Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childminders - advice please, lovely people!

(9 Posts)
bloomingnora Tue 14-Dec-10 17:18:35

Please can I pick your brains over a dilemma I am having?

I currently employ two childminders to look after DS2. Originally we found childminder A and wanted her to do all the days required but she was unable to. She really wanted to do all the days but found a friend, childminder B, to cover the ones she couldn't do. Due to a change in circumstances A will be able to do all the days from a few months time. Can I give notice to childminder B? Is it legal? Is it unfair? Am feeling really ill, so cannot sort this in my brain!

They are both absolutely amazing, kind, reliable, friendly, great Ofsted reports but B lives about a mile further away and I am often a few minutes late for work on her days.

What should I do? Apart from give them great Christmas bonuses for being so wonderful.....

Thanks in anticipation

Nora

BoysAreLikeDogs Tue 14-Dec-10 17:26:17

As long as you give notice according to your contract then you'll be fine; we CMs know that work comes and goes

CM B will appreciate if you give her even more notice, to give her chance to fill the space

And be absolutely sure that CM A is watertight before you give CM B notice

HTH

bloomingnora Tue 14-Dec-10 17:29:54

Thank you so much for that speedy response. It's also term time only and I think that although CM A really likes that CM B would rather have year round. Or perhaps I am trying to make myself feel better!

BoysAreLikeDogs Tue 14-Dec-10 17:32:09

horses for courses, innit

OH and I forgot to say sorry you are not feeling well

bloomingnora Tue 14-Dec-10 17:36:54

Thank you. I am cooking the dinner with two bits of loo roll up my notrils and have just realise that people can see in the window as they walk past blush

minderjinx Tue 14-Dec-10 17:43:27

Of course it's legal as long as you give proper notice, and I think it's fair in the circumstances. I think if you give her plenty of notice and a nice reference minder B should be fine with your decision, especially if you explain that the only issue is the distance.

bloomingnora Tue 14-Dec-10 17:46:07

She will definitely get a glowing reference. She is very, very good.

BoysAreLikeDogs Tue 14-Dec-10 17:49:38

lol at walrus tissues

and a lovely reference is a nice touch

you sound like a super parent to work with

[flowers]

bloomingnora Tue 14-Dec-10 17:55:55

Aw, shucks...I am just bloody grateful that there are people foolish lovely enough to change DS2's nappies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now