Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Looking after friends DC for few days - what do I need to know?

(11 Posts)
ChrisTingles Tue 21-Dec-10 22:26:10

My friend has sadly got to go out of the country between xmas and New Year to go to a funeral and for various reasons cannot take her DC and has no other family that can care for them as they will all be there too.

I will be looking after her 3 DC for 72 hours - not sure whether at my house or hers, but as she is so far away and probably not contactable unless a real emergency, please can you help me think of things that I need to know about before she goes - have got details of Drs; allergies; medication - is there anything else that I need to know?

MrsFogi Tue 21-Dec-10 22:31:27

What ages are the children? I think it would be easier to do it at her house - the children will be in familiar surroundings, have their toys etc etc

ChrisTingles Tue 21-Dec-10 22:37:04

8,6 and 3 - the 3yo worries me as she's so young and never been left without her parents. I think own bed and own toys is a good idea thanks MrsFogi

nannynick Tue 21-Dec-10 22:38:41

Have their Red Books... that way you have their early medical info. Ask about anything medical related that isn't in the book - so anything that is recent usually.

Make sure they bring with them comfort toys, favourite books, puzzles, toys.

If very young, can be useful to have a non-washed (so it smells a bit) item of mums clothing such as a t-shirt. Can be a comfort to a young child who is very upset about mum not being there. Also having photos of mum can help.

In some ways it is easier at their house... as then the children are in an environment they know well and feel safe in.

snice Tue 21-Dec-10 22:41:13

might you need some letter from the parent to say you have authority to make decisions etc in case of emergency? eg in case of hospital treatment
I know it v probably won't be needed though..

nannynick Tue 21-Dec-10 22:49:47

Ask about things they like to do, places they like to go. The eldest two children may be able to tell you of places they like locally.

Have some ideas yourself of things to do to keep them entertained. It's good for them to have someone do different things with them... so if you are passionate about something, teach them about it. Be that history, cooking, making bread (children love playing with dough).

Finding things to do in winter, especially Xmas to New Year week may be tricky as a lot of places may be closed. Get out of the house every day though... even just for a walk around the block - ideally find a local park.

ChrisTingles Tue 21-Dec-10 22:57:41

Thanks thats all really helpful.

MJB66 Wed 22-Dec-10 08:21:13

Food, find out what they like too eat.
Prehaps mum could batch cook a few meals and freeze.
Nothing worse than looking after someoneelse's DC and they 'dont like' what you've cooked made them..

karen2010 Wed 22-Dec-10 11:35:00

going for a walk around the local area is good at night time as you see all the decorations

look in local paper online to see if they have any features on really special ones

if going to their house look on netmum or here to find what is going on in local area

takes some dvds and popcorn and have movie nights

lifeinagoldfishbowl Wed 22-Dec-10 13:20:37

Get her to write a medical consent form incase they need medical treatment.

Karoleann Wed 22-Dec-10 15:57:35

get her to write down exactly what she does on a day to day basis - I have a "bible" that i leave for people looking after the children eg 7am get up and they watch tv 7.30am have your shower 8am breakfast Dc1 has ...... etc.
Also suggestions of local activities eg the library you can go to. It may help if your friend arranges a play date for each child so you get a bit of a break too.
Good luck, my friend looked after both odf mine last summer and she/they were fine (she was knackered though!)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: