Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

please help

(16 Posts)
baba74 Sat 18-Dec-10 15:18:46

hi, i'm mother of a 10mth old little girl and i'm going back to work on a "random" basis from the second half of jan/beginning of feb. random means that i will be working if i'm needed, with a notice of a week or so. i've been on dozens of websites and looked at various ads but nobody seems to offer a childminding service that is suitable for my situation...can anybody help? i'm really desperate! thank you

BoysAreLikeDogs Sat 18-Dec-10 15:23:11

after jan/feb will you remain 'random' or will you get a work pattern then?

You might find a CM who might be happy to offer you 'ad-hoc' care (you might pay a bit extra) or you could be asked to pay say half for the days you don't need each week

Ring your Local Authority, ask for the Early Years team and get a list of CMs in your area then slog through the list

cat64 Sat 18-Dec-10 15:28:30

Message withdrawn

baba74 Sat 18-Dec-10 15:35:37

yes, i know i am not the ideal customer! but what can i do? it's either this or resign! anyway i'm going to do what you suggested, phoning and asking and nagging if necessary! thanks!

BoysAreLikeDogs Sat 18-Dec-10 15:38:10

baba if I had a space I would take you, as cat says, on the proviso that if a permanent mindee came up we would have to go our seperate ways

hard times for CMS as well at the mo, have a ring round on the list, as I suggested, you might be pleasantly surprised

chin up

Blondeshavemorefun Sat 18-Dec-10 15:56:39

would you consider a few nannies?

obv you would prefer one carer but it may be a solution

may be worth looking on your local net mums on childcare board and often there are nannies looking for ad hoc work

might be worth meeting a few and then once you have your work dates to call to see who is free

nannynick Sat 18-Dec-10 16:00:11

Maybe a local Creche as they can provide care at short notice. They may have restrictions on how long a timer period during the day. Some creches are restricted to only providing care for parents staying onsite - while others will care for children of parents working locally.

If you are in Ascot/Sunningdale area then I know of a creche opening sometime in January that is aiming to provide that kind of care.

KatyMac Sat 18-Dec-10 16:01:22

It might be worth signing on as ad-hoc & ringing round 3 or 4 childminders to see if any have a space on any given day

Booh Sat 18-Dec-10 16:30:55

You see as a childminder I could offer this. I am never full through choice, and sometimes it would be nice to have another child for a few more hours to boost my income!

gizzy1973 Sat 18-Dec-10 18:51:11

you might find a nanny with her own child may be willing to take on as hoc hours

CarGirl Sat 18-Dec-10 18:54:00

Some may be happy for you to may a minimum per week and then pay for extra as and when required........

ChildrenAtHeart Sat 18-Dec-10 22:52:16

I'm like Booh, I prefer not to fill all my spaces, so am happy to offer an ad hoc/occasional care service but I don't advertise this so its definitely worth you ringing around as we won't be the only ones

MJB66 Sun 19-Dec-10 09:07:13

Like Booh and CAH, I too am never full thro' choice, but to have a little one on ad hoc 2 or 3 times a week, would be great.

MJB66 Sun 19-Dec-10 09:16:09

Oh have you tried
the famiy information service on the web
or
your local Children Center
or
www.childmindinghelp.co.uk
or
www.emergencychildcare.co.uk

Your local primary school may hold a list of local childminders

just a few ideas smile

chitchatinsantasear Sun 19-Dec-10 11:01:29

Perhaps there might be a family who might be willing to nanny share on an ad hoc basis? Maybe agree to at least 1 day per week, with flexibility as to the day and you could increase it as needed.

nanny1 Tue 21-Dec-10 21:49:12

Hi baba! Whereabouts are you based? I'm a nanny, and may be able to help out...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now