Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

what should my cm be doing?

(36 Posts)
mankycat Mon 03-Jan-11 20:49:07

my son has been going to his cm since he was 8 months, he is now 2 & 4 months. I took on more hours when he turned 2 and because my cm didn't work 4 days I sent him to nursery for one day.

He is doing so much more at nursery craft, painting, drawing forming friendships very quickly considering he is only there one day. At his cm he has brought home so much as a scribble. My friend has 3 under 3 at a cm and I noticed that she had handmade calenders, xmas cards which where done at her cm's. Should she be following some sort of curriculum? I would love to send him to nursery 4 days it would be 100 a month more expensive im paying £4.40 per hour and I provide food nappies etc. Im starting to feel that im just paying for a baby sitter. On the other hand she has been reliable not been off sick once since he has been going never let me down. Im going to contact the nursery to see if they can fit him in an extra day.

Has anyone had simular experience or have any good advice?

southeastastra Mon 03-Jan-11 20:51:03

wow did a 2 year old homemake a calendar! talented

mankycat Mon 03-Jan-11 20:54:41

i asked for advice not some pathetic childish comment grow up

Tootlesmummy Mon 03-Jan-11 20:59:02

Manky CM's don't follow a curriculum but they do tend to do things with the children they look after. I think it is a difficult one as lots of parents prefer the CM set up due to the span of control being smaller and children are in a home from home environment. Those who send them to nursery like the reliability and also the fact it is sometimes more educational based.
I prefer the nursery set up and feel for my DS he is getting more from it.

Maybe speak to your CM to see if she can do more with you DS.

southeastastra Mon 03-Jan-11 21:01:08

well sorry but you sound as if you want something 'material' to show from your child who is only 2

StarExpat Mon 03-Jan-11 21:02:16

My DS goes to a cm. He does crafts daily. He brings some home with him and delights in telling us "I made it!" He's 2 years 3 months.
He's learned the names of some shapes since being with her, gotten better with counting and concept of number, colours and loves the other mindees (and the cm, of course). I don't really see that he would be learning anything more at a nursery tbh. And she's never off sick.

LesbianMummy1 Mon 03-Jan-11 21:02:49

your childminder should be using the early years foundation stage framework same as the nursery. There is statutory guidance and also a framework for guiding children's development through. Ask your cm if your son has a learning journey and to see what he has in there I do various activities with the children i care for but some do more than others as it is up to them if they want to participate in that activity.

Rosebud05 Mon 03-Jan-11 21:03:15

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me will be along to advise you about EYFS, record books, Ofsted etc, but I just wanted to say that tbh, I would evaluate your son's experience on the relationship he has with his childminder (and you have too) rather than what crafts he comes home with.

What does she say that they do together? When I used a childminder, she always briefly outlined their day when I picked my dd up.

Rosebud05 Mon 03-Jan-11 21:04:30

and relationship that you have too

StarExpat Mon 03-Jan-11 21:05:50

Actually, tootles, I thought cms followed EYFS. In fact, I know my cm does...
I thought it was a requirement. confused

southeastra I agree you don't need something material from the child, but my DS does love bringing something home sometimes and very proudly showing it to us and trying to tell us about how he made it....etc (just a paper with stickers or drawings of circles, even, doesn't have to be fancy)... it often sparks memory from the rest of the day and he can tell us about what he enjoyed (we also use the photo that cm provides on his daily diary to help trigger conversation about it).

StarExpat Mon 03-Jan-11 21:07:27

xposts and by "it" at the end, I meant his day not the craft.

mankycat Mon 03-Jan-11 21:21:38

I am happy with he the reliability and when he was a baby it was probably a good setting. He calls her nanny he calls every older lady he he sees on a reglular basis nanny

When we are at home I do get the colouring out etc but he loses intrest but feel around other people he engages alot better. Her home is always relaxed, clean and homely. I do feel that maybe the relationship between us has become relaxed rather than a business arrangement. She is a nice lady I have had boundries by not becoming too friendly as things can go wrong in these arrangements. I feel because I haven't asked for a record before she may feel that I was being funny. I was a new mum and all this was new to me at the beginning. I would rather be a stay at home mum but finances dont allow and with the recession etc I didn't want to give up my job just incase there wasn't anything left for me to go back to.

His counting is appaling he wont count and his worker at nursery is trying differnt approachs to help him count. I count everything with him when we walk up the stairs, toy cars numbers in the bath. His talking has come on leaps and bounds since being at nursery but I cant be sure this is just his age or being at nursery?

Im so confused about what to do?

nannynick Mon 03-Jan-11 21:27:37

Not all children like doing craft. Not all childcarers like doing craft. Some children won't do craft stuff... then suddenly at some point towards the age of 3 they start to take more interest in craft type things.

Maybe until recently your son has not shown any interest in doing craft things when he has been with his CM.

BoysAreLikeDogs Mon 03-Jan-11 21:43:57

yy nick

She should be keeping some kind of record of his time with her, showing how he is developing, with photos, observations (he did this, or that) with thoughts on what are called Next Steps (he did this, and that, lets see if he might be able to so the other) and should be sharing this with you - ask to see his Learning Journal (she may call it another name, like EYFS file or that ilk)

Counting isn't all about reciting the numbers; it can also encompass more/less, floating/sinking; if you have concerns about his acquisition of language then ask the CM and nursery to observe, feed back to you then consult your HV if you feel it necessary

Oh, colouring: hang on and I'll find you a link about why gross motor movements must be firmly embedded before finer work can be accomplished; boys often take longer to master this hence why sitting at a craft table is often not liked by boys [sweeping statement obv]

BoysAreLikeDogs Mon 03-Jan-11 21:50:16

mrz Wed 25-Aug-10 08:34:23
You might like my list of activities to develop fine motor skills for pencil grip and gross motor skills needed to actually write.

Fine Motor Skills
Things to remember:

Upright working surfaces promote fine motor skills. Examples of these are: vertical chalkboards; easels for painting; flannel boards; lite bright; magnet boards (or fridge); windows and mirrors; white boards, etc. Children can also make sticker pictures; do rubber ink-stamping; use reuseable stickers to make pictures; complete puzzles with thick knobs; use magna-doodle and etch-a-sketch as well. The benefits for these include: having the child's wrist positioned to develop good thumb movements; they help develop good fine motor muscles; the child is using the arm and shoulder muscles.
Fine Motor Activities
Moulding and rolling play dough into balls - using the palms of the hands facing each other and with fingers curled slightly towards the palm.
Rolling play dough into tiny balls (peas) using only the finger tips.
Using pegs or toothpicks to make designs in play dough.
Cutting play dough with a plastic knife or with a pizza wheel by holding the implement in a diagonal volar grasp.
Tearing newspaper into strips and then crumpling them into balls. Use to stuff scarecrow or other art creation.
Scrunching up 1 sheet of newspaper in one hand. This is a super strength builder.
Using a plant sprayer to spray plants, (indoors, outdoors) to spray snow (mix food colouring with water so that the snow can be painted), or melt "monsters". (Draw monster pictures with markers and the colours will run when sprayed.)
Picking up objects using large tweezers such as those found in the "Bedbugs" game. This can be adapted by picking up Cheerios, small cubes, small marshmallows, pennies, etc., in counting games.
Shaking dice by cupping the hands together, forming an empty air space between the palms.
Using small-sized screwdrivers like those found in an erector set.
Lacing and sewing activities such as stringing beads, Cheerios, macaroni, etc.
Using eye droppers to "pick up" coloured water for colour mixing or to make artistic designs on paper.
Rolling small balls out of tissue paper, then gluing the balls onto construction paper to form pictures or designs.
Turning over cards, coins, checkers, or buttons, without bringing them to the edge of the table.
Making pictures using stickers or self-sticking paper reinforcements.
Playing games with the "puppet fingers" -the thumb, index, and middle fingers. At circle time have each child's puppet fingers tell about what happened over the weekend, or use them in songs and finger plays.

Place a variety of forms (eg. blocks, felt, paper, string, yarn, cereal, cotton) on outlines
Match shapes, colour, or pictures to a page and paste them within the outlines

Self-Care Skills
Buttoning
Lacing
Tying
Fastening Snaps
Zipping
Carrying
Using a screwdriver
Locking and unlocking a door
Winding a clock
Opening and closing jars
Rolling out dough or other simple cooking activities
Washing plastic dishes
Sweeping the floor
Dressing
Scissor Activities
When scissors are held correctly, and when they fit a child's hand well, cutting activities will exercise the very same muscles which are needed to manipulate a pencil in a mature tripod grasp. The correct scissor position is with the thumb and middle finger in the handles of the scissors, the index finger on the outside of the handle to stabilize, with fingers four and five curled into the palm.
Cutting junk mail, particularly the kind of paper used in magazine subscription cards.
Making fringe on the edge of a piece of construction paper.
Cutting play dough or clay with scissors.
Cutting straws or shredded paper.
Cutting
Use a thick black line to guide cutting the following:
A fringe from a piece of paper
Cut off corners of a piece of paper
Cut along curved lines
Cut lines with a variety of angles
Cut figures with curves and angles

Sensory Activities
The following activities ought to be done frequently to increase postural muscle strength and endurance. These activities also strengthen the child's awareness of his/her hands.
Wheelbarrow walking, crab walking
Clapping games (loud/quiet, on knees together, etc.)
Catching (clapping) bubbles between hands
Pulling off pieces of thera-putty with individual fingers and thumb
Drawing in a tactile medium such as wet sand, salt, rice, or "goop". Make "goop" by adding water to cornstarch until you have a mixture similar in consistency to toothpaste. The "drag" of this mixture provides feedback to the muscle and joint receptors, thus facilitating visual motor control.
Picking out small objects like pegs, beads, coins, etc., from a tray of salt, sand, rice, or putty. Try it with eyes closed too. This helps develop sensory awareness in the hands.

Midline Crossing
Establishment of hand dominance is still developing at this point. The following activities will facilitate midline crossing:
Encourage reaching across the body for materials with each hand. It may be necessary to engage the other hand in an activity to prevent switching hands at midline.
Refrain specifically from discouraging a child from using the left hand for any activity. Allow for the natural development of hand dominance by presenting activities at midline, and allowing the child to choose freely.
Start making the child aware of the left and right sides of his body through spontaneous comments like, "kick the ball with your right leg." Play imitation posture games like "Simon Says" with across the body movements.
When painting at easel, encourage the child to paint a continuous line across the entire paper- also from diagonal to diagonal.

Activities To Develop Handwriting Skills
There are significant prerequisites for printing skills that begin in infancy and continue to emerge through the preschool years. The following activities support and promote fine motor and visual motor development:
Body Stability
The joints of the body need to be stable before the hands can be free to focus on specific skilled fine motor tasks.
Wheelbarrow walking, crab walking, and wall push-ups.
Toys: Orbiter, silly putty, and monkey bars on the playground.

Fine Motor Skills
When a certain amount of body stability has developed, the hands and fingers begin to work on movements of dexterity and isolation as well as different kinds of grasps. Children will develop fine motor skills best when they work on a VERTICAL or near vertical surface as much as possible. In particular, the wrist must be in extension. (Bent back in the direction of the hand)
Attach a large piece of drawing paper to the wall. Have the child use a large marker and try the following exercises to develop visual motor skills:Make an outline of a one at a time. Have the child trace over your line from left to right, or from top to bottom. Trace each figure at least 10 times . Then have the child draw the figure next to your model several times.
Play connect the dots. Again make sure the child's strokes connect dots fromleft to right, and from top to bottom.
Trace around stencils - the non-dominant hand should hold the stencil flat and stable against the paper, while the dominant hand pushes the pencil firmly against the edge of the stencil. The stencil must be held firmly.
Attach a large piece of felt to the wall, or use a felt board. The child can use felt shapes to make pictures. Magnetic boards can be used the same way.
Have the child work on a chalkboard, using chalk instead of a marker. Do the same kinds of tracing and modeling activities as suggested above.
Paint at an easel. Some of the modeling activities as suggested above can be done at the easel.
Magna Doodle- turn it upside down so that the erasing lever is on the . Experiment making vertical, horizontal, and parallel lines.

Ocular Motor Control
This refers to the ability of the eyes to work together to follow and hold an object in the line of vision as needed.
Use a flashlight against the ceiling. Have the child lie on his/her back or tummy and visually follow the moving light from left to right, to bottom, and diagonally.
Find hidden pictures in books. (There are special books for this.)
Maze activities.

Eye-hand Coordination
This involves accuracy in placement, direction, and spatial awareness.
Throw bean bags/kooshi balls into a hula hoop placed flat on the floor. Gradually increase the distance.
Play throw and catch with a ball . Start with a large ball and work toward a smaller ball. (Kooshi balls are easier to catch than a tennis ball.)
Practice hitting bowling pins with a ball. (You can purchase these games or make your own with pop bottles and a small ball.)
Play "Hit the Balloon" with a medium-sized balloon.

This list is compiled by one of the teachers on MN, mrz; sorry it's so long but it's very interesting to see what movements and muscles are needed to scribble and eventually draw and write.

StarExpat Mon 03-Jan-11 21:51:26

He's only 2.4, right? This is probably a coincidence of his age. Not all 2 year olds can count. Counting is not as important as concept of number, either. For example, I'm much, much happier that my DS knows when shown piles of cookies, for example, that one pile has "2" in it, one pile has "lots" and one has one and knowing which has the most cookies, which has the least amount, which has one for each hand...etc. iyswim. Without getting into too much detail.

Cm should give you a daily diary, surely, right? Mine comes via email that evening, which I prefer and is fine - I mostly look forward to the photo I feel like I get to peek into his day a bit. PFB / only/ first time mother stuff, perhaps blush

StarExpat Mon 03-Jan-11 21:53:21

sorry after 1st paragraph, with much much happier that....

should have ended with
than that he can count at all. I'm much less concerned with rote counting in order. I'm a primary teacher and have a degree in developmental psychology, so this stuff just interests me anyway. Sorry to drone on.

sheeplikessleep Mon 03-Jan-11 22:01:07

What a fab post boys - I'm going to copy and print this off, thank you.

BoysAreLikeDogs Mon 03-Jan-11 22:05:45

ah, don't thank me, it's all the work of mrz

smile

cinpin Mon 03-Jan-11 22:30:41

Does it really matter if he is not counting yet, I expect he will when he starts school. Childminders can go out much more with the children. Nurseries are more geared up tO learning as they have a long day to fill.

pippin26 Mon 03-Jan-11 22:57:52

thats a contradiction in terms cinpin - all my minded children 'learn' while they are with me - they just learn in a lot less unstructured, natural way/environment.

OP - don't worry - your little one will learn what he needs to when he needs to.
all children are different and sadly we are all too obsessed in this country that our children have to be constructively learning something and by key ages/points. Why?
My (just turned) 6yr old is not a fab reader at all - in actual fact he is still learning his cvc words. I am not bothered at all and school haven't figured out don't pressure him or me - cus neither of us are interested. He knows his sounds and blends and can sound out words which in the long run is way better than learning them by rote and immediate sight/recall. he will read in his own time.
The thing is he is proficient in so many other things that his peers aren't, such as dance, sports (including motor sport), he is logical, he has amazing social skills.

What is odd - I have done all the same things with him as my other two children:
eldest is a fab reader - could pick up any book by the age of 8 and read it, middle child loves books and reading but is dyslexic so struggles (think youngest is too but we don;t consider it a hinderance).

i stand by what I say - too much pressure and expectations for our children to perform.

pippin26 Mon 03-Jan-11 23:00:55

oh and going back to my minded children and their learning - they all learn brilliantly in their own way and what they need to - such as personal hygiene, empathy, colours, caring for a pet, personal skills, telling a story, singing, dancing, science and maths - growing a plant, baking etc

the list is endless......

as a minder I am homebased and am not out and about ALL the time and when we are out - its a fun learning experience - such as shopping for supplies, putting money in the bank (or taking it out lol), doing library books etc etc

StarExpat Mon 03-Jan-11 23:03:10

I agree, pippin. I would not be able to teach in a British school. Uknational curriculum is ridiculous at primary level. I had to compare 5 curricula from different countries last year and reception "expectations" here are just silly IMHO

cinpin Mon 03-Jan-11 23:13:02

I must have came across wrong Pippin, I totally agree with you, I think all under fives should learn through play,

pippin26 Tue 04-Jan-11 08:16:37

Sorry Cinpin, I am rather passionate about this subject and can come across as such ! smile

StarExpat - that research comparision sounds really interesting.

I just don't understand WHY we expect and pressure our tiny children so much

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: