Advanced search

been a bit silly, anything I can do? cm advice pls

(9 Posts)
shinygiraffe Mon 13-Dec-10 14:24:27

Hello I have been really silly and not had my business head on.

Basically I took on a child of a friend of a friend, I know her quite well, inn touch on FB but dont see her often, anyway as I knew her I didnt take a deposit.

I looked after her little girl for 3 months, got paid fine each month, then one day she didnt come and I got a text to say she was ill, next week she came but mum told me she was splitting up with husband and things were difficult at home. She gave me notice but said she wouldnt be sending her again. She was very upset and to be nice I said I'd back date her notice and just charge for the full month (so only 2 weeks she would be paying but not coming.)

I sent the invoice and didnt hear back, so a few days later I text to see how they are and remind her of invoice, nothing back. I have now fb messaged her and still heard nothing.

I know I've made mistakes and stupidly thought I could trust her, but is there anything else I can do?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

ChippingIn Mon 13-Dec-10 14:30:53

SillyBilly Shineygiraffe

You could talk to your friend and see if she can suggest anything.

I guess there is some official route you could go down and others will be along shortly who can advise you of what/how to do that.

I am a bit of a softie and considering the shit situation she is in, would probably just let it go and fill the position ASAP, but if it's left you in the poo then hopefully you can get the money one way or another.

looneytune Mon 13-Dec-10 14:36:35

I'd have said the same as ChippingIn but only IF you could afford to. I personally wouldn't be able to as my dh was made redundant over a year ago and we're struggling as it is. I think you were kind enough to let her off half of the money.

I presume you posted the invoice to her home address? I'm just wondering if she's moved out? I would probably ask your friend if she knows if she's still at that address but obviously not saying anything about the money due to confidentiality.

It's a difficult one as on paper I presume you have a month notice period and unless you wrote to her saying she could just pay half, then 'officially' she owes more than what you've put on the invoice. Actually.......could you just call her maybe? Or pop round to her house to see if she's ok and see what she says?

Not a nice situation

shinygiraffe Mon 13-Dec-10 14:41:43

Thanks for the advice. Your right its not nice and I do want to sort it without getting funny about it. I do need at least some of the money as I am 4 months pregnant so not looking to take on anymore children. I guess I'll try talking to her and at least try to get the money for the 2 weeks before she gave notice, maybe suggest she can pay after Christmas. I suppose everyone gets a lesson learnt at some point!

ChippingIn Mon 13-Dec-10 14:49:59

We sure do

I am sure some of the other CM's will be along shortly to give you some other suggestions. I don't know how you enforce payment legally.

TitianTinselTemptress Mon 13-Dec-10 14:54:48

I am not a CM so don't really know why I'm here TBH (!) but I really don't think you should involve your friend - that seems quite unfair as she will be dragged into this uncomfortable situation and I think it compounds your 'unbusinesslike' approach IMO.

Good luck sorting it though, not a good time of year to be owed money. Could you try to agree a monthly payment for the amount she owes you?

TitianTinselTemptress Mon 13-Dec-10 14:55:28

I put that in inverted commas as it was your own description BTW, hope I didn't sound rude

shinygiraffe Mon 13-Dec-10 15:10:35

thanks TTT! Monthly payment sounds like a good idea. I guess I'll give her a few more days then contact her again with some friendly suggestions.

nannynick Mon 13-Dec-10 16:25:25

Legal route I think is Money Claim Online part of HM Courts Service. Cost is £35 if claim amount is under £500. See the guidance for full details of costs.

Sounds like you may not have an address for her anymore... so may be hard to serve court papers.

Try to get in touch with her and agree a settlement amount and payment plan.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: