Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CMs - Approach to Bank Holidays, please?

(26 Posts)
SnowieBear Wed 01-Dec-10 14:11:41

I could do with some advice, as I don't want to prejudice relationship with lovely new childminder.

I've just received her invoice for December - we agree on monthly advance payment, and it covers the whole month with the holidays at half-rate, as also agreed.

However, in the last week of December, Monday 27th and Tuesday 28th are designated Bank Holidays. In her invoice, she's charging me for both and I've pointed out to her that they are Bank Holidays this morning. Her point is that I'm paid at my work for "the whole month, Bank Holidays and all", which I do not think it is fair.

What's your view and what would you do in my shoes? I'll be seeing her later at pick up when we are to "discuss" again.

KatyMac Wed 01-Dec-10 14:13:56

What did you agree to in the contract?

SnowieBear Wed 01-Dec-10 14:15:56

That's it, I am sure we said BH not to be charged, but she still hasn't given me my copy... she said she'd check it out today.

Is it normal to charge for BHs?

looneytune Wed 01-Dec-10 14:17:08

This should all be clear in your contract? I USED to charge bank hols and was available (but would charge double if worked them) but for the last few years I've not charged as I am NOT available to work.

If you signed an NCMA contract, there is a section about this on page 2. But honestly, all these things she be clear before signing any contract.

looneytune Wed 01-Dec-10 14:17:45

Oh, that's not right that you don't have a copy of the contract!!! How long have you been using her?

SnowieBear Wed 01-Dec-10 14:30:42

We started in late September - she wanted to make sure I got the contract together with a copy of all her policies, but her printer was not working and is still not fixed. I've asked for it without the policies, but although she's said "yes, of course", I still haven't got it. I really don't think its done on purpose, but yes, it's not right... I've been waiting for the CM registration number for her also so that I can claim vouchers through work... still waiting...

themanwhocantbemoved Wed 01-Dec-10 14:32:48

My fantastic CM charges for Bank Holidays, but I warn her in advance that I will be taking leave, and therefore pay her half rate. I assume she is available for work then, but never used it do I wouldnt know!

looneytune Wed 01-Dec-10 14:33:54

About to get mindee up but wanted to quickly reply to that......I have printer problems on occasion but would always get the contract sorted first. Ask again! Also, it's not on that she hadn't given you her EY number, I know mine in my head but it takes 2 secs for her to look it up if she needs to as legally she has to have her certificate on display.

I'm more concerned about her not giving the reg number really, are you sure she's registered?

Be back later, probably not til after 6 now but I'm sure others will be about to help

SnowieBear Wed 01-Dec-10 14:40:39

Hi, thanks for the responses.

Yes, I am sure she's registered, and first thing we did was to sort out contract properly, I just haven't got my copy yet.

I'll report back later on how our conversation went in the evening, I will do my best to come away with my copy of the contract too!

themanwhocantbemoved Wed 01-Dec-10 14:59:34

When I was sorting out my childcare vouchers, it wasnt my CM's EY number that she needed to give me, it was a different number starting with a 'P' that had been issued to her when she registered herself with the voucher provider. My CM couldnt remember what it was and took a while to phone them up to be reminded and then get it to me etc! Maybe its the same thing you need too, rather than the EY number hence her not being able to just recite it or ook it up easily.

HSMM Wed 01-Dec-10 15:44:38

Ask her to give you the contract and email you the policies.

Danthe4th Wed 01-Dec-10 15:52:56

If she uses the ncma contracts then as you sign you then tear off the duplicate copy to keep. Not sure about the mm contracts or does she print off her own in which case she could change anything to suit herself.
It takes 5 minutes to get registered with a voucher company i would want to know what she is playing at, you could have saved yourself about £100 of tax so far!!
If she is not ofsted registered she will not be able to except vouchers, perhaps thats the problem.

MaybeTomorrow Wed 01-Dec-10 15:53:31

I have an agreement with my CM where if she charges me for BHs, she is prepared to take my DD. If she decides that she doesn't want to work on the BHs (because she wants to spend the time with her DCs and DH), I don't pay.

So if she's prepared to have my DD on the BHs, I will pay her, if she's not, I don't pay.

HTH

SnowieBear Wed 01-Dec-10 16:31:54

Yes, we used the ncma contracts, she just wanted to give me a full pack, i.e. contract AND policies at the same time, it keeps slipping. She's definitely registered and yes, I'm a bit miffed about the child vouchers and how much I've lost.

maybetomorrow, she does say she's prepared to work BHs (and according to the December bill, the full Christmas hols!). I'm more niggled than anything, as my instict tells me she's only saying she'd work, knowing full well I don't get much time off and would spend it all with DS. The big problem is that if I start developing trust issues I don't really have other options for childcare... I don't want to feel I've been taken advantage of, doesn't make for a good relationship, does it?

Booh Wed 01-Dec-10 16:38:20

You could just turn it around on her and say 'Oh as you have charged me for boxing day, I will drop X off as normal so that I can relax over xmas' ............I soon bet she changes her mind!!!

SnowieBear Wed 01-Dec-10 16:56:59

booh yes, that or she'll drop me like a hot potato and I'd be in a pickle re childcare.

MUM2BLESS Wed 01-Dec-10 18:48:57

Sorry that you are not happy with the agreement snowieBear.

Childminders differ. I have never worked a bank holiday and if I did I would charge a higher rate. I personally do not charge parents if I do not work them.

Booh Wed 01-Dec-10 19:06:04

But she can't drop you as you have a contract!

HSMM Wed 01-Dec-10 19:35:20

But ... she doesn't have the contract in her hands

If she is happy to work, then I would expect her to charge I'm afraid. There are several CMs who do work Bank Hols (definitely not me and I don't charge either).

frakkinup Thu 02-Dec-10 08:36:27

TBH I'd say 'don't worry about the policies, I just want a copy of the contract' and then let her either e-mail you the policies or get them to you later. Not having a contract is not on.

Without knowing what it says it's difficult to know what to do about BHs. Does she take paid holidays too?

I'd be veeery tempted to take the 'if she's charging she should be available' line and use her over at least some of the holiday period.

SnowieBear Thu 02-Dec-10 09:36:10

Hi all, thanks for the replies and comments. I've finally got a copy of the contract!

We had a brief chat last night - as it turns out, the bit about the BH had not been filled in and she filled it in at half rate then and there. Also, there were notes on a number of the school holiday weeks she would charge at full rate, and that includes the first week of the Christmas holidays, so my December bill ended up higher than it had been originally. In total, there are four weeks holiday a year at full rate, the only "no charge" is for her holidays.

I fully understand that CMs need to cover for holiday pay, etc, but I with my previous CMs the arrangements felt balanced. I feel as if I'm whingeing, sorry, but I can shake off feeling uncomfortable. She knows I don't really have other options sad.

frakkinup - I wouldn't call her bluff. TBH, spending time with DS is more important to me than proving a point.

looneytune Thu 02-Dec-10 09:56:42

Quick question........what did you mean about being charged full rate in the school holidays? Is you child of school age? If they are then the hours needed in the school holidays should have been discussed before signing. Can't give my thoughts on this until I know whether or not your child is at school and if they are, what hours you need in the holidays?

SnowieBear Thu 02-Dec-10 10:20:41

looneytune, yes DS is of school age, the contract is for before & after school care. The holiday charges (whether full or half fee) are based on the before & after school hours. If (big IF, I do try to organise to either cover myself or through family) I needed cover during holidays, then I'd have to pay a for the additional hours required on top.

SnowieBear Thu 02-Dec-10 10:22:51

I do accept this is not a question of right or wrong - she's entitled to go for whatever charges she wants and I can agree or go elsewhere. I wanted to see what other CMs did in similar circumstances, as my previous experience has been so different.

looneytune Thu 02-Dec-10 10:40:39

Ok, so fair enough she's charging the full days throughout the school holidays, that's normal. The bank holiday bit should have been filled in before being signed and as she missed it, you should have discussed before she added the bit in about half pay. She can't expect to just write in half pay without your agreement as the contract should then be invalid really.

It IS very common for people to charge for BHs but they should be available to work. It doesn't really matter that the BHs this time are Christmas time. Neither of those days are Christmas day or Boxing day as they are on the weekend this year (but if they were on a day you are contracted for, it's perfectly fine to charge as long as she's available).

But as you say, even if we don't think it's right, she can do what she wants really and it's up to you to accept or decline those terms. Having said that, if you weren't happy about the half pay, you should have said before she filled it in as you could have pointed out the contract is no longer valid with the updated terms.

Does that make sense? LOL

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: