Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Delayed pick up due to snow.....

(12 Posts)
Millenium Sun 19-Dec-10 15:32:25

Just wanted to know what others do in the situation when the mindee's pick up from me is delayed because the parent(s) have been held up getting to me because of the atrocious weather. On Friday, one parent took nearly 90 minutes to get to me on what would have normally been a 10 minute journey.

So, the question is, would you make a charge for those extra 90 minutes?

looneytune Sun 19-Dec-10 15:34:16

I once had a mindee 3 hours late (due at 6, arrived at 9) due to floods and they normally take 10/15 mins to get to me. I did NOT charge because it was extreme and beyond their control. I would have charged the next day if they were late as they had enough warning to allow more time for it.

HTH

ChasingSquirrels Sun 19-Dec-10 15:36:31

As a parent - I would expect to pay, and (paying in advance as I used to) I would ask how much or give the money before the CM had a chance to mention it.

No, it wouldn't have been my fault - but it wasn't the CM's fault either, and she was looking after my child.

reddaisy Sun 19-Dec-10 15:38:19

How about a compromise of half-price?

looneytune Sun 19-Dec-10 15:39:03

I do think a parent should offer, I just personally would refuse the extra if this was a family who normally was fine, didn't take the mick etc.

nannynick Sun 19-Dec-10 16:30:39

I agree with Looney, I also feel the parent should offer... then up to the childcarer if they accept or not.

One off problems happen. What gets to be a problem is when it happens too often.

HSMM Sun 19-Dec-10 19:41:27

I'm afraid I would charge if they ran over my closing time, not if they were late for their normal pickup, but still within my opening hours.

I would see if there was anything I could offer in return (ie extra time another day), for the reliable lovely parents who never give me any trouble.

But ... I would still charge.

pollywollyhadadollycalledmolly Sun 19-Dec-10 20:04:24

I would still chagre.

thebody Sun 19-Dec-10 20:13:07

i dont charge for occasional and unavoidable incidents of late pick up.. but if it became the norm then of course I would have to have a little chat...

jendot Mon 20-Dec-10 09:06:41

I would expect the parent to offer to pay and if they were usually reliable and on time then I would refuse.
J x

ojmummy Mon 20-Dec-10 09:18:46

I am a parent who uses a CM for my DS and I would pay her. I also do ad hoc nannying and if I was nannying & parents were delayed by that long I would expect to be paid or given time back in lieu if do-able.

theevildead2 Mon 20-Dec-10 09:52:04

I think they should offer, and then you should refuse.. (all a bit complicated really lol)

But if they didn't offer something (and they can afford it) I think I would probably charge.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: