Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

minimum age for a mindee?

(46 Posts)
Strix Wed 05-Jan-11 17:32:17

Is there a minimum age at which ofsted will allow a childminder to look after a mindee? i ask because I seem to see a lot of people take from 3 months and up and just wonder if this is dictated by Ofsted? Or just common practice?

I am looking for someone to look after a young baby so I can work off some pregnancy fat and get back into my work clothes by the time baby is 3 months old. So childcare from 3 months onward is useless.

Am I taking up a lost cause?

lifeinagoldfishbowl Wed 05-Jan-11 17:33:59

Not sure about childminders but nannies can have from birth and come to you so saves the effort of leaving the house with a newborn then going for exercise, then returning for baby.

KatyMac Wed 05-Jan-11 17:35:39

I have had from 6 day old, but it is very hard especially if the baby is breastfed

PandaG Wed 05-Jan-11 17:38:51

I had a baby from 6 weeks, but only for a short period of time while the mum attended a class - as he was almost solely breastfed a couple of hours at a time was just about ok with and emergency expressed bottle.

I used to go to an exercise class aimed at mums with babes - they had an area at the side for babies to lie, and we used them as weights for some exercises - seriously! maybe there might be soemthing like that locally?

or what about going running and pushing baby in the pram?

RealityIsShaggingWithIntent Wed 05-Jan-11 17:39:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pickyourbattles Wed 05-Jan-11 17:42:21

I think you need to cut yourself some slack blush. Long walks with the pram and eating healthily will do just fine. How much exercise are you planning that you need a CM? shock

pippin26 Wed 05-Jan-11 17:54:24

No there is no minimum age you can take a child from

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 05-Jan-11 17:57:46

yousankmybattleship Wed 05-Jan-11 18:00:49

I'm assuming you haven't had your baby yet? Looking after and playing with your baby is maybe a tad more important than your figure. I'm sure you could get your uniform in a bigger size if necessary.

OverflowingMum Wed 05-Jan-11 18:06:26

Gosh! Agree with others...if that is what you really want to do to feel good then fine, but must say it sounds quite ambitious!
Could you not put on an exercise DVD whilst baby is napping? or long walks with baby in the pram (or a sling even better!) Do you have partner? if so maye a half hour gentle run in the evenings when he is home may be less stressful.Do also remember that it takes time for your body to heal. Your baby is little for such a short space time of time you really do need to cut yourself some slack and enjoy him/her. (speaking a ssomeone who has "been there, done that" 6 times LOL)
Failing all of the above I suggest browsing the online sales and buying clothes in the next size up for a while!!wink

Booh Wed 05-Jan-11 18:09:43

Four weeks for me as a childminder. It was very easy as baby was bottle fed and already in a good routine

nannynick Wed 05-Jan-11 18:12:26

If Strix wants to do exercise without baby coming with her, then that's her choice. Certainly easier to do a BodyPump class without a baby in tow!

Strix - not aware of any minimum age restrictions under legislation.

I would wonder though if 3 months is more usual due to vaccinations, as by then they will have had at least one round of DPT-Hib & Polio.

eeyore12 Wed 05-Jan-11 19:07:01

the youngest my mum has has a mindee is 10 weeks and that was full time. Don't think there is a min age, it is 6 weeks for nurseries but for care at your home or at a CM don't think one applies.

pickyourbattles Wed 05-Jan-11 19:13:54

nannynick, don't think anyone would disagree with that but, for a lot of women, it would be an incredibly tall order to be back in their pre-pg clothes by the time the baby was 3 mths old. I think that's why concern was being expressed.

StarExpat Wed 05-Jan-11 19:30:15

Strix is an experienced mother and knows what she's talking about

She's also had a nanny before so I assume she knows the difference between nanny and cm and what she wants.

I'm not a stalker, promise! I just know posters who have posted often over here as I love this board on MN grin

StarExpat Wed 05-Jan-11 19:31:58

NannyNick - re: vaccinations, not necessarily, if the parents don't want to vaccinate. I wonder if cms have stipulations about that (dc need to be vaccinated)?

looneytune Wed 05-Jan-11 19:32:59

No age limit.

2 of my 3 year old mindees started with me at 8 weeks old and it was absolutely fine. Another started with me at 5 weeks old for adhoc care (it was actually their due date as they were early but they were fine and I had their sibling anyway) and then properly at 7 weeks old and that was fine too. But I would see how you feel about it once you've had the baby and not put too much pressure on yourself, it has to be what you want!

RealityIsShaggingWithIntent Wed 05-Jan-11 19:41:00

StarExpat Wed 05-Jan-11 19:51:33

I was in PJs for a couple of weeks, but back in pre-preg clothes within a month because of rapid weight loss due to very low iron (6.8 still at week 2), constant breastfeeding and very little appetite/exhaustion. Pre pg clothes were hanging off of me, though. Not a good look. So I don't recommend that route.

Strix Wed 05-Jan-11 19:53:11

I'm tickled that so many of you think I'm a naive 1st timer who is still pregnant. And here I thought all the world knew me -- at least on the childcare boards. grin

Baby was born on 16th December, which makes him 3 weeks old. I am due back in the office in mid March, which gives me 2 months to lose any excess, which I'm very happy to say is only about 5 pounds. I don't think this is overly ambitious. However, suggestion about body pump and running at this stage are overly ambitious. I was thinking about a walk on the tread mill or maybe slow motion cross trainer with just me and my beloved iPod. Jumping up and down is way out of the question until my scar does a bit more healing. But... my legs are ready for a work out.

AND...

I miss it. I like to work out. I like to be fit. And I so LOVE the idea walking up hil and breathing at the same time. Oh how I have missed my energy levels.

And as far as the wardrobe costs, you guys are crackers. Replacing an entire work wardrobe would cost a whole lot more than I am prepared to spend.

O, and one more thing... who says I'm not enjoying my lovely little newborn. There are 24 hours in a day. I think we can bond just fine during 22 of them.

looneytune Wed 05-Jan-11 19:58:52

Just seen what Star said and realised that of course she's already a mother. Look, if that's what you want to do then you go girl!! grin I went back to childminding when ds2 was 10 weeks old (and he was a nightmare baby) and I had 4 under 19 months a few days a week - it can be done wink I didn't, however, manage to get back into old clothes for at least 6 months but I do tend to put on around 3 stone when pregnant blush. I was actually only going to take 4 weeks off so planned to go back when he was 2/3 weeks old - definitely pleased that a mindee's mum talk me out of that one!!! wink

I will say a lot of people won't take them as young as I do (when one of the mums was pg I was asked how soon I could start and I said straight away, although would prefer to wait until they were at least discharged from hospital wink, however, I think 3 months onwards is fine for a lot. Best to ask around and see if there is an option first I guess

TheCrackFox Wed 05-Jan-11 20:00:07

But you only have 5 lbs to lose - easy peasy. Yes, it would be nice to have a CM look after the baby whilst you are at the gym but it might be tricky to arrange now. Just chuck the baby in the pram and go for lots of long walks.

Do you have a DP? could he look after the baby after work whilst you nip to the gym? Completely understand the need to have a few hours to yourself.

looneytune Wed 05-Jan-11 20:02:39

x posts, Strix, I just wanted to say that had I registered your name when I read it, I would never have thought you were a naive first timer wink I'm sure you'll find someone to help out for a couple of hours whenever you need - if you were in my area I'd be begging to help out (well, if I had a vacancy).

If you look at the direct gov site, I'm sure they state what age the cm takes from? They certainly did with the old childcare link site (why oh why did they have to change that!!)

pickyourbattles Wed 05-Jan-11 20:07:28

Lol Strix! grin I wasn't so much concerned about you spending time away from your baby as the damage you were going to do to yourself blush cos when you said CM I thought you were going to be working out for 8 hrs a day like those slebs do grin.

5 lbs should, literally, be a walk in the park in two months surely. I'm sooooo envy that that is all you have to lose!

What about a buggyfit class?

StarExpat Wed 05-Jan-11 20:20:25

I'm sure there will be a cm who will take him for a couple of hours per day. In fact, I believe you may live near me. If it's not too far, PM me and I can ask my cm if she could do it (not sure about her numbers, so would have to ask, but she's the best cm in the area grin ).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now