Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How much to pay nanny with own child...

(13 Posts)
janeya1980 Tue 07-Dec-10 13:31:52

Hi,

I'm currently interviewing for a part-time (3 days) live out nanny. I have 3 DCs and will need 8am - 6pm. My two older DCs will be at school all day. The nanny who fits the bill perfectly wants to bring her own 18mth old with her and has stated her rate at £10/hr net. We are in the South East but not London.
Does this rate sound reasonable? I thought it shound have been more like £10/hr gross, not net.
Thanks

nannynick Tue 07-Dec-10 14:27:46

As a nanny in the South (West Surrey) who Does Not bring a child with them, I get around £10 gross. So I feel £10 net is high (plus if nanny is asking for net wage for a part time job, I would wonder how much they know about taxes in the UK - why a net salary?).
Have a look through other threads on hear about nannies brining their own child to work - most parents would expect to pay a reduced salary. I can't remember the percentage less, but I think it was 25%-35%.
Also consider if having another child around is really what you want. During school holidays/inset days, will nanny be able to transport all 4 children?

nbee84 Tue 07-Dec-10 14:28:39

Does sound on the high side. I am South East, 25 years experience and. without taking a child I am on £11ph gross

BlockedPoster Tue 07-Dec-10 14:32:44

£10/hr net is the rate for a nanny who doesn't bring a child with her.

If the nanny brings her own child along, it's a share.

Find out the going rate, knock off 30% and offer her that.

Blu Tue 07-Dec-10 14:33:11

It was a long tome ago, so amount no longer relevant, but we paid our nanny about a quarter or third less than the going rate for being a nanny share with herself, and providing her own childcare along with ours.

Her child was the same age as ours, so they played well together and had the same interests and needs re outings, naps etc. her child will be a 2yo by the time the summer hols come....she may be potty training at some stage when she has all day care of your older ones..how will that work to enable your children to have lots of age-appropriate activity?

janeya1980 Tue 07-Dec-10 15:05:45

Thanks for the replies.
nannynick - I know she works for another family too, so probably does a full time week

annh Tue 07-Dec-10 15:42:04

I am also in the South East and about to (I hope!) employ a nanny on £9 ph net - obv I will be quoting a gross salary but that is what it will work out to. All the nannies who were interested in the role asked about £9-10 net per hour but one who applied with her own child wanted £8.50. Ten pounds per hour strikes me as at the top of the range for a nanny without child.

nannynick Tue 07-Dec-10 17:24:29

>I know she works for another family too, so probably does a full time week

Vital that you agree a Gross salary, as the other family may be using all her personal tax allowance, thus tax in your job may be done at Basic Rate.

annh - think you are quite near me, so could I ask if your new nanny will be after-school or full-time? I'm on less than £8 net for 40hr week, wondering if that is low for local market rates these days.

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 07-Dec-10 18:06:36

im in the se and get £10nett about £14gross

seems a lot for a nwoc to me - prob nearer £7/8 nett - whatever that works out gross

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 07-Dec-10 18:06:53

nick, i think you get underpaid

nbee84 Tue 07-Dec-10 18:46:56

I've always thought that Nick's salary seems on the lower side too. Particularly when I hear all the extra bits he does (like the plumbing) and all the ativities he does with the children - he's worth a fortune and I hope his family really appreciate him!

annh Tue 07-Dec-10 19:14:20

Nick, yes I am in your neck of the woods, I think you would probably work/babysit around here. I am only looking for after-school four days a week so that may command a premium rate, although I have never quite understood why. Presumably nannies (or anybody in any area of work) who specifically works part-time chooses to do so and should not be getting a higher rate for this. It seems to work in reverse in most other occupations! Anyway, I interviewed three candidates, all of whom wanted the same amount, so while I would like to get away with a bit less as my boys are 9 and 12 and require much less input than smaller children, that seems to be the rate around here. I also think if you are getting less than £8, you are out of line with what it is possible to earn around here.

nannynick Tue 07-Dec-10 20:44:49

The family I work for really do appreciate me, I know that. I also like working for them, so wouldn't change to another family just for more money.

I expect I've been out of line with salaries for some time... think its due to not that many families being prepared to consider employing me - when someone thinks of having a nanny, most I feel don't think of having a bloke. Therefore far less choice of jobs available.

Annh - I suspected that your job was after-school, as I seem to recall you mentioning it in the past. That sort of job does seem to get paid a little more, in terms of hourly pay. I'm not sure why either.

nbee84 - talking of plumbing... I was Heating Engineer last week, resolving the most likely reason for the boiler stopping working. Pipe insulation makes for great swords (1m long), very low cost as well with a pack of 5 foam pipe covers around £3.50

janeya - sorry for hijacking your message thread. Though thinking about it, it does raise the issue of pay rises. May be wise to build in to your costs pay rises that your nanny may have during their time with you, especially if you are likely to employ them for several years.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: