Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Cm's have you had this? (have a read)

(10 Posts)
MUM2BLESS Wed 15-Dec-10 23:30:19

Recently there has been so many children off sick at my son's infant school. some coughing, vomiting, high temp etc etc.

Have you had parents bringing their chidlrne to you even though really they should be at home in bed? ie looking tired, almost doppin goff to sleep, etc etc etc.

I know that parents do not want to keep having time off as they have a job they want to keep. At the same time I do want the other children to be off too. I need to also be well enough to childmind.

I may have to send the parents a reminder that I cannot look after a child who is unwell.

if a child is ill and the school call the parents, can they ask the school to let the childminder collect the child and keep them?

Would love to hear from the childminders and the parents too.

BoysAreLikeDogs Wed 15-Dec-10 23:43:26

they school should only ring you to collect the child if you have been put as a contact by the parents

reissue your sickness policy to all parents so that you are reminding all rather than singling one family out

I don't accept children with D and V, and exclude them for 48 hrs per HPA advice; I don't accept children with a temp, and send home if they develop one during their time with me; I don't mind coughs and colds, par for the course

HSMM Thu 16-Dec-10 07:30:25

I am a contact for the school/preschool, so I can collect a child who has had a (minor) bump on the head, or because the school has closed for boiler repairs, or whatever. Like BALD I would follow the HPA guidelines on whether the child is well enough to come to me and I also phone parents to come and collect children with rising temperatures.

looneytune Thu 16-Dec-10 09:24:55

I do the same as BALD and wouldn't take a child from school if they were 'poorly'. If they had an injury bad enough to need to go home from school then I'm guessing they'd also not be fit for coming to me but I'd be willing to take them (if I had space) if it was just minor (although I'd then be a bit hmm that they were sent home in the first place). I'd be fine to collect if they had a proper bump and didn't want to wait for parents if they worked a fair way away, but it would be temporary until the parents got home. Nothing about that is in my policies though, just general sickness as per the guidelines.

MUM2BLESS Thu 16-Dec-10 10:39:51

Thanks.

I had to tell a mum that I could not take her child who had chicken pox. I thought it would have been ok if the spots were out but after speaking to a gp I was told it was still contagious. She had not too long ago returned to work. It had to be done.

I think I need to be very clear with what I will and will not do.

Its not easy dealing with a child who really should not be with me but at home.

looneytune Thu 16-Dec-10 10:46:03

Do a letter and issue this with it HPA Guidelines for Childcare Settings. Maybe also mention that any child with a temperature will be excluded and also if they are not well enough to participate in normal activities? (i.e you accept with normal coughs and colds but if they are too poorly to join in, they are best at home)

MUM2BLESS Thu 16-Dec-10 10:49:26

Thank you for that looneytune.

looneytune Thu 16-Dec-10 10:57:10

No probs smile

lollipopmother Fri 17-Dec-10 20:57:04

All of my mindees and DD has a horrid cough atm, none of them are sleeping properly so they all look dozy!!

This week I had a mindee that had 5 bouts of very loose nappies in one day, said to mum not to bring her if she had another. Mum brought her the next day - she had another 3 loose nappies then projectile vomited all over the kitchen floor. I can do horrid nappies as I wear gloves, nappies go straight in bags and out into outside bin, I anti-bac/disinfect the nappy mat etc, but I do not do vomit, that is my limit!! I suppose really I should've gone with what I know is right, and told her after the first day not to come back for 48hrs after baby is well, but there are so many reasons for children having awful nappies and I am sure mindee is teething, so I was hoping it was just that. confused

thebody Fri 17-Dec-10 21:48:54

yes yes yes.. all mindees have been poorley and for the very first time had to send one little boy home as temp was v.v high..and he has had febrial fits previously and didnt want to have to deal with that again..

used to be in the medical profession so can cope with this tbh and the parents know that I can... we all have had cold after cold here, me, my dcs and mindees and the parents...have spent a fortune on anti bac I reakon..

but very strict on diarrhoea!! iycwim and always send home for this...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now