Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How far away is your CM/ nursery?

(13 Posts)
stereo Sun 09-Jan-11 08:38:11

Just wondering how far everyone travels to drop off their DC's. We think we may have found a CM but she's not the nearest nor is she on the way to work! Thanks

Rhian82 Sun 09-Jan-11 08:43:23

Our nursery is quite a way away now. It was close when I was pregnant, but we've moved house twice since then! (and the nursery itself has essentially moved as well, further away from us)

I wouldn't change now because we really like the nursery and the staff - I do think that being really happy with the person/people looking after your child is worth a little inconvenience, within reason.

arentfanny Sun 09-Jan-11 08:45:20

6.5 miles.

threefeethighandrising Sun 09-Jan-11 09:22:14

I definitely think it's worth traveling for a CM or nursery you are happy with. DS went to a fantastic CM when we lived in London. She was just a head and shoulders above the rest (treated CMing as a serious profession, OFSTED outstanding, and just a lovely, lovely person who was passionate about making a brilliant environment for her kids).

It took DP just under half an hour in the car to get there, or for me it was 45 minutes on public transport on a good day.

It was great knowing DS was somewhere he was happy and that we were 100% comfortable with, I didn't mind traveling for that at all.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 09-Jan-11 09:27:31

It's a 10 minute walk, 15 mins if DD is on her scooter but we are very lucky to have such a good nursery so close. If we had stayed in our last down I would have had to drive for good childcare.

onimolap Sun 09-Jan-11 09:34:13

Our lovely nursery was about 25 minutes walk (adult speed), and then on bus route to work. When DS started school, it was that journey then another 20mins to the school (fortunately also on a useful bus route).

I was very glad when DD also went to school and it was back to only one drop off!

KathH Sun 09-Jan-11 09:42:44

CM is a bus ride away. Luckily I only have to do this about twice a week as dh works shifts and drops ds off in the car the other days. Well worth the hassle as have been going for just over 14 years as eldest dd is now 18. She's a fab cm and when we moved (we used to live round the corner from her) didn't hesitate in carrying on with her.

mousymouse Sun 09-Jan-11 09:46:53

half a mile, half way between home and work.

Numberfour Sun 09-Jan-11 09:57:29

When I went back to my old job after maternity leave, my first (and CRAP!) CM was in the same street as me.

Second and FABULOUS Cm was first a 10 min walk from us, and then she moved. I followed her even though it meant a 20 minute drive out of my way because I wanted her and no one else to loook after my son who was 7 months at the time.

Now I am a CM and while most of my families are close (less than 10 minute drive), I am not en route for all of them.

hoops997 Sun 09-Jan-11 16:35:21

mine is less than a mile away, between my house and work, I was very lucky to find a good one so close.......

StarExpat Sun 09-Jan-11 19:47:16

My cm is on my way to work and pretty much across the street from where I work. If anything were to happen I could be there in a flash. I wouldn't ever send him if I wasn't going to work, so it's perfect for me.
Having him close to me while I'm at work makes everything easier as hours are shorter, I don't feel anxious because he's so nearby and the morning drop off/afternoon collection is very easy. I work only a 10-15 minute drive from home as well, so not much time in the car.
And I love our cm. She's great!

Barbeasty Sun 09-Jan-11 19:47:32

Ours will be 10 miles away, on the way to work for DH and a possible route for me if I'm in a certain office that day, otherwise a 20 mile round trip for me.

There isn't a nursery that takes under-twos within 4 miles of us, and if we used a childminder near us then we would need to drop DD off before 7 to get into work on time.

ojmummy Sun 09-Jan-11 20:51:17

wow some people have quite a trip to their CM/nursery! Mine is 8 mins walk from home (2 mins in car). I prefer having CM close to home as if I am off work but its a CM day I can send DS easily if I want to, plus if I change jobs a CM near my current work would be no good; I'm more likely to stay in my current house long term than current job. Also like the fact that if DS is still with current CM when he starts school she will be able to do school runs for him. Am hoping CM doesnt move house until DS is at least 11!! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now