Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Ofsted registration for nanny/first aid certificate/stressing

(12 Posts)
pecanpie Wed 08-Dec-10 15:43:15

My nanny is contractually obliged to be Ofsted registered so I can pay her with Childcare vouchers.

3 months down the line, we've still got nowhere - she needs a lot of guidance to get paperworky things done.

I've paid Ofsted the registration fee. They are doing a CRB check. Nothing is happening and I get the impression it may have something to do with first aid certificates - which is a requirement as far as I can see for the voluntary register - can someone please confirm?

I've deduced today, that if so:
Nanny hasn't sent Ofsted first aid certificate because they have been lost by nursery where she also works
It is likely to be out of date anyway

How quickly can I get her on a course?
How much does a course cost?
How quickly will Ofsted process things once they have confirmation - will confirmation that she's on a course on x date do?

Am stressing because I have childcare vouchers stacking up to pay her with which I can't currently use and meanwhile am burning a hole in my pocket trying to pay her each month...Thankfully get a back to work bonus, but need to get this all sorted by mid Jan otherwise we're a bit stuck.

We love our nanny for so many reasons and don't want to make things difficult for her or us, so not sure how I can press the issue that she needs to get this sorted/lay out costs if necessary etc. Any thoughts???

pecanpie Wed 08-Dec-10 16:15:28

Oh and any ideas on courses in St Albans/North West London BEFORE Christmas?

nannynick Wed 08-Dec-10 17:34:05

Go to this webpage (St.John Ambulance) and scroll to the bottom. Enter in your Postcode and click Search.
The course title is: Early years first aid (paediatric)
It is 12 hours long, often split over 2 days.

Cost varies by location, often £112-£124.
There are courses in January in Stevenage and Harrow with spaces (looking at the list now) but they are weekday courses. Next weekend course is in Marylebone starting 29th Jan.

Red Cross is another provider but all their courses currently being listed Jan-March are weekdays, not weekends.

Your nanny needs to establish what is needed by Ofsted. Has your nanny spoken with Ofsted recently to check progress of their application?

Meemsical Wed 08-Dec-10 18:46:24

Or try ringing your local council, they are likely to arrange courses for childminders & will have Ofsted recognised First Aid courses running very regularly.

This is what I did & they squeezed me in for the following weekend (two Saturdays in a row, 12 hours in total) I paid £80 & was very happy with the service. I received my certificate at the end of the second session.

GoldFrakkincenseAndMyrrh Thu 09-Dec-10 00:07:10

Ofsted won't process the registration without the certificate.

As well as the options mentioned trya lady called Margaret Smith in Pinner/N London area who runs them relatively frequently and is recommended by several nannies on a different website.

On a completely separate not could she not request a copy of the certificate from the training provider if the original has been lost by the nursery?

WhyIsThatThenWithJingleBells Thu 09-Dec-10 09:43:05

My first aid was part of the icp course. I paid £70 for the course and the 1st aid. afaia you have to have done the icp and first aid to register with ofsted hmm

I am in Bucks, on the edge of the Chilterns so not a million miles away but obviously out of county. I am more than happy to provide you with the contact details for the icp course i have done (last one tonight - yippee!)

clayrebear Thu 09-Dec-10 09:59:09

When I started my ofsted applicatin I didn't have a current first aid certificate. They were happy to start the process and for me to send in a copy of the certificate when I had done the course.

pecanpie Thu 09-Dec-10 17:22:36

Thanks all and Nanny Nick as always for all the detail. You really should publish a nanny manual for nannies and employers! I looked around a bit and I've found one which is running in December, Ofsted approved etc. We tried to get hold of the certificate from the original provider, but it has just expired. Frustrated because Ofsted haven't sent out CRB forms to nanny yet, despite having applied and paid about 8 weeks ago. CRB checks can take forever and with Christmas only a couple of weeks away, I'm sure this will add to the time it takes. Really need this to be sorted by end Jan at the very latest. Any experience on CRB checks going through super quickly, esp in Herts?

nannynick Thu 09-Dec-10 18:55:41

Don't know the current process as been a while since I registered... but it sounds as though things are getting rather delayed at the moment. Has your nanny checked with Ofsted as to progress... asked them when the CRB check paperwork will arrive.

pecanpie Fri 10-Dec-10 15:45:18

She received it today after calling them for the second time already. Taking weeks...

pecanpie Fri 10-Dec-10 15:45:18

She received it today after calling them for the second time already. Taking weeks...

ChippingIn Sat 11-Dec-10 19:16:09

I just had a CRB check done and it took 7 weeks... [mine was done online in Hants area]

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: