Advanced search

Ofsted voluntary register- confused about requirements

(6 Posts)
peapod2010 Wed 01-Dec-10 21:17:39

We will be employing an aquaintance as a nanny from January. It's a slightly odd situation but she has agreed to get Ofsted registered so that we can use childcare vouchers. I looked into the requirements a few months ago and thought all that was needed was a suitable paediatric first aid certificate and then the application would include an enhanced CRB check.

However, she's just finished the first aid course and, from speaking to others on the course she now thinks she needs to do a home based childcare course and also thinks that our house will have to be inspected. As this is contrary to what I had found out I've just done a bit more research and have found something about core childcare skills which I hadn't seen before. But there's definitely nothing about a home inspection- which is something that worries me as we live in an old house with loads of health and saftey hazards!

Is there anyone out there who has been through the voluntary resistration process help at all? Does she need to do a childcare course or would experience with her own children, helping at toddler groups etc be enough to prove she has the core skills? As we are paying for everything she needs to get registered I'm starting to wonder if it's really worth the hassle!

nannynick Wed 01-Dec-10 21:39:06

She will need to have childcare training recognised by Ofsted (or training which she could try to convince Ofsted would be suitable, such as if it was from another country).

CWDC Qualifications Database - the link should take you to Level 2 qualifications.

Ofsted: Guide to Registration: Childcare Register says "We will also accept any other training or qualification providing the childcare provider can demonstrate that it is Common Core compliant."
So it's the Common Core bit that looks to be important. There are training provides like MNT which do a specific course (not cheap). Local councils sometimes run courses that are suitable.

There is no Home Inspection. The inspector however will come to the nannies main place of work to inspect the nanny. It is the nanny they are inspecting, not the home.

peapod2010 Wed 01-Dec-10 21:55:50

Thank you, that's very helpful and much more so than the Ofsted website!

frakkinup Thu 02-Dec-10 07:04:33

She will also need insurance but she must pay for that herself.

As of January the course offered by local authorities will be CYPOP5, part of the new Diploma, which may be free so worth checking out. It replaces the ICP that MNT currently offer.

peapod2010 Thu 02-Dec-10 09:13:41

Thank you frakkinup. All these acronyms are new to me but at least I know what to look for now!

frakkinup Thu 02-Dec-10 10:40:27

MNT = the company nick linked to
The ICP = option 1 of their common core training, about to be withdrawn to be replaced by...

CYPOP5 which is the new common core unit. I can't remember what it stands for but it's something like Children and Young People OPtional unit 5.

Basically she needs to do the course that new childminders would do or the MNT one. If you want to get it free then best to contact the local authority's early years team and ask them what's happening.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: