Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Do you pay your nanny the same for babysitting as you do for nannying?

(17 Posts)
MrsFogi Tue 07-Dec-10 23:38:23

The reason I ask is that prior to having our nanny we used a local babysitter (for occasional evening babysitting) and is cheaper than our nanny's hourly rate. It would feel a bit odd having the babysitter turning up before our nanny went home but at the same time if I use our nanny (who is willing to do babysitting) at her day rate our evenings out will be much more expensive. Has anyone got any experience?

catherinemummy Wed 08-Dec-10 00:22:27

We do but it does make nights out expensive. Nanny is fully aware that I do babysit swaps with another mum to cover most of our evenings out. It's actually worth more to her as we give her her gross wage as cash rather than going via the payroll for the maybe 4 times a year we use her.

I don't see that she can object to you using your usual babysitter unless you have it in her contract that you will only use nanny! If she wants to know why then be upfront. She may agree to babysit at lower rate!

Oligo Wed 08-Dec-10 00:37:07

I (nanny) usually get for my normal day rate. I suppose because I could be doing other things in evening I think of it as antisocial hours and all that. They don't have to use me and have back ups for when I can't do it. Only reason I'd do it for less is if it was very local and I needed the extra money/had absolutely thing else to do.

ChippingIn Wed 08-Dec-10 00:55:55

Could you pay her cash (net) for babysitting? You'd pay anyone else cash, then she gets the same and you aren't paying the tax/NI - would that make the rate similar to what you'd pay a babysitter?

I wouldn't feel bad doing that, if it was only for the hours I'd pay another babysitter.

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 08-Dec-10 12:14:29

just say to your nanny that you are only paying £X to bs and that if nanny wants to work for that, then you will offer her all the hours first

my mb always asks me first if i am feee and then if im not i ask one of my nanny mafia friends and can always find someone as they all love my mb/kids even woofa lol

but mb pays myself and my friends the same, tho does sometimes use a younger girl in the village if for an hour or 2, just qualfied and think she charges £6 to our £10

Karoleann Wed 08-Dec-10 17:20:06

I pay less, currently £10/hour for day and £8/hour after normal bedtime. I do sometimes use sitters agency in the evening and the nanny waits for them, but its usually when she's got something on and doesn't want to babysit.

Strix Wed 08-Dec-10 17:49:34

We have a normal overtime rate. It does not go up in late hours, or depend on the duties at hand. So if kids are sleeping she gets the same as if she was doing the school run with a couple of friends in tow.

I could hire a b-sitter agency (i.e. sitters) but I think as a courtesy it is only right to offer the job to the nanny first. However, I make it very clear she is free to turn it down, and then I call sitters.

DilysPrice Wed 08-Dec-10 17:59:58

I pay normal daytime rate, it is expensive though, but OTOH she usually has to get them into bed which deserves danger money.

cinpin Wed 08-Dec-10 19:17:01

I am a nanny and I charge two pounds less then my dail.y rate when they go to bed.

santascoming2town Wed 08-Dec-10 22:35:41

I get more for babysitting! It's overtime really isn't it and makes it a very long day for me

Tarenath Thu 09-Dec-10 08:11:18

I generally get overtime rates for babysitting, but then mostly I'm doing bedtime routine as well. My employers do have an agency that they use, but I get first choice.

colditz Thu 09-Dec-10 08:25:28

If it gives you any perspective, the 'night' sleepover rate for support workers working with challenging adults is about £4.11 per hour.

easilydistracted Thu 09-Dec-10 10:59:52

We pay our nanny more -- her normal rate is 8.50 which goes up to 10 for babysitting!

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 09-Dec-10 16:37:00

easily - is that because of unsocial hours?

seems weird to charge more in evening when sitting on her bum

as i said i charge the same as its still my time

easilydistracted Thu 09-Dec-10 16:45:39

She didn't ask for more, we do it partly because she has to stay after an already long day, partly because its only a few pounds difference at the end of the week so we just round up her wages -- doesn't happen that often though!

euracantha Sat 11-Dec-10 09:16:25

I get the same £8 for babysitting as I get during the day.

Bink Sat 11-Dec-10 11:30:52

We have a formal 'babysitting' hourly rate (in the contract) for our nanny, which is different from (lower than) day rate. But these things are always context:

- ds & dd are older (11 & 10) so there is none whatever of settling/dealing with crying etc. - the job involves making sure their lights are off at a set time & then being free to get on with own emails, relaxing, etc.

- and because they're older we can get agency babysitters on same-day notice (whose charge is lower than nanny's babysitting rate) so although we give nanny first option of babysitting nights there is never ever any compulsion

- and nanny is after-school only, so doing babysitting does not mean she ends up with a 14 hour day or anything like that.

So in those exact circumstances a lower rate seems fair (and nanny didn't object to it at all when we were doing the contract). But I can imagine circumstances (with much younger children etc.) where the night work is tougher than the day work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now