan-11 11:00:50

shock MilkNoSugar - despite my CM being quite fond of my DD, I am not under any false impression regarding the level of excitement she may have at her milestones! I would not even text a Grandparent at 5am let alone anyone else!

MilkNoSugarPlease Wed 12-Jan-11 22:03:31

I've almost forgiven her for it now wink

Only I got the text, not even grandparents!

I won't lie, I had to feign enthusiasm QUITE alot

TitianTinselTemptress Wed 12-Jan-11 22:35:01

Mentalist! grin

TitianTinselTemptress Wed 12-Jan-11 22:36:08

And I have to admit DD wouldn't be given the opportunity to take her first steps at that hour of the morning grin

chickadee87 Thu 13-Jan-11 21:18:57

one of my charges took her first wobbly steps with me, i didnt say anything as dad mentioned in passing 'MB would be devestated if she missed first steps, so keep shtum!' basically (in a nice way). I just said something like ' Shes well on her way to her first steps!'

One fond memory i have is i took one charge to the park one day and we practised and practised his steps, untill he was consistently walking 3 steps at each time. his mum was thrilled when i plonked him down at home and he -strolled- wobbled towards her! it was lovely

callaird Thu 13-Jan-11 22:33:26

I've been a nanny for 24 years, during the early years the children had a few milestones for me (first mum loved her child but had no time for him, so wasn't at all bothered that he did/said things with me first, second job, worked for widowed father and he had no clue what was going on! Seriously greiving and struggling with two under 2 so he didn't care if they did things for me first) then worked for a SAHM, who was completely gutted when I told her her 18 month old did something for me before she saw it, from then on, none of my charges have done any firsts with me first!!

I do tell them that I think the child is really close on a friday on my way out of the door though!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: