Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

DS 17 mo starts at nursery on Monday

(7 Posts)
deliakate Wed 05-Jan-11 18:31:18

and I am feeling increasingly anxious and wondering if there is another way. Its a very sought after nursery, and have waited almost a year to hear back from them. I won't be going back to work, but am preg with no. 2, due in June, and so could use the rest.

But now I am worrying about him being there for 2 full days (their minimum weekly time). Perhaps he'd be better off with a different type of childcare, maybe in our home.....

Basically, the cost is about £120 per week. Can anyone suggest what kind of in home help I could use instead of nursery? I would need to go out sometimes for appointments etc, so some sole care would be needed.

nannynick Wed 05-Jan-11 18:58:40

Where in the country are you? Would you be wanting the same number of hours, or would you settle for say 1/2 the hours at the same cost?

deliakate Wed 05-Jan-11 19:48:49

Am in Kent. Are you suggesting having a nanny? How many hours would a nanny do for that pay? Thanks

HeroShrew Wed 05-Jan-11 19:54:03

He'll likely get a lot of benefit from nursery, you could see how he gets on? I imagine you'll need to give them a month's notice to take him out anyway, so to reassure you for while he's there my DS was at nursery for full days from 14-18mo and his social skills and language rocketed and they filled his days in a way I could never have done.

nannynick Wed 05-Jan-11 20:04:02

I would doubt that you would get more than 8 hours, once you have added in all the costs of having a nanny.

Are there any colleges local to you which run childcare courses? Could offering a placement for a student be something to consider - given that you will be around to supervise them.

deliakate Wed 12-Jan-11 16:12:52

Wah, worst fears have materialised - on his first full morning, DS has been bitten by another toddler. He was apparently trying to sit on her at the time. Now I feel pissed off, confused and sad.

Its a good idea to look at local colleges - or I was thinking about a mother's help.

Are mother's help still classed as employees, ie I'd have to pay her tax etc? I think I'd get one through an agency, as would never be able to pick someone myself... but assuming they would be less of a cost than a nanny? I would be there probably 80% + of the time, so they would genuinely just be helping me out.....

nannynick Wed 12-Jan-11 17:47:15

Doesn't matter what the job title is - it's the nature of the work that makes them an employee.
Mothers Help is just an Unqualified Nanny who is prepared to do more household duties.

Children can be bitten in any childcare setting, including toddler groups which you/nanny may take your son to... while it can be avoidable children need costant watching. Today your son was the victim, in future he may be the one doing the bite.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: