Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Is anyone else connected to the Armed forces and a childminder

(27 Posts)
forthesakeofauldSaltire Mon 03-Jan-11 13:34:55

A neighbour of mine is registering with OFSTED. They have sent her a form to fill in so that SSAFFA (forces welfare) can do checks on her and her DH
because she lives on an RAF base in the UK

and because she has lived in a married quarter in scotland

Now, correct me if I am wrong here, but surely that's why CRB/Disclosures are done?

When she queried it, OFSTED just kept saying "well you have to fill on in it's a requirement if you don't we won't register you"
When her DH pushed further (because it asks for his service number, length of service etc) he was told
"Well firstly you lived in Scotland and the military in Scotland is very very different to the Military in Englandhmm, and it's very difficult to regulate and check on people who live in married quarters. If you lived in wales you'd ahve to do tehm too because the military in wales is different againAlso you currently live on a camp and again you can't have proper checks done because of the military"

I didn't have to fill one in. Wondered if it was a new thing?
I am going to post this over on forces sweethearts too, it's give them a laugh

forthesakeofauldSaltire Mon 03-Jan-11 13:35:19

It's me, Saltire btw with my new Year name grin

GoldFrakkincenseAndMyrrh Mon 03-Jan-11 13:42:22


I've never heard that before...

onimolap Mon 03-Jan-11 13:48:27

WTF again!

SSAFA is an independent charity and I can't see what on earth it has to do with CM registration.

[It does have a section which specialises in assessing Forces families as prospective adopters and foster parents, simply as the families move around, including overseas, which makes it hard to deal with one local SS].

forthesakeofauldSaltire Mon 03-Jan-11 14:05:20

Oh yes, it's true. I ahve seen the form and heard the phone conversation.

Personally, I think it's discrimnation about Forces Dependents and serving personnel.

The front of the form states
"ofsted needs to carry out checks to establish the suitability of a person to work or be in regular contact with children. - yes that what CRB disclosures are for - and then the next bit
For persons who have lived or worked overseas on a military base it is difficult to carry out the standard checks, such as local authority or CRB checks, because of mobility and time spent abroad

I think the words overseas and abroad are significant here, my friend has never left UK soil

seb1 Mon 03-Jan-11 14:23:36

In Scotland I thought you would be covered by Disclosure Scotland which will soon be replaces by PVG Scheme your disclosure would be done by Care Commission soon to be replaced by SCSWIS

onimolap Mon 03-Jan-11 14:28:22

If you're no longer in, say, Germany I fail to see how SSAFA could possibly do any checks that could be relevant.

StarExpat Mon 03-Jan-11 14:39:02

Is your neighbour able to take that family for you?
how is it going now, Saltire?

forthesakeofauldSaltire Mon 03-Jan-11 15:07:25

Seb1 - yes in Scotland it's Disclosure Scotland (I did childmidning there for 5 years)

onimolap - yes, I too don't see how SSAFFA can do anything different if the eprson hasn't lived voerseas at all

starexpat - she's got 3 reception age children lined up sad.

StarExpat Mon 03-Jan-11 15:26:08

Are the children back with you now?

LeonardNimoy Mon 03-Jan-11 15:28:56

It's standard, I have several friends who are childminders and connected to the forces and anyone who has lived on a crown military base ABROAD has a check done on them by SSAFA. If your friend has only been in the UK, then SSAFA will not need to do any checks on her, which is good as they are notoriously slow!

LeonardNimoy Mon 03-Jan-11 15:31:16

However, Ofsted are crap at realizing the difference between a UK base and a non UK one. I have just been CRB'd as a childminder assistnat and it took about 3 phone calls before Ofsted could grasp the fact that yes, my DH is in the Army, but no, Dorset and Wiltshire are not outside the UK and therefore I do not need a SSAFA check

forthesakeofauldSaltire Mon 03-Jan-11 15:31:48

She hasn't ever lived overseas. Ever.
And OFSTED are saying "it's a requirement of OFSTED that you fill this form in because you lived in Scotland and on an RAF base in England(because the military is different and living in an MOD owned house makes it difficult for OFSTED to regulate themhmm
They told her if she doesn't fill in the form then they won't register her

LeonardNimoy Mon 03-Jan-11 15:36:21

Thats bollocks saltire. she needs to ring Ofsted. SSAFA only do checks on poeple who have lived on a crown base outside the UK. My CRB came through last month and the application forms clearly stated it only applies to outside the UK. It was my first dealing with Ofsted and they seem very dim-witted on the phone, but she needs to ring them and point all this out.

forthesakeofauldSaltire Mon 03-Jan-11 15:36:48

my friend is going to ring again tomorrow but only after she has spoken to SSAFFA person and RAF families lot to see what they say

forthesakeofauldSaltire Mon 03-Jan-11 15:38:02

""It was my first dealing with Ofsted and they seem very dim-witted on the phone,""

Those of us who have dealt them with before know how dimwitted they can be,and not just on the phone.grin

GoldFrakkincenseAndMyrrh Mon 03-Jan-11 16:02:33

OFSTED are very very (notoriously) dimwitted.

I'm loving the idea that Scotland and Wales are these exotic overseas places just because OFSTED don't regulate the CMs there. And as fir needing a special check for having lived in Dorset and Wiltshire hmm dimwitted doesn't describe.

On the other hand they're perfectly happy to CRB (with a hefty delay) anyone who has lived overseas but not on a base.

Hope she gets it sorted!

onimolap Mon 03-Jan-11 16:44:30

But what would SSAFA actually check?

If you were actually overseas, I can see the point; they could eyeball the premises and check local references (if CMs overseas need OFSTED registration in the first place). But if you've moved on, what then? Service records aren't kept there, and there might be no-one left who knew you.

forthesakeofauldSaltire Mon 03-Jan-11 18:47:19

onimolap - well according to my friend, OFSTED told her that SSAFFA check out people's suitability to look after children becasue "they aren't regulated in MOD owned houses and because the military is different in Scotland (and Wales), then they aren't regulated and able to be checked out sufficiently"

onimolap Mon 03-Jan-11 19:22:14

Good grief!

I had a low opinion of OFSTED but that hits a new nadir.

nannynick Mon 03-Jan-11 19:36:57

Is the SSAFFA check in place of the Social Services check, or additional? That's something to ask them, as it's a waste of Government time and money if they do both.

Saltire Mon 03-Jan-11 19:39:22

Nick - I don't know, she has forms for CRB and ones from HR assurance services (to verfiy identity). Is CRB and social services checks the same thing?

nannynick Mon 03-Jan-11 19:43:11

No. CRB is different.
Not heard of HR assurance services.

Saltire Mon 03-Jan-11 19:46:34

HR assurnace services apparently deal with "Identity verification" and she ahs to fill the forms in and get them verified by a "suitable person" ( and on the list is Member of HM Forces) which includes checking birth certificates, passports, utility bills etc. and then they get sent back, along with CRB forms.

I haven't heard of anyone ever having a social services check to be a CM before. Except it seems service familes cos we are all bad buggers, lol

Saltire Tue 04-Jan-11 09:31:59

Ok friend spoke t OFSTED todaya dn was told that " well, you lived in Scotland on a military base and we(OFSTED) have no jurisdiction in Scotland and therefore everyone who leaves Scotland to come and work as a childminder has to fill in one fo these forms"

Friend - everyone? Even some random woman who lives in Glasgow and decided to move to Devon to be a childminder, she has to fill in a SSAFFA form?"
OFSTED _ no, because she's civilian she just fills in the usual applications forms, and you lived in a married quarter and it's a governemtn requirement that everyone hwo ahs lived in a foreighn country such as scotland fills on in because SSAFFA wouldn't have any records would they of a civilian but they keep lots of records on everyone in the military and their family"

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: