Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Works trip to panto

(8 Posts)
Lindax Thu 02-Dec-10 11:05:09

every year our workplace organises a panto trip for employees children. I have been asked to be a "helper" and look after the kids.

We will have 18 kids age 5-10yrs old and two helpers.

Someone has said this is an illegal adult to child ratio.

I have searched internet but can only find information on registered childminders.

Is this true? Baring in mind we are not offical childminders, just helpers at a Panto. Parents will drop off and pick up kids.

I am in Scotland if that makes any difference.

If you can give me a link with information would appreciate it.

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 02-Dec-10 11:38:27

tbh i wouldnt have thought it would have been illegal as not being paid

but

what you do need to think about is that if some need to go to the toilet, obv an adult needs to go with them, so that would leave 1 adult maybe looking after 16 children if other took 2 to the loo

i think ofsted say 1 adult to 8 over 3's but i think thats silly and unmanageable personally when doing a trip out of familiar surroundings

sure nick will be along to offer better advice but personally i would want at least 1 more if not 2 more helpers so 4 in all to 18 children

nannynick Thu 02-Dec-10 16:53:41

Scotland: Health and Safety on Educational Trips

No definitive answer as will depend on local authority rules/guidelines. However those rules/guidelines may only apply to educational establishments.

You need to consider that the younger children will possibly need more adult assistance than older children. 1:8 or 1:6 I would suspect would be workable but consider how toilet arrangements will be handled. Also consider seating arrangements - you probably want to avoid some children sitting in a small group on their own.

Danthe4th Fri 03-Dec-10 17:20:47

If the parents are dropping off and picking up I would ask them to make sure the children go to the toilet before leaving them. As a parent I would probably stay in the bar drinking coffee of course while enjoying a bit of peace, you could always ask another parent tpo stay if theres a spare ticket.

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 03-Dec-10 17:27:06

dane, i have taken many children to the panto and we always wee before hand and i can guarantee that 1 of my 3 if not both (youngest in nappies) will need to go again 90mins later in break - even if limit their drink and just stuff them with sweets grin

frasersmummy Fri 03-Dec-10 17:27:33

I dont know the legal answer but I do brownies (which are similiar age) and we have to have a ratio of 1:6 when we are out and about at panto etc

You will need more than 2 of you esp when you are coming out at the same time as the rest of the theatre and its dark .. otherwise you will struggle to keep them all together

good luck and remember you have to join in!!!

elphabadefiesgravity Sat 04-Dec-10 22:16:58

I run a chilldren's activity and our insurance company says we have to have 1:10 ratio for theatre trips.

The legal ratio to chaperone children performing in panto is 1:12!

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 05-Dec-10 11:06:25

1:10 so if op went with 18 children she would be within her legal rights having 2 adults?

completely nutty,as i said before if 1/2 wanted the toilet, that then leaves 16 to one adult, therefore then making it illegal

so surely they def need 3 staff for when one goes off with some children?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: