Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

What are you getting your CM for Christmas?

(45 Posts)
sheeplikessleep Wed 08-Dec-10 17:45:19

Stuck for ideas! I know she doesn't drink. TBH, I don't really know that much about what she likes or dislikes, as pick ups and drop offs are always such a rush. That sounds awful, but I don't know what she is 'into' (we always end up talking about either the kids, or some course she is on, or little stuff like house renovations etc).

HELP!

dinkystinky Wed 08-Dec-10 17:46:25

Have got our nanny a nice pair of leather gloves and a candle to go with a cash bonus.

stomp Wed 08-Dec-10 18:02:07

I like the idea of a cash bonus grin. Sadly in almost 20 years of minding only one set of parents have ever given me a cash bonus- very generous they were, and always twice a year too....<dreamy icon>

Ideas: a pot plant(flowering),candles, handcream (we childminders wash our hands so much they are always sore),scarf- warm or just pretty for days off.
Avoid chocolates unless you know she's not permanently on a diet, alcohol unless your sure she loves a drink wink smellies unless you know what she wears (she probably wears baby sick and playdough most of the time so perfume is a bit of a waste)

jamaisjedors Wed 08-Dec-10 18:07:45

We do a cash bonus and then a bunch of flowers on her birthday.

She also likes an up-to-date photograph of the DS in a frame - I need to do a new one - she has asked me to.

I appreciate not all cms would want this though.

Our friends do a case of champagne.

jamaisjedors Wed 08-Dec-10 18:08:08

sorry, missed the bit about her not drinking.

dobby2001 Wed 08-Dec-10 18:57:42

I have never had a cash bonus but have had gift vouchers for Pizza Express with promise to babysit my DD grin lots of body shop and lush smellies (must check anti perspirant works hmm) lovely jewellery and scarfs from one mum who seemed to know my likes - amazing seeing as she only saw me in plain tops and jeans a la my "uniform" so keep own clothes baby snot free grin

Oh and lots of bottles of wine and boxes of chocolate mmmmmsmile

StarExpat Wed 08-Dec-10 20:08:53

How much did you get as a cash bonus? I'm considering adding this to a gift, but not sure how much is usually given? Not same as a nanny, I hope blush as I wouldn't be able to afford it But wondering if what I can afford would be something that would be seen as "generous" or not... DS and I both adore her.

sheeplikessleep Wed 08-Dec-10 20:55:37

thanks for all the ideas, some great suggestions, thankyou

jamaisjedors Wed 08-Dec-10 21:01:51

We have given our cm 150€ since DS2 was born - but she is pretty exceptional and even looked after DS1 while DS2 was being born (and offered to come out in the night if I went into labour then).

I think they would be happy with a gesture, when I tried to sound people out about this, that was what I was told.

bessyboop Wed 08-Dec-10 21:34:39

shock £150! I was thinking of giving my lovely childminder a cash bonus, she looks after my two DD. But can't afford £150. Was thinking more on the lines of £50, plus I will get her a nice hand lotion. Also I've bought a white tea towel, and will get DD1 to draw a picture on it - something she can keep, and to remember my DDs in years to come! (If she wants to remember their mischievious ways!) wink

Iamcountingto3 Wed 08-Dec-10 21:39:42

I'm putting together a 'special breakfast set' for my childminder - nice Bucks Fizz, panetone, home made spiced chocolate, home made (by dcs) jam ... probably try and get a nice mug or somilar to go with. It's a present for the whole family, as my cm's family all look after my dcs

StarExpat Wed 08-Dec-10 22:19:35

I thought £40, but that's only 1 day's pay to her from me. It's really what I can afford... But would cms on here think that's a nice gesture or otherwise(tight/thoughtless/cheap...?)?
Along with a gift, of course.

KatyMac Wed 08-Dec-10 22:30:28

I would be massively chuffed with that tbh....even without a present

It's money DD, DH & I could use to do something nice together - or even to take some time off so that we can do something together

KatyMac Wed 08-Dec-10 22:31:31

Starexpat - I meant to say - very generous

Jojay Wed 08-Dec-10 22:34:05

I've got her a Clarins gift set thingy and I'll get a tin of biccies type family present too.

PositiveOutlook Thu 09-Dec-10 06:40:18

One days wages as a gift/bonus would be lovely. I wouldn't consider that cheap.

StarExpat Thu 09-Dec-10 08:46:34

Thanks Katy and Positive
I wasn't sure since it's one day's wage from me, so much less than one day's wage for her in total iyswim. But I think I'll do that along with a small gift.

dmo Thu 09-Dec-10 09:36:09

i got a ponsetta plant once which was nice smile

to be truthful i dont normally receive gifts from my mindees and i dont expect them eirther but i always buy my mindees a gift and thanks what brings me happiness

my birthday is on 15th Dec so very near Christmas and i dont think any of my parents know when it is grin

i hope i am a good cm and i do get lovely text from parents thanking me smile this saturday i am going shopping with a mindees mum as they are moving house this week and she doesnt speak good english and i will help her buy a washing machine, fridge and a dinning table, as i have lived here forever i know the best places to shop grin

jamaisjedors Thu 09-Dec-10 11:07:12

Sorry, didn't mean to suggest you should give that much, just that that was what we had given (in EUROS, not pounds), because she does SO much for us.

We can afford it and I'd rather she had the money when she needs it, as I said, we started it when she helped us out so much with DS1 when DS2 was born, and that year she also had a death before Christmas so had lots of extra costs.

Once we had started it (3 years ago) we wanted to continue because we didn't want her to think we appreciated her less as time went on!

minipen Thu 09-Dec-10 11:15:57

What about a cinema gift card & some chocolates, does she have a children? £25 would cover a family ticket ish & gives them something to enjoy. £40 is a lot, I would go around £25, even an M&S voucher, she could buy food, buy herself something or use it towards Christmas shopping.

StarExpat Thu 09-Dec-10 12:58:46

I assume you're replying to me,mini? Sorry I've hijacked the op's threadblush

All great ideas thank you!

belindarose Thu 09-Dec-10 18:20:24

Oh my goodness, I can't afford presents like these. I'd bought a nice tin of choc biscuits for cm to share with her dh who helps her out. Will they be offended? As a teacher, I'm always delighted with little presents or thoughtfully written cards. New to this cm stuff.

KatyMac Thu 09-Dec-10 18:22:23

Not at all

Being remembered is enough....honest

ssd Thu 09-Dec-10 18:26:46

its really nice you all give your cm's a gift, I'm sure anything however small is much appreciated, don't feel you have to stretch yourself, your cm will be delighted you have thought of her

CrimboCakeandRoses Thu 09-Dec-10 18:41:17

Sorry to hijack but I always have the same dilemma with our cleaner - some brilliant ideas for presents here.

If anyone's got any more ideas I'd be v pleased to hear them.

Nb: I would give her a bonus but she's very funny about being given money/vouchers etc and won't accept presents except at xmas

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: